The Optimistic Asshole
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tyche Six
    FFXIV Server
    Tonberry

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/04/10/u...migration.html

Desantis trying to require Florida hospitals to report undocumented patients. Good fucking luck lol. We can't turn them away if they refuse to answer. And getting Frontline and admission staff to actually effectively report will be an uphill climb. I'd chart "patient refused to answer" on every single patient from 3 year old white kids to 90 year old burmese grandmothers. I've literally moved patients to other rooms to hide them from the police. Have had LEOs ask me to call them when patients are discharged so they can arrest. Nah bro, you can arrest now and keep in custody in this room until discharged, or you can kick rocks.

BG's #1 Hatsune Miku fan!
    BG Level

Just curious. Why did you hide them from police? Too sick to be moved? Not criticizing just wondering.

Sent from my SM-A505U1 using Tapatalk

The Optimistic Asshole

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tyche Six
    FFXIV Server
    Tonberry

They were bordeine harassing my patient with questions and interfering with their care. Patient wasn't under arrest. Didn't have an attorney. I suggested they make themselves a "do not announce" and move rooms. When your status is a "Do Not Announce", we can't give out any information. Can't even say if they're a patient.

BG Medical's Student of Medicine
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Outlaw View Post
    Just curious. Why did you hide them from police? Too sick to be moved? Not criticizing just wondering.

Sent from my SM-A505U1 using Tapatalk
    Even police are subject to privacy laws. Unless the patient is in custody or commits a crime while hospitalized (or admits to one to a provider) police don't have a right to know the patient is there and, even if they do, cannot take a patient into custody who is actively receiving care.

They've tried to arrest doctors and nurses for "obstruction" or "interfering with an investigation" for not giving up patients, which is ridiculous.

The Fucking Voice of Actually
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cantih Hacos
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

For a similar environment/situation, consider this.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Americ...ical_positions

Ethics, it's a hell of a drug!

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Azuremyst

Quote Originally Posted by kuronosan View Post
    Even police are subject to privacy laws. Unless the patient is in custody or commits a crime while hospitalized (or admits to one to a provider) police don't have a right to know the patient is there and, even if they do, cannot take a patient into custody who is actively receiving care.

They've tried to arrest doctors and nurses for "obstruction" or "interfering with an investigation" for not giving up patients, which is ridiculous.
    Funny this came up, my gf is a psych NP. Marshals came in and intimidated the fuck out of her, threatened to arrested her for obstruction immediately. Scared the hell out of her, it was the first time it happened. She ended up calling legal and they had to let the Marshals take the patient, but it pissed me off pretty bad they made her feel afraid for doing her job.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

you can provide care unless we need to provide some justice

The Optimistic Asshole

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tyche Six
    FFXIV Server
    Tonberry

Interesting. Psych can get tricky legally simply because a lot of decisions that are made regarding a patient's stay have to be sent to and signed off by a judge, as many of these admissions and stays are involuntary. And sometimes if they're voluntary on arrival, the amount time they're held can become involuntary. It's def a case-by-case basis. And patients certainly can't abuse psych holds to avoid a legal warrant.

You'd like to think that Marshalls would understand and be respectful of a medical provider trying to do the right thing. Legal issues involving psychiatric care can be quite nuanced and heavily depend on what judge you're sending paperwork to.

One of the weirder cases I've had, before I was a psych NP, was police bringing in a young woman that was found running down the highway naked and disoriented. She was placed on an involuntary hold. Paperwork was filled out and sent to a judge. Judge refused to allow the hold without additional information. Patient interviewed further, stated she shot up meth at a hotel where she was meeting a guy who paid for sex. She said she needed meth for her pussy to get wet and had a bad trip. Noted those details on the form. Faxed to judge. Paperwork signed.

Patient ended up running anyway. I chased. She beat my ass. And that was the last time I'd ever chased a patient.

BG Medical's Student of Medicine
    BG Level

We deal with police all the time though. I had one police officer tell me it didn't matter what my plan was, they intended to take the patient into custody.

I straight up told them I'm a medical doctor, they're welcome to take the patient into custody once I've determined they don't need medical care.

They pretend they can, but they can't do shit about it. Nothing trumps medical care, even if the patient is malingering. I simply tell the patient we'll take care of them but will still notify the police they are discharging into their custody.

And as far as involuntary stuff, police frequently "involuntary" a patient and neglect to use the proper channels, which complicates matters because they treat sick patients like criminals and I find myself having to tell them to back the fuck off while also being mindful that these are the people who might not show up if I call security.

The Optimistic Asshole

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tyche Six
    FFXIV Server
    Tonberry

Bring in for psych eval. Get pissed at psych because they don't agree with the eval. A tale as old as time.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Azuremyst

I assumed they had no right to take the patient. She really didn't want him released as he was still actively receiving care, but I have no idea why legal said let them take the patient. Very odd. Just pisses me off royally that 6 250+ lb dudes show up and intimidate a 5"6' woman the instant they meet her that they're going to arrest her for obstruction for doing her GD job.

Edit: to add, nothing about a judge being involved as far as I'm aware. Must be something I'm missing in the story though.

I'll change yer fuckin rate you derivative piece of shit
    BG Level

https://twitter.com/PGeldsetzer1/sta...76663074738176

Study showing a significant chunk of Alzheimer's diagnoses are caused by the chickenpox/shingles virus and are reduced by getting the shingles vaccine - but only in women?

Duplicitous Jew with Political Aspirations
    BG Level

Dementia is one of my biggest fears. My grandpa lived to 91 but it got real bad towards the end. My uncle's wife walked in on him once packing a suitcase, thinking he had to get ready to go ship out for the war.

Tekki's Bitch

BG Level

i'm only ever a few days of bad sleep from full blown dementia. thankfully i'll be dead before it takes hold. my grandma has dementia and no one even knows where she is anymore, she has been wandering the slovak country side for years and maybe dead.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

i too would like to be composted

I'll change yer fuckin rate you derivative piece of shit
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by archibaldcrane View Post
    https://twitter.com/PGeldsetzer1/sta...76663074738176

Study showing a significant chunk of Alzheimer's diagnoses are caused by the chickenpox/shingles virus and are reduced by getting the shingles vaccine - but only in women?
    Looking at the same data(ish), this guy has doubts

https://twitter.com/paulnovosad/stat...hiziF8xfA&s=19

BG Level

Court upholds forced drug price negotiations:

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/1-us-...215403616.html

She Shoots For The Stars
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Elizara Paksenarrion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Re: shingles vax. I got my first shingles shot (First person to say that I'm over the hill gets a water bottle chucked at them. I'm NOT. Yes I'm 50, so what?) because at least one older friend had shingles and it sucks, man. I had chickenpox as a kid so yeah, went to get vaxxed soon after my birthday. Be nice if that will help me not get dementia later. Also just for you younger folks; the shingles shot makes your arm hurt like HECK afterward, but better that than shingles from what I've seen, YOU DO NOT WANT SHINGLES. If you had chickenpox, GET THE BLEEPING SHOTS after you turn the big 5-0. If you didn't make sure you are vaccinated against chickenpox.

As for medicare allowed to go ahead with drug price negotiations; WAY TO GO. Drugs get pricy and I hope that will help.

Duplicitous Jew with Political Aspirations
    BG Level

My older brother got stress-induced shingles once and after over a year at war, a total ligament replacement surgery, throwing his back out, shoulder surgery, and a ton of other joint and muscle things, he described shingles as the worst pain he'd ever felt.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag