Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    The Optimistic Asshole
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tyche Six
    FFXIV Server
    Tonberry

NCAA recruiting FBI probe...Death to Louisville, Arizona, USC, Miami, and like 100 others

Updating

Coaches

1. Lamont Evans Oklahoma State, investigated while at South Carolina
    2. Chuck Person Auburn
    3. Emanuel Richardson Arizona
    4. Tony Bland USC

Others

1. Rashan Michel NCAA
    2. Jim Gatto Adidas
    3. Merl Code Adidas
    4. Munish Sood Princeton Capital (need some inline flair for this one mods)

Affected Recruits

1. Brian Bowen Louisville
    2. Jahvon Quinerly Arizona

After reading the press conference advisory, it looks like these are the four coaches - "Federal criminal charges have been brought against ten people, including four college basketball coaches, as well as managers, financial advisors, and representatives of a major international sportswear company." If I hear about anything else I'll be sure to add it in, though.

Campaign
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Corruption how? Point scandals (I care). Some sort of recruiting/amateur rule violations (don't care).

The Optimistic Asshole

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tyche Six
    FFXIV Server
    Tonberry

http://www.businessinsider.com/colle...arrests-2017-9

Ten people were arrested in connection to a n FBI investigation on college basketball bribery.

Jim Gatto, the director of global sports ma rketing for basketballat Adidas, was among t he defendants.

Gatto is accused of conspiring with coaches

Mr. Bananagrabber

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Oh goodie, we've been having a bit of a dry spell of NCAA violations drama

Who's driving? Oh my God Bear is driving! How can that be??
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

So Adidas wired money to a 3rd party, who then payed the players family in cash to get the player to play for the University sponsored by Adidas... This is going to be an interesting few months.

The Optimistic Asshole

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tyche Six
    FFXIV Server
    Tonberry

Not a university. We are talking a TON of schools. The big story right now is Louisville because we have a dollar amount and a recruit that we are able to pinpoint. But 4 people from other schools not name louisville have been arrested. This is a massive story involving a ton of very good power-5 schools. This is a huge college athletics story, not just basketball and not just Louisville. This could be what upends college athletics as we know it. I don't think that's hyperbole. We're talking huge dollar amounts with many schools that sign deals for hundreds of millions of dollars with apparrel companies. There's too many schools and too much money involved for this not to have some massive shakeup of college athletics as a whole.

And it's not a typical NCAA investigation since the FBI is involved...

Straight Ca$h Homie
    BG Level

Pay the fucking kids already and be done with it.

Who's driving? Oh my God Bear is driving! How can that be??
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by Tyche View Post
    Not a university. We are talking a TON of schools. The big story right now is Louisville because we have a dollar amount and a recruit that we are able to pinpoint. But 4 people from other schools not name louisville have been arrested. This is a massive story involving a ton of very good power-5 schools. This is a huge college athletics story, not just basketball and not just Louisville. This could be what upends college athletics as we know it. I don't think that's hyperbole. We're talking huge dollar amounts with many schools that sign deals for hundreds of millions of dollars with apparrel companies. There's too many schools and too much money involved for this not to have some massive shakeup of college athletics as a whole.
    Well it's good to see that we now have the so called smoking gun. Question is at the end of all this, does college sports start paying kids? Because even so, there would still be some back door bribery...or do you yank sponsors from the teams?

Fuck It, I'm Goin Deep Fan Club President
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

Holy shit

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Nice to see that a player actually got to earn money for themselves out of the millions they earn for their colleges.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

If Louisville basketball doesn't get the death penalty out of this I will be shocked.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Oregon State won one conference game last year. I think the Beavers are gonna be OK.

Although if it comes out that we're involved somehow, that's actually way more embarrassing than a school who cheated well.

Purdue could conceivably be involved, although they don't recruit particularly well, with the exception of Swanigan.

The Optimistic Asshole

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tyche Six
    FFXIV Server
    Tonberry

Quote Originally Posted by Anoat View Post
    If Louisville basketball doesn't get the death penalty out of this I will be shocked.
    I'm skeptical. It fucked up SMU and ruined the Dallas market. Louisville is the largest college basketball market in the country and it isn't even close. They didn't hit USC with the death penalty. They were under probation during the Reggie Bush payouts. It could, and probably should happen. But the NCAA is all about that money and I can see them blowing up their basketball Cash cow.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Coren Cypher
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

In the papers there they reference "university 2" as a public college in south carolina with 30k students... well that sounds an awful lot like good ol' Sakerlina. Ruh roh!

The Optimistic Asshole

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tyche Six
    FFXIV Server
    Tonberry

Quote Originally Posted by Coren View Post
    In the papers there they reference "university 2" as a public college in south carolina with 30k students... well that sounds an awful lot like good ol' Sakerlina. Ruh roh!
    The schools....It's literally in the OP. Lamont Evans, former Martin assistant.

Looks like Pitino is going be fired today...

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...fbi-ncaa-probe

The Optimistic Asshole

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tyche Six
    FFXIV Server
    Tonberry

And Jurich.

Good riddance.

BG Content
    BG Level
    Blog Entries

Maybe not today:
    According to his contract, Pitino must be given 10 days' notice before any firing can be official.
    http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...rich-put-leave

As an aside, has anyone else been having problems with ESPN slowing down their browsers (using Chrome, if that matters).

I would prefer not to.
    Moms Spaghetti
    Philly Special

BG Level

any chance whoville has to cough up their 2013 title? probably not, but would lol