Vasp Anemos
    FFXIV Server
    Faerie
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

You have to give Pokémon/GF credit, their commercials are fantastic

Duplicitous Jew with Political Aspirations
    BG Level

Eh. Maybe it was just Pokemon fatigue since I got into this right after finishing the Pokedex on ORAS, but I wasn't really thrilled with Alola. Stopped playing on the final island. Not too excited for more of the same.

E. Body
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Bleeding Hollow

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot View Post
    Eh. Maybe it was just Pokemon fatigue since I got into this right after finishing the Pokedex on ORAS, but I wasn't really thrilled with Alola. Stopped playing on the final island. Not too excited for more of the same.
    I have to agree. The break in tradition with Island Challenges was quaint for what it was, but the only thing that could have gotten me excited for a rehash of Alola only a year later would have been seeing it in HD on a TV.

I mean, it seems unlikely that we'll get pokemon following us in the overworld in these new games, even though sprites have been datamined, because Sun/Moon could barely run adequately on OG 3DSs to begin with.

The fact that these games aren't cross gen New 3DS / Switch is still mind boggling to me, because they've hit a technical wall with the OG 3DS.

I trusted Zet and this is what happened
    Eleven owes me $40 bucks

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaslo Essyx
    FFXIV Server
    Famfrit
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

There is a lot of talk of waiting a year to get a bigger install base on the Switch before moving the mainline over there, so maybe next year.

But take that with all the grains of salt.

Kevin Chang
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Honestly taking out the trainers being on screen during battles in exchange for performance would be a more than acceptable loss in order to improve performance on the old 3DS.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Azuremyst

Quote Originally Posted by EternityEnd View Post
    I have to agree. The break in tradition with Island Challenges was quaint for what it was, but the only thing that could have gotten me excited for a rehash of Alola only a year later would have been seeing it in HD on a TV.

I mean, it seems unlikely that we'll get pokemon following us in the overworld in these new games, even though sprites have been datamined, because Sun/Moon could barely run adequately on OG 3DSs to begin with.

The fact that these games aren't cross gen New 3DS / Switch is still mind boggling to me, because they've hit a technical wall with the OG 3DS.
    I'd like them to go back to the drawing board completely. I quit out of frustration with Sun. Between the constant roadblocks to progression unless you talk to person x or do thing y, the massive amount of dialogue, the weak as hell variability of pokemon and outright stupid decisions barring you from getting certain pokes with their core move (i'm looking at you, Alolan Marowak) it just got too much. I guess I like pokemon to be like the Dynasty Warriors series; there's a formula there, it works, don't think too much on it. Innovate enough so it doesn't get stale, but this was too different.

Oh and fuck that damn talking pokedex. I wanted so badly to take it outside and recreate the printer scene from The Office. That thing needs to burn in the 5th ring of hell.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Syaoran Li
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

I'm just waiting for Gen 8 at this point. Already have a living dex so the sun and moon sequel just gets me new formes I guess? I just don't really see the point lol. I really only play these for the single player/collection aspect anyways.

I guess the one good thing Ultra Sun/Moon could add is a better way of leveling up (for current gen Pokemon anyways). I know you can use Festival Plaza or whatever, but I just really disliked that mechanic and other ways of leveling just take so ridiculously long and end up being rather boring. I was totally spoiled by Blissey bases last gen I guess.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

@ Kaslo

Quote Originally Posted by Pokemon Company Press Site
    We would like to address rumours based on a clerical error on the Pokémon press site; Pokémon Ultra Sun and Pokémon Ultra Moon are coming exclusively to Nintendo 3DS family of systems and are not due for release on Nintendo Switch. This listing on the Pokémon press site was made in error and is not indicative of future plans. Please refer to the Pokémon Direct for more game details.
    Original:
    Spoiler: show

Updated:
    Spoiler: show

Kevin Chang
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarman View Post
    I'd like them to go back to the drawing board completely. I quit out of frustration with Sun. Between the constant roadblocks to progression unless you talk to person x or do thing y, the massive amount of dialogue, the weak as hell variability of pokemon and outright stupid decisions barring you from getting certain pokes with their core move (i'm looking at you, Alolan Marowak) it just got too much. I guess I like pokemon to be like the Dynasty Warriors series; there's a formula there, it works, don't think too much on it. Innovate enough so it doesn't get stale, but this was too different.

Oh and fuck that damn talking pokedex. I wanted so badly to take it outside and recreate the printer scene from The Office. That thing needs to burn in the 5th ring of hell.
    The move tutor being so late in the game was silly, but I don't understand the rest of your issues.

I don't think there was too big of a formula change in this. Captains/Totems were basically gyms, only you get sent on a mission to do misc. tasks before you fight regular Pokemon (regular trainer) then you can challenge the totem (Gym Leader). The Kahunas were basically just gym leaders. The barriers to progressing before doing the trials isn't anything new to the series. Usually there's some mechanic blocking you from leaving a city before clearing the gym.

