Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

PS4 Physical Edition announced

Spoiler: show
    Square Enix today announced that physical copies of Secret of Mana will be available for the PlayStation 4 computer entertainment system on February 15, 2018. Available in limited quantities, these copies will be available exclusively at GameStop in the United States and EB Games in Canada, and available at all participating retailers in Latin America.

Those who preorder the game will receive special character costumes: “Moogle Suit” for Randi, Primm and Popoi, “Tiger Two-Piece” for Primm and “Tiger Suit” for Randi and Popoi.

Secret of Mana will be available digitally and physically for the PlayStation 4 system, and digitally for the PlayStation Vita handheld entertainment system and Steam.

Queen of the Pity Party
    BG Level

gender discrimination. WHERE IS MY RANDI BIKINI

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Where mah physical Switch at?

Can you spare some gil?
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Kirin View Post
    this with added game bonus including the original, because why not.

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

That previous gameplay vid not accurate.

Spiky Tiger can be hit by melee weapons when on one of the towers.

Hardest difficulty spike (heh...) boss ruined.

If you underlevelled/were a noob, that boss was hard. It was a boomerang/whip only deal.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith

Quote Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
    That previous gameplay vid not accurate.

Spiky Tiger can be hit by melee weapons when on one of the towers.

Hardest difficulty spike (heh...) boss ruined.

If you underlevelled/were a noob, that boss was hard. It was a boomerang/whip only deal.
    Tbh, with how buggy SD2 was, I wouldn't be surprised if that was simply just a bug, like infinite casting and maxing out your magic the second you get it.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

Yes please. I’m holding out hoping it a late announcement t. This would be a perfect portable game for the switch

BG's most likeable Québécois
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level

I love this sentence, I love how the switch makes gamers different in a sense (me included)

The switch might be really underpowered compared to Xbox and Sony, that's true. But it's not blocking people for enjoying it for what it is, Hybrid.

For me that has ALOT less time to play now, having the possiblity to bring the switch at work and play a bit before work starts or during dinner break is a giant plus. I woouldn't have time at all if i could only play after work when im at home.

Sony tried this in a sense with Vita and PS3(PS4) and it failed so much.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

So should I get this for vita for the portability since it is a great portable game or bask in the glory of it on ps4

Ze NinjaSYXX
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Nitsuki Syxx
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

So to anyone who got this, how is it?

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith

Quote Originally Posted by Nitsuki View Post
    So to anyone who got this, how is it?
    Officially unlocks in an hour or so but the pre-release copy I got it's ..interesting, only because it includes what's essentially the cut content from back in the day. People who (somehow) never played SoM probably will bitch about how "easy" and "simple" it is, people who exploited the living hell out of chain casting will be disappointed with this version of the game. So I mean, if you get over the fact it "feels" like a mobile game it's really not that bad, I'd have preferred a more stylized 2D update but it surprisingly works. You can switch between soundtracks so the rearranged soundtrack eventually grew on me, but playing this with the classic music I honestly enjoyed it.

I wouldn't rush out to buy it considering it's fucking $40 in typical SE fashion, but if you have the spare money or get it gifted, definitely a nice little title considering the readded content (or "new" content) really does tie the story together a lot better.

I trusted Zet and this is what happened
    Eleven owes me $40 bucks

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaslo Essyx
    FFXIV Server
    Famfrit
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Also... apparently even shopkeeps are voice acted...

Ze NinjaSYXX
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Nitsuki Syxx
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Here’s hoping a switch version releases then, i’d rather just get it there, and you know... hopeful support for the actual collection to release stateside

Resident Moogle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Listening to the new soundtrack, I think I prefer the original just because it's not throwing extra instruments in for no real reason and adding to the noise which drowns out the melody, which also doesn't feel as pronounced as it ought to be. Similar situation to FFX HD's soundtrack imo.

That said, at least folks playing with the original soundtrack won't have to deal with the game's own sound effects constantly cutting into the music's channel selection like it did on the SNES.

She Shoots For The Stars
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Elizara Paksenarrion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

I just got the Sprite on my Gamestop copy. Loving it; this is the first time I've been able to play any version of Secret of Mana without resorting to a ROM. Even with the new soundtrack and stuff, it's giving me a lot of warm fuzzies :D

And as for the possibility of a Switch version; Keep in mind that games take 3-4 years to develop. The Switch wasn't likely on Square's radar when they started this remake. So you will very likely have to wait a year for your Switch version, since in the past, it's taken Square a year to do PC ports; I assume it'd take JUST as much time to port it to the Switch. Don't go chewing me out if I'm wrong though. (Let's just say with you "Where's mah Switch version?" folks, my brother is right there with you!)

Graphics feel like they'd belong on the 3DS but I don't care. They tried to actually match the original art, is the feeling I get from lookin' at 'em. ^^ (I've seen official drawings of the charas; and they NAILED it if you see that.) Haven't gotten to Spikey Tiger yet, so can't say anything about that.

I'm going to be really pleased to share this with my nephew later. I only have 1 controller (this is the first game I have that can be played with more than one player) but I'm sure he'd like this one too. (He's four, and having full voice would make this easier for him since he can't really read yet. I'll let him play after I beat it just so I know about the new content, but I assume there isn't any problem since the original game was harmless. I promised his mom long ago tho I wouldn't let her kids play any game that I hadn't played. Never mess with a angry mom. ^^)

Can you spare some gil?
    BG Level

I completed the game in a single 12hr play through, it keeps to the story a little too well, many who pick it up will still be confused about certain story elements
    Will post more about it when I am not stuck in traffic..

Can you spare some gil?
    BG Level

So my thoughts on the remake of the game..

Visually - at first I didn't care for how they handled the games graphics, I would have preferred the water color style of Legend of Mana or even using Cell Shading for everything but it eventually grew on me around 5hrs into the game. Overall I have found them to be acceptable for what they are, nothing over the top and nothing too simplistic.

Audio - You can choose between English, Japanese and no VA. I played through with all of English because why not. You can choose between their new remixed sound track and the original, I played through with the new sound track and there were a few that I felt explored a little too much from the original but most stayed faithful to the original scores.

Gameplay - The interface and everything is much more user friendly compared to what the original was, new comers and veterans to this game will probably like the changes they've made to accessing magic.

Worth the $40? If it's your first time experiencing SoM and you have played other entries so you know what you're getting into yes, actually. Just because I got through the game in 12hrs because I know what I'm doing doesn't mean the next person will. You will probably push 25-30hrs into this game on a normal first play through, more if you want to play with various languages or with restrictions or with specific weapons.. the game is fairly open for various play through styles. If you want to get on that nostalgia train I would suggest waiting for a price drop, but if you really wanna jump on it I'm not going to say no or you're in the wrong for doing so it's your money after all.

What would I rate the game? a solid 7.5/10

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Question then. As a guy who played original SoM to death, besides the VA and new graphics, is there anything new for me at all?
    Extra dungeons? More dialogue/story? The heavily rumoured "chopped" bits from the original game? (the migration from CD to cartridge meant a lot of content for snipped apparently)

Can you spare some gil?
    BG Level

Some sprites that had removed assets had them restored.. One of the bosses .. name is slipping my mind, it's a robot that looks like it's straight from crono in the original it was mined that it had a chainsaw but it was removed for whatever reason, they put that back in for the remake. I can't think of anything that is outright new that was cut entirely from the game tho.