+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Desktop fans not working     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Desktop fans not working

Not sure if anyone comes here anymore, buuut I'll try anyway.

My two case fans, the power source fan, and fan connected to my heat sink are all unresponsive. The fan built into my graphics card seems to be working. PC is self built, but had Prothescar holding my hand the whole time so mostly techno incapable. I'm not sure which specs are important for diagnostic guesses in this situation, but my power source is a corsair tx650. Anything else relevant I can supply.

If it means anything, opening up my hardware management from the boot menu I'm able to adjust activation and speed settings, which seems to suggest that my fans are being recognized, but then on the rundown of current fan speeds everything says NA.

Googling is kinda all over the place. Some places suggested maybe a power source problem(it's a few years old at this point?) and considering that the fan built into it won't come on, it seems sensical.

Anywho. Thoughts would be appreciated!

Special at 11:30 or w/e
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

I'd say dying PSU. Should be a five year warranty. RMA and ask for prepaid shipping label. Corsair is A+ with RMA.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Turns out not only was my PSU dying, most of my fans mysteriously broke. All fixed, thanks for the warranty suggestion! 'o'

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Niya Kouya
    FFXIV Server
    Odin

Wouldn't be the first dying PSU that took some other component(s) with it... Apparently they tend to produce wrong voltage levels, and overvoltage can toast some parts or at least damage them.
    Great to hear everything works again ^^

Mr. Bananagrabber
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

One of my personal favorites was having a fan go bad and short out the PSU, and the PSU shitting the bed took out the fan controller in my case and a hard drive. Great times.