FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SathFenrir View Post
    How secure are the keypad deadbolt locks? That's what I have going right now.
    Whenever slickdeals.net has a listing it's always a split crowd for just how safe they are. One post for Defiant brand (sale was $30) had a lot of people saying bad things, but others saying they are fine.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Had a good talk with my renters insurance policy holder (Nationwide) who I've been with since my time in Athens. They also told me it would be a good idea to catalog important items (TV's, game consoles, etc) and that's probably what I will do tonight. I'll probably stash a printed copy in my document box and keep a digital copy on a thumb drive.

The longer deadbolt screws are a good suggestion and something I can do easily, so I'll probably do that this weekend.

There is a pre-installed security system in my unit, but the service just isn't active. Waiting to hear back from the complex about activation options (and to see when they repair my door handle) or to see if I can't get some free & quick signage to place on some throwaway fake plant from home depot outside my door.

Outdoor solutions aren't really feasible, because 1) it is a complex and 2) the breezeways are already fairly well lit at night. Anything external I would install would need batteries or minimal drilling/mounting, but I greatly appreciate all the suggestions.

Looking at something simple inside to simply deter when we aren't at home, and the dog alarms sound like a good solution that can be deactivated with a key fob when me or my GF approach the front door.

Did not consider the shotgun either. Will probably price shop a little this weekend on options and see where we end up.

Thanks again for everyone's help!

Quote Originally Posted by Xno Kappa View Post
    Shotguns are usually the preferred weapon of choice for home defense because they're somewhat safer and/or stupid proof for less skilled individuals.
    Any time someone suggests a shotgun it reminds me of this bill burr joke:
    https://youtu.be/x9iYvyffAh4

Ironing this Thread
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

Shot guns are great, just make sure you and the sig get out and shoot it occasionally.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Reddit kind of turned me toward Abode for a security system. It looks like what I'm looking for and is affordable, even offering some stuff standard that SimpliSafe requires the monitoring fee for.

http://goabode.com

Special at 11:30 or w/e

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

As long as it reports to a central monitoring station it'll give you a discount on renters and home insurance too.

Annihilation Banwave
    sprout sprout sprout
    2031 No.1 Draft Pick
    Pittsburgh Penguins

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

If you are going to explore the firearm option there is nothing more unsettling and recognizable than the sound of a 12 gauge being pumped. Handgun you may miss. 12 gauge in a hallway, someone's in for some pain.

Annihilation Banwave
    sprout sprout sprout
    2031 No.1 Draft Pick
    Pittsburgh Penguins

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by tyven View Post
    how do i convince my anti gun wife to let me get a shotty
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission. I feel like I've told you this before.

2600klub
    I donated 5 bucks and all I got was this shitty title from Zet

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

In PA at least, shotguns are much easier to buy than handguns. And as Brill said, it's easier to miss with a handgun.

Special at 11:30 or w/e

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Arkanna View Post
    In PA at least, shotguns are much easier to buy than handguns. And as Brill said, it's easier to miss with a handgun.
    Tell that to John Wick!

I would prefer not to.
    Moms Spaghetti
    Philly Special

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Brill Weave View Post
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.
    just fyi this is terrible dating advice

I Am, Who I Am.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

I dont know if I can really suggest a gun in this situation with you being in a apartment complex. People tend to think structures are more durable than they really are, but in close quarters even a 7-1/2 bird shot will go through several walls. Unless your units are separated by some sort of brick or fascia, good chance if you miss it will go somewhere else. Bird shot also doesn't spread out as much as it's shown in the movies as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dbtBWp_beo
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6clay9pFaw
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C29mEJFFIvo

Also, a lot of people dont agree with the whole gun cocking thing. The thought is to always have it locked and loaded, and cocking it just gives away your position and slows you down. Debatable.

As most have said already, a good deadbolt will deter most everyone; I doubt the guys in your example would attempt to actually break in, but you never know. Most will see if it's an easy entry, and if not, go to the next. It's all about numbers and mitigating risk. A good scare alarm, light, etc will be enough. Stickers are kind of meh.

Typical B&E'ers also wont carry weapons either. This way if they are caught, they dont have extra charges thrown at them.

Taking an inventory is good. Whenever I get a new expensive item I just add it to a spreadsheet; it makes things much easier if they actually get away with stuff.

Cameras are a nice extra if you want to.

Another easy step is to buy a polypropylene bat or sword from coldsteel (or the like)

http://www.coldsteel.com/products/ot...-products.html
    http://www.coldsteel.com/products/training-knives.html

Myself I have a handle lock, deadbolt lock, dog, driveway alert, auto outdoor light, polypropylene sword, cameras, a 12guage, and a 9mm.

Ironing this Thread

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

Fuck the neighbors, someone is breaking in.

I use hollow points at home.

I'll change yer fuckin rate you derivative piece of shit
    BG Level

Get renters insurance, keep your deadbolts locked, and stop worrying so much.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Before jumping to a gun, be sure to look up your local laws concerning it. I'm in KY and they've got a pretty straight forward law in place which pretty much stipulates intruder = stop them via any force necessary. I'm pretty sure some states are strict that if the intruder is unarmed, firing a gun at them is a crime, and manslaughter if you kill them. Of course, how you're expected to know if they're armed is beyond me.

The Anti Miz
    The Anti Miz of the House of Weave

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Brill Weave View Post
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission. I feel like I've told you this before.
    I'M OFF TO THE GUN STORE

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Satori Komeiji
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

https://www.amazon.com/Ring-Wi-Fi-En...16%5Bb%7Cdeals

Ring doorbell (Gen 1) on sale for $150 (Normally $180). Not the ultimate version posted earlier.

Annihilation Banwave
    sprout sprout sprout
    2031 No.1 Draft Pick
    Pittsburgh Penguins

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by tyven View Post
    I'M OFF TO THE GUN STORE

Ironing this Thread

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

Yeah in Jersey if you don't kill the guy they can argue attempted murder. You have to be cornered with no means of egress or escape with imminent fear of doom and have to warn them like 3 times that you have a gun. So just kill them and say that all happened basically.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

Sorry to hear your place was nearly broken into. Glad you're safe and well. Like the others have stated, get renter's insurance. I didn't have it when my place was broken into. I was moving constantly for work and it didn't occur to me at the time. Now I know better.

I've learned that light is one of the best forms of security. If you can get a motion detector or somehow have one turn on inside as a deterrent - would be a good start. Deadbolts are fantastic as long as they cover all your major entrances. We had one on the front door, but the back door didn't, and the guys that broke into our place went through the back. Seeing as how you're in an apartment, guessing you only have the one entrance and should be okay.

And yeah...gated communities only go so far. Shit sucks. Good luck!