Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

I downloaded and installed the game from SE just fine after getting a new computer about a week ago with no problem, using this:

http://www.playonline.com/ff11us/dow...stall_win.html

Make sure to follow the instructions exactly, or things could go wrong.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

There are no problems on my end at least, but I am playing on live. If you are planning to go live as well, I'd say forget about what you are doing and just do it the legit way.

i should really shut up
    You can safely ignore me I am a troll

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Yeah I've installed a few times on multiple devices ranging from laptop to a tablet to desktops using the Amazon ultimate seekers download which I believe is the same one from SEs site, and never had an issue.

Last time I heard about this sort of issue, the person redownloaded from SEs site and reinstalled which resolved it.

Eliminate variables like using any third party patchers, don't ideal DX with the installation etc.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Fwahm View Post
    Note that the instructions on that page say to ONLY check the boxes for Playonline and FFXI; the expansions should not be checked.
    Ive installed at least 3 times since this instructions, to not install the expansions cause it will download them when doin the first update, appeared. The last time i installed a few months back wasnt during an version update or anything but it had like 14 hour times for completing. Before I have managed to do the whole update much much faster than that.

When I did this install, a couple of the files you download from the official site seemed to keep downloading incorrectly. I just kept deleting those and retrying til they were the correct file size ( i cant remember if the website says how big they are or not, but all 3 files are bout the same and large).

So since the update was takin 14+ hours I cancelled it and used the install program again and installed the expansions. This knocked off a huge amount of hours on the update. Then i went further and looked for various files online to get all the updates and applied them and the update was less than an hour. So I dunno why they advise to not check the expansions when you are installing unless they like people downloading forever.

On this page i downloaded the last two links I believe and wiped a huge amount of time off the update. http://tehkrizz.net/FFXI/downloads.php

PS definitely use a download accelerator of some sort it really helps

Relic Shield
    BG Level

Also since they officially let you install it for FREE from those files on the official website i wouldnt bother with the amazon version anymore. The only thing you need is to have an account once you get that installed.

i should really shut up
    You can safely ignore me I am a troll

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpy View Post
    Also since they officially let you install it for FREE from those files on the official website i wouldnt bother with the amazon version anymore. The only thing you need is to have an account once you get that installed.
    I have it because I bought seekers ultimate through them three years ago or w/e now.

In my experience, you can't update XI from POL with a fresh install unless you have an active account and logged into the game with first (though that'd prompt you to update that way). There was a file on one of the private servers I'd tried that'd let you get around that, but it seems they shut down so I can't point you to it. Some thorough googling may help, though.

If you're trying to play retail but it's messing up on you, I'm not really sure other than to blame Win10 for being Win10.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

well there was once I couldnt download a version update cause my sub wasnt active, i dunno bout file checks though. I dont remember if it let me past the password point or not. IF it did i think it wouldnt let me past the screen where you choosse "play" (during updates it says check for update or something) but I def couldnt get to any kind of updating process

Yeah, if you don't have an active sub, pressing play will just tell you that and not allow an update. It's why you need the modified file(s) to allow POL to force update and probably catch the DATs that are missing.