Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Melee Summoner
    BG Level

Final Fantasy XI install is missing dats

This is the third PC I've had in a row that has had this problem. My original pc, which I no longer have or have any of it's files, did not have this problem.

I am missing a dozen of dats. I've tried updating and file checking, as well as reinstalling, uninstalling/installing, making sure there was enough disk space, using a different hard drive, etc.

http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/forum.htm...26221943236779

Note: I did a reinstall of Windows 10 Pro x64 recently. It did not fix the problem...

Does anyone have the files I stated in that thread I posted?

i should really shut up
    You can safely ignore me I am a troll

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

What are you installing this all from? If it a digital install, say from SEs site or something, delete it, redownload it, and uninstall reinstall.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level

The digital install from SE's site. I already uninstalled it and reinstalled, just as I said earlier. I tried it again, and still missing files.

Also, does this have anything to do with it?

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

Just to be clear, you are using this link on the POL frontpage to download/install the client?

Are you unable to enter the version update process after logging in? This is normally where "missing dats" would get fixed or added. Actually.... In the screenshot you posted, it looks like FFXI is not installed at all. You should have an entry in that dropdown menu for Final Fantasy XI as well as POL and TM.

My advice is to clean out everything you have installed right now, then grab the client install from the POL link above and install properly. Make sure you scrub the registry after uninstall to be safe, and don't try using old archived installs. It's just not worth it given how often they get FUBAR'd.

i should really shut up

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by gondracorn View Post
    The digital install from SE's site. I already uninstalled it and reinstalled, just as I said earlier. I tried it again, and still missing files.

Also, does this have anything to do with it?

I am saying the download was corrupted and to redownload. Reinstalling with a corrupted download will result in the same corrupted install.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level

K, trying to redownload again from the website. I'm beginning to suspect that their download is corrupted itself.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

K, trying to redownload again from the website. I'm beginning to suspect that their download is corrupted itself.
    Make sure you download all parcels for the install and are following the installation directions. There are 4x files that you need to download from that page (and have in the same folder before you start the actual installation process.)

Also, make sure you are checking all the checkboxes in the install wizard for the "optional" expansion packs.. If you just spam click thru, you'll end up w/ only POL installed. <,<;; And you may decline the TOS which will block play of FFXI.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level

Thanks for the help. Still downloading the 002 file (taking much longer than expected).

As a side note, I always do check all the checkboxes, even DirectX 8.1, which, I already have.

I will update this post with my verdict of whether or not it installed correctly with all of the Dat files.

Downloaded them all, then, shortly after using 7zip to extract the data, it throws 5 errors pertaining to the exe files being unable to be extracted.

In addition, the exe file for the installer seems to be using installscript. I ran as administrator and as a regular unelevated user. Same problem.

Antivirus and Windows protection is turned off.

EDIT 2: Tried without admin privs, ran fine. Checking to see if problem was solved.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level

I still can't check the files. Must FFXI be installed on the C:/ Drive in order for it to find it?

Melee Summoner
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Nyarlko View Post
    Just to be clear, you are using this link on the POL frontpage to download/install the client? YES

Are you unable to enter the version update process after logging in? <YES This is normally where "missing dats" would get fixed or added. Actually.... In the screenshot you posted, it looks like FFXI is not installed at all. You should have an entry in that dropdown menu for Final Fantasy XI as well as POL and TM.

My advice is to clean out everything you have installed right now, then grab the client install from the POL link above and install properly. Make sure you scrub the registry after uninstall to be safe, and don't try using old archived installs. It's just not worth it given how often they get FUBAR'd.
    What registry keys should I uninstall?

Does having an active subscription enable the file checker? Or does that not matter.

In addition, does having Final Fantasy XI installed on the C:/ Drive have any effect? MY C:/ Drive is full right now...[/

i should really shut up

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I have seen it before, and redownloading it has fixed it.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Spicyryan View Post
    I have seen it before, and redownloading it has fixed it.
    K, it seems I need a patch files (updated) to get this to work. SE must've missed something, because all sources point to "Use a patch file". It makes no sense how SE could just hand users a game download and expect them to play without errors without checking first. Perhaps they do have the patches working on their end. That's why they need beta testers, and beta testers for the beta testers.

It appears that I still need a currently updated patcher. The one that darkstar gave me is almost the only one out there, but is utilized with mega with large files. I have exceeded the download limit this month.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I've always just directly downloaded and ran normal updates. Last time was about 2 years ago but the basic download shouldn't be any different and everyone playing has been getting updates

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Note that the instructions on that page say to ONLY check the boxes for Playonline and FFXI; the expansions should not be checked.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

Don't try mixing and matching retail stuff w/ private servers. If you are trying to get into a private server, the process is different from retail, and you should probably be trying to follow the instructions given by that server's admin.

If you are trying to get into retail, then I believe that as soon as you attempt to log in to the game proper while using a valid/active account, the version check will kick in and get you patched and up to date. Just don't expect the process to be speedy or for there to be any shortcuts, follow the instructions, and you should get updated w/o issues.

You could probably clean out most registry entries after an uninstall (and reboot) w/ something like CCleaner. It's just SOP for me to do so, I don't know any specific reg values to look for, and honestly may not be needed anymore. I don't know how well Win10 automation actually works since I have as much of that sort of thing disabled on my computer due to my deep and intense loathing of Microsoft. I do know that it has never hurt to do so however, and is likely to prevent certain issues from showing up.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level

Ok, now, playonline viewer has the patch files, able to check for updates, but still having missing dats.

Don't know what to do next.

Have some dats been deleted from the game (as in, unneeded/unused monsters, items, npcs, etc.)?

i should really shut up

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

K, it seems I need a patch files (updated) to get this to work. SE must've missed something, because all sources point to "Use a patch file". It makes no sense how SE could just hand users a game download and expect them to play without errors without checking first. Perhaps they do have the patches working on their end. That's why they need beta testers, and beta testers for the beta testers.

It appears that I still need a currently updated patcher. The one that darkstar gave me is almost the only one out there, but is utilized with mega with large files. I have exceeded the download limit this month.
    Private server?

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Also, you say that you're missing dats, but you haven't said the actual negative effects you're seeing from it. Are you crashing? Are you unable to load the game? Something else?

i should really shut up

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Fwahm View Post
    Also, you say that you're missing dats, but you haven't said the actual negative effects you're seeing from it. Are you crashing? Are you unable to load the game? Something else?
    Think he was saying that things are invisible.

Sounds like he is going wrong by either having a corrupted install and/or not just letting the game patch itself the first time.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Spicyryan View Post
    Think he was saying that things are invisible.

Sounds like he is going wrong by either having a corrupted install and/or not just letting the game patch itself the first time.
    Actually, not only are they invisible, Model Viewer cannot seem to find them. The files are simply not there.

In addition, if it surely is corrupted, it is corrupting every time, on both computers (as well as the one in between that I don't have anymore). That means that either: All 3 PCs have a problem, the exact same problem. 2: The upload is corrupted.

When POL runs, it does a file check for ONLY POL and tetra master. It does not show FFXI at all. I had to apply a patch that was mentioned from this website: https://wiki.dspt.info/index.php/Con...nstalling_FFXI.

After this, it saw FFXI, but only as an "UNKNOWN VERSION". After running the file checker, it crashed. After retrying, it ran successfully, finding over 10000 files with problems, and fixing them. It still did not add the missing files (I think it checks for file integrity, not "add" files).

I am at a loss here. I don't actually have a subscription for this game yet... I'm thinking of getting one next week. The way I found the problem was through Model Viewer. It's strange, because I remember seeing the missing files' content a long time ago.

For instance, Marid's model was in ROM 4/9/6. I may be able to actually come with a conclusion if someone could check to see if that rom exists. If someone can verify they have the file, then it would tell me it's on my end only. However, if they cannot find the file, then that will tell me it may be affecting other users, and it may certainly be the upload that Square Enix gave us. If this is the case, I will have to download the game from another source, contact square enix about the issue with their uploaded installer, and play the game with the source.