The Aether/Nebby storyline didn't strike me as anything weird either. Since Ruby/Sapphire there has always been a middle/late storyline centered around beating the game's Team Rocket equivalent that involves capturing your game's cover legendary (Groundon/Kyogre, Palkia/Dialga, Reshiram/Zekrom/Kyurem, Xerneas/Yveltal).

I think Z-Moves are an interesting addition as a mechanic, though not being able to skip the dance animations is annoying.

What I dislike the most about the game center around post-game. Festival Plaza is more of a time sink with less payoff compared to PSS+Secret Bases. Pelago is similarly low payoff and heavy investment compared to the old berry and super training mechanics. The reversion to scaled XP makes the storyline more challenging but makes leveling to 100 (for Hyper Training) annoying.

The removal of HMs was amazing though. The changes to the PC were amazing. The new IV judge and viewable EVs are great.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

One thing I'd really like to see changed is being online while still going about your business ingame. It's so annoying to have to go to festival plaza > online and then remember something you wanted to do ingame for a sec which takes you back offline etc.

Kevin Chang
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by nivlakian View Post
    One thing I'd really like to see changed is being online while still going about your business ingame. It's so annoying to have to go to festival plaza > online and then remember something you wanted to do ingame for a sec which takes you back offline etc.
    Definitely one of the biggest drawbacks of the Plaza vs. the PSS.

Eleven owes me $40 bucks

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaslo Essyx
    FFXIV Server
    Famfrit
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Gotta give GX credit for their ability to over analyze:

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

I'm kinda on the fence about Ultra Sun/Moon. If it ends up being a Black 2/White 2 situation then it will be fine, but if it's like Emerald etc where there's barely any difference then I'd be hesitant to bother getting the game. Especially if there's still no national dex. Besides the extreme hand-holding that was one of the only things that really bothered me about Sun and Moon. Made if feel like "why bother" transferring my full dex of pokemon to the game besides breeding... again.

Eleven owes me $40 bucks

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaslo Essyx
    FFXIV Server
    Famfrit
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

It appears that the new Dusk Lycanrock is more of an event pokemon.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kaslo View Post

It appears that the new Dusk Lycanrock is more of an event pokemon.
    The Pokémon Company International and Nintendo have announced a brand-new form of the Pokémon Lycanroc, along with information on how to obtain it in the upcoming Pokémon Ultra Sun and Pokémon Ultra Moon video games.

In Pokémon Sun and Pokémon Moon, the Pokémon Rockruff could evolve into either Midday Form Lycanroc or Midnight Form Lycanroc. In the upcoming video games Pokémon Ultra Sun and Pokémon Ultra Moon, however, a new version of Lycanroc will be available—Dusk Form Lycanroc.

Type: Rock
    Ability: Tough Claws

Dusk Form Lycanroc features characteristics of both Lycanroc Midday Form and Lycanroc Midnight Form. It stands on all fours and has behavioral traits similar to Midday Form, but when it attacks, its eyes glow red, much like Midnight Form. Dusk Form Lycanroc has a tranquil demeanor and always remains calm. This Pokémon is obedient towards a Trainer that it trusts. It has an intense fighting spirit, and as a result, prefers to do combat at close quarters.

Rockruff caught through normal gameplay cannot evolve into Dusk Form Lycanroc. A unique Rockruff that can evolve into Dusk Form Lycanroc will be wirelessly distributed via Nintendo Network as a special early purchase bonus for owners of Pokémon Ultra Sun or Pokémon Ultra Moon. Players will be able to receive their Rockruff from the games’ launch on 17 November until 10 January 2018. More details are planned to be announced later this year.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

This is happening because Ash has a Rockruff that he needs to be special and evolve into a diffrant kind of more special grownup Rockruff than all the other Alolan trainer's' Rockruffs so he can place 4th in their tournament that doesn't exist and move on to the Gen 8 region and Team Rocket's blasting off agaaaaaaain!

Eleven owes me $40 bucks

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaslo Essyx
    FFXIV Server
    Famfrit
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Quote Originally Posted by BWYuko View Post
    This is happening because Ash has a Rockruff that he needs to be special and evolve into a diffrant kind of more special grownup Rockruff than all the other Alolan trainer's' Rockruffs so he can place 4th in their tournament that doesn't exist and move on to the Gen 8 region and Team Rocket's blasting off agaaaaaaain!
    10.5/10

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Yeah, I was kinda joking cuz of how formulaic the show's become, but it actually happened Thursday and I didn't even know about it.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

So why are my pokemon not evolving into super special unique forms?

Am I a worse trainer than Ash?