+ Reply to Thread
Page 28 of 38 FirstFirst ... 18 26 27 28 29 30 ... LastLast

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

FSU will get a waiver quickly because there's no way the NCAA or Independence Bowl is gonna miss out on FSU money vs UTSA money. But yeah, if we are to follow the letter of the law exactly then FSU should be sitting out. But if the NCAA was at all consistent or with a shred of integrity then UNC and Miami would have had the death penalty long ago and Joe Paterno's wins would still be vacated, so....ehh.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Coren View Post
    Not sure how I feel about that. On one hand, it's FSU's fault they suck and only won 6 games. On the other hand, it's not their fault they scheduled an opponent a long time ago who this year didn't make their scholarship quota. I understand why that rule would be in place, but it seems very minor at this point.
    This story is kind of funny, but pretty inconsequential. If it had been discovered weeks ago, I suppose FSU could have been ruled ineligible, but at this point, it's too late in the process - the other eligible teams have adjourned their programs for the year, tickets are bought, hotels are booked, etc, etc. At this point, it's really just something for other schools to give FSU shit for.

These games are scheduled years in advance, and let's say Florida State found out on August 1 of this year that Delaware State didn't qualify. That is probably the earliest DSU would have known they weren't going to meet the criteria (if they bothered to check at all, which the Reddit report makes it sound like they didn't). What is FSU supposed to do at that point? There's no way they're going to be able to find another opponent of any sort to fit that date. The easiest answer is "win more than 6 games," but there's also going to be a handful of schools in this situation every year that are depending on an FCS win to qualify for a bowl. So while FSU is the one with egg on their face here, there's always going to be someone. There may very well be others this year.

And what if it had been discovered on, say, November 20th, which would be after the game was played but before invitations went out? I would guess most (if not all) of these buy-a-win game contracts would include a "FCS school must qualify as a bowl eligible opponent" clause (and 100% of them will now). There's a pretty reasonable chance FSU would be coming after DSU for defaulting on their contract for financial remunerations, and that doesn't do anybody any good. FSU makes less money than they would from a bowl game, the bowl game gets a far less desirable participant, and DSU loses a huge chunk of their athletic budget. Nobody wins except the lawyers. Oh, and whichever MAC or Sun Belt school replaced FSU, which is probably worth something to that school, I suppose.

This is a really problematic rule to enforce - by the time you find out you're in violation, it is far too late to do anything about it. I understand the principle of the rule - perhaps the rule could be amended so that the scholarship rule applied to the two seasons completed prior to signing the contract rather than the year of the game itself. That would still provide the incentive for the small school to keep their scholarships up, and provide security for the big school. And, if the small school actually had financial problems one year and couldn't meet the limit, they would have a hard time signing any bodybag contracts with bigger schools during that two year period, but would still potentially be able to recover in time to avoid crippling the budget.

Mr. Bananagrabber

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I'm on board solely to give FSU shit, I don't care about any other part of it.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by Krandor View Post
    I'm on board solely to give FSU shit, I don't care about any other part of it.
    Stop, it's been a difficult year already. Just let us have this one. lol

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Deion Sanders on the sideline for FSU's bowl game. Did a TV interview that seems to imply he might be joining FSU's coaching staff. Or maybe the very least a "consultant". Either way, that's got me pretty hyped.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

FSU DC Charles Kelly leaving to take the same position under Jeremy Pruitt at Tennessee. This will be a reunion for the two. Kelly came to FSU in the 2013 championship season as LB coach under Pruitt as DC, and was promoted to DC when Pruitt left.

BG Level

Got a good one here, Alamo Bowl early in the 4th quarter.

93 yard TD reception by TCU and failed 2-pt leaves them down 31-29 to Stanford.

Mr. Bananagrabber

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Man Holiday Bowl has been a gigantic shit show.

At least going to the game and staying the night means I can go to the San Diego Zoo tomorrow, so at least I've got that going for me

BG's #1 Hatsune Miku fan!
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Vil View Post
    Got a good one here, Alamo Bowl early in the 4th quarter.

93 yard TD reception by TCU and failed 2-pt leaves them down 31-29 to Stanford.
    Alamo Bowl was a good one last night. TCU just refused to give up. I really enjoyed watching the second half. Their coach was so horse at the end lol.

Ohio State might run away with this one. Ten points in 13 secs with that pick six.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Oklahoma QB and Heisman winner Baker Mayfield has reportedly been battling flu-like symptoms since Christmas Day and has not practiced this week or participated in Rose Bowl team activities, but is still expected to play on Monday. Adjust your wagers accordingly I guess.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Mark Richt getting handsy arguing with an official just before halftime, got an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty but was NOT ejected, despite the rule calling for it in this situation. I guess that is gonna be a talking point about in the offseason.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

LOL Miami, gg BADGA

I'll change yer fuckin rate you derivative piece of shit
    BG Level

BADGA

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

BG Content
    BG Level
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Anoat View Post
    Mark Richt getting handsy arguing with an official just before halftime, got an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty but was NOT ejected, despite the rule calling for it in this situation. I guess that is gonna be a talking point about in the offseason.
    Especially after the Kentucky ejection yesterday.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

TIME FOR THE PLAYOFF BITCHES

I would prefer not to.
    Moms Spaghetti
    Philly Special

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Anoat View Post
    TIME TO USE FOOTBALL AS AN EXCUSE TO SATIATE MY DRINKING PROBLEM IN PUBLIC
    but seriously folks

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

I mean you ain't wrong

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

UCF and Auburn are tied despite UCF's QB being terrible today and they have a dude on defense with only one hand. Literally.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Peach Bowl was really fun. Really happy for UCF. One day we'll get that 8 team playoff and a team like them can earn their way in.

GATTACA!

BG Level

LSU shit the bed and blew the bowl game thanks to shitty special teams and terrible redzone offense. Now we get to fire our highest paid OC and try someone else.

Should probably fire O and promote Aranda before he takes another job

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk