+ Reply to Thread
Page 29 of 43 FirstFirst ... 19 27 28 29 30 31 39 ... LastLast
    BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    Blog Entries

I could have picked basically any class of medicine that theoretically acts inside the BBB. IMO the hierarchy is something like:
    * Local acting compounds - We know the mechanism of action pretty well.
    * Systemic compounds that don't cross the BBB - We are doing okay still but our understanding is dropping. Some we understand (like COX inhibitors) and some we don't (like many antibiotics).
    * Interacts with the CNS - Wow, we can really only wave our hands (like tylenol, lithium, etc.)

I'll admit that psychiatry is an easy target due to this, but it isn't so unique in how little the mechanism actually matters for treatment.

This isn't something that I'm whole-cloth proposing here. It is the entire premise of evidence-based medicine.
    Quote Originally Posted by David M. Eddy
    Eddy first published the term "evidence-based" in March, 1990 in an article in the Journal of the American Medical Association that laid out the principles of evidence-based guidelines and population-level policies, which Eddy described as "explicitly describing the available evidence that pertains to a policy and tying the policy to evidence instead of standard-of-care practices or the beliefs of experts.
    Lets look at your example:
    Quote Originally Posted by Heavencloud View Post
    the other day i hypothetically worked with an experienced PA who came to me and had me see a pt - he was concerned about the pt but hadn't given antibiotics yet because he didn't have a source yet. i saw the patient and had him give abx right away just based on a 30 second encounter and a physical exam. pt died of septic shock later. the 30mins of delay in abx prob didn't make a difference, but if had been a physician see the patient initially i almost guarantee you treatment would have been started faster. unlucky for this patient. my shop is reducing MLP coverage because physicians are faster w/ each patient and sometimes the "fixing" of what the MLPs did is more work than it is worth. and we only have PAs, i can't even imagine how bad it would be with NPs.
    In your example, why did the person fail? Did they not do the physical exam, or did they not know what to do after it? We will forever need people to collect signs, do surgery, and react in real time, but the ideal of evidence-based medicine would just be to have a recommendation program with a good interface that gets updated as new evidence comes out. It auto-loads someone's digital health record (if that mess ever gets sorted out) and recommends diagnostics/treatments using the available research. Computers are pretty good at memorizing drug interactions, so that doesn't exactly worry me.

Again, I'm not in favor of my doctors being largely mechanistically ignorant and I would prefer that they all genuinely know their specialty instead of being a poor facsimile of the proposed computer program, but unless I'm in an ER (where the goal is to keep oxygenated blood flowing) or at the orthopedic surgeon, that isn't the situation at the moment.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

Someone's upset that MDs are nothing but car mechanics for the body meanwhile PhDs are the real doctors

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    Blog Entries

I'm upset that we can't get more car mechanics of the body because their training is inefficient and artificially limited by the AMA.

We can't wave a wand and get more doctors or make them work twice as long, so anyone that wants M4A also needs to have some kind of plan for increasing the supply of medical care providers and deregulation is pretty clearly the winner imop.

I'll change yer fuckin rate you derivative piece of shit
    BG Level

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Can you fight it since they said nothing to begin with? (I hoep ya can)

These companies are so full of shit and there's always back n' forth. If you push it hard enough they may cave.

Obviously stupid you'd have to fight it to begin with. Best of luck.

I'll change yer fuckin rate you derivative piece of shit
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Ksandra View Post
    Can you fight it since they said nothing to begin with? (I hoep ya can)

These companies are so full of shit and there's always back n' forth. If you push it hard enough they may cave.

Obviously stupid you'd have to fight it to begin with. Best of luck.
    Well, this isn't the bill, the bill for the remainder will (supposedly) come from the hospital, so I'd have to start there. A long time ago I fought an expensive ER bill because I was unemployed and got the whole thing written off, but I had to demonstrate lack of assets and stuff and I won't be able to claim poverty on this one (despite, again, being unemployed for this one too)

United States of Smash!
    BG Level

The alternative is you can let it go to collections then negotiate the total amount down to a fraction with the collections company because all they want to do is close accounts and get slightly more than they paid for the debt. I saved thousands on some medical bills doing that. It might ding your credit though.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Brain eating amoebas found in Texas tap water in areas near Houston.
    https://twitter.com/TCEQ/status/1309702896196431878
    Makes ya wonder how long it's been there. >.>

HABS SUCK!!!!!
    Sepukku is my Hero
    Therrien's Cum Dumpster

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Isnt Dim from Texas? That explains a lot.

Pseudo-Elitist
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

I didn't think you could contract Naegleria just from drinking contaminated water.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    Blog Entries

I'm not sure that you can, but you can probably get it from showering in the water and breathing in the shower if the concentration is high enough.

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

one might take a drink and laugh at the wrong time and snort some water through her nose and then die

Brown Recluse
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

Quote Originally Posted by NynJa View Post
    Isnt Dim from Texas? That explains a lot.
    I grew up in south central Houston because my Jewish stepdad was a drug dealer. I haven't lived there since 88.

I live in San Antonio, we have pretty good water.

Banned.

BG Level

https://khn.org/news/stigma-against-...the-spotlight/

Stigma Against D.O.s Had Been Dissipating Until Trump’s Doctor Took the Spotlight

https://twitter.com/lawrence/status/...327559680?s=21

The Defense is ready, Your Honor
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

Quote Originally Posted by 6souls View Post
    I want a bonus panel where all 3 of them (and the reporter) just deck the guy at once.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Fuck It, I'm Goin Deep Fan Club President
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

https://www.washingtonpost.com/dc-md...governor-veto/

Arkansas’ governor on Monday vetoed a ban on gender-affirming medical care for transgender youths, calling the legislation a “vast government overreach” and a “product of the cultural war in America.”

Gov. Asa Hutchinson (R) said that if signed into law, the bill would interfere with physicians and parents “as they deal with some of the most complex and sensitive matters involving young people.”

The bill, which is part of a wave of similar legislation across the country, would have banned doctors from providing transgender minors with gender-affirming treatments such as puberty blockers, hormone therapies and transition-related surgeries, and from referring them for such treatments. Republican lawmakers in at least 17 other states have introduced similar bans on medical treatments for transgender minors, despite opposition from major pediatric and psychiatric organizations.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

https://thehill.com/policy/healthcar...der-youth-bill

You forgot the part where Arkansas' congress voted to overwrite the veto.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag