+ Reply to Thread

Thread: vita hacking     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Queen of the Pity Party
    BG Level

vita hacking

has anyone done this? is it as easy as it was with the PSP? I'm doing my own research of course but curious if anyone on BG has experience and/or can point me in the right direction.

I am thinking of picking up a vita - so many amazing RPGs I want to play - but I don't want to lay out a couple benjamins just to fill up my library...

It's all dicks and airplanes
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cia Mir
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung

Quote Originally Posted by Yuri-G View Post
    has anyone done this? is it as easy as it was with the PSP? I'm doing my own research of course but curious if anyone on BG has experience and/or can point me in the right direction.

I am thinking of picking up a vita - so many amazing RPGs I want to play - but I don't want to lay out a couple benjamins just to fill up my library...
    I have one, you'll want to look into the taihenkaku process, it's the permanent solution that only released a month or two ago.

I haven't done it yet, but I do have the previous less permanent solution, henkaku. Mostly just haven't updated due to the fact that I never touch it, even post-hack. Pretty safe process and it's fairly simple as long as you have the right firmware.

Queen of the Pity Party
    BG Level

good info, thanks. ended up grabbing a 3.60 vita from ebay, seller sells these a lot and always has good feedback. pretty excited! took some time to research what actually goes into this, but it looks like with Adrenaline and Vitashell you can pretty much play any pre-3.61 vita game, and any PSP or PSOne game, as well as anything you care to emulate. I do miss the days of my Cyclo when you just dragged and dropped, but it can't always be that easy I guess

sucks that I can't play newer games but I took a look at the 3.61+ list and it's not much that bothers me. Lacrimosa of Dana is just about the only new title I'll miss, but considering how gigantic my library will be I'm ok with this.

Very Sexy Nerd
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Thats pretty much all there is to it.

Install henkaku enso, which gives you the various different shell programs (the one by theflow is better, I think it's vitashell, as opposed to the base molecule shell or w/e) that you can use to install .vpk's (vita homebrew and vita games)

Install adrenaline for a bootable psp emulator. Can play psp games and install psp homebrew. (Generally, I've found psp emulators to be better than the native vita emulators, or at least the GBA one, no comment on the others.) Not sure how well PS1 games run, I know there were sound issues a while back, not sure if resolved.

Oh and look at the activation stuff that was running around a while back. I think Sony was (allegedly) remotely removing people's activation files.

It's all dicks and airplanes
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cia Mir
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung

Quote Originally Posted by Yuri-G View Post
    good info, thanks. ended up grabbing a 3.60 vita from ebay, seller sells these a lot and always has good feedback. pretty excited! took some time to research what actually goes into this, but it looks like with Adrenaline and Vitashell you can pretty much play any pre-3.61 vita game, and any PSP or PSOne game, as well as anything you care to emulate. I do miss the days of my Cyclo when you just dragged and dropped, but it can't always be that easy I guess

sucks that I can't play newer games but I took a look at the 3.61+ list and it's not much that bothers me. Lacrimosa of Dana is just about the only new title I'll miss, but considering how gigantic my library will be I'm ok with this.
    In due time, those restrictions will be removed probably and you'll be able to play anything. I was pretty sure you already could, but I might be thinking of another system. I've hacked almost everything I own now. Henkaku and the like are still relatively early in life, a lot is to come I think.

Check out the SD2Vita stuff as well if you don't want to pay up the ass for proprietary memory. I'm debating if I use my Vita enough even with the hack to warrant grabbing one. They're fairly cheap so I likely will.

Queen of the Pity Party
    BG Level

psone games do have sound now! I checked that out. Adrenaline has had an update, and it fixed... well, everything. as far as I can tell.

they may have spoofed firmware at this point... I haven't fully researched that. there is very little I want to play from 3.61 onward anyway, but if it's true - even better!

and thanks for the tip, I will check out SD2Vita. a cursory glance is promising. I hate hate hate that Vita requires a proprietary memory card; that's pure greed on Sony's behalf

Queen of the Pity Party
    BG Level

bleh. having major issues. nothing catastrophic, but frequently the Vita suddenly decides it doesn't want access anything I've installed. I've been rebooting and re-installing taihen and that always fixes it, but I need to do some more research and figure out if a) there's an easier way to fix this and b) why it's happening. it's to the point that I'm almost ready to just upgrade the firmware officially and do things the legit way, but I'm not that frustrated... yet. other people have had better results with taihen so there's gotta be something about my setup that's causing it.

IDK why I'm posting this, there are like two people who read this thread, but w/e I'm annoyed lol

Very Sexy Nerd
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

No idea, sorry

Queen of the Pity Party
    BG Level

it's ok I was just venting. I'll have to research this. if it works for other people, then surely there's something about my setup that's off