+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 43 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast
    BG Medical's Student of Medicine
    BG Level

It's okay, it only reduces your symptoms by a day or two at the most.

BG's #1 Hatsune Miku fan!
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by 6souls View Post
    37 Kids dead from Flu Epidemic, Affecting those aged 50-64 more than it had in the past

https://www.mprnews.org/story/2018/0...unusually-hard
    That is scary. It's eerie to think that this is the 100th anniversary of the great influenza outbreak of 1918 that killed thousands.

Yeah, flu took a local kid around here. Sucks.

I got it a few years back and at some point during my hallucinations, I'd convinced myself that the roots of Yggdrasil were trying to ensnare me and I basically kept writhing in bed trying to pull them off. The worst part of that, though, were the moments of lucidity I did have and knew it wasn't real, but it'd creep back the closer I got to total fatigue. Closest I've felt to death, which says a lot to me since I almost drowned when I was 5.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

Had the flu super bad 5-6 years ago. Fought it off, but got incredibly dehydrated in the process. Ended up taking 3 bags of saline solution at a clinic to get back to normal. Didn't hallucinate though. Shit is no joke.

Brown Recluse
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

I get flu shots every year, and i haven't gotten sick in a decade.
    Luck or science? Wife and kids also got shots this year, and they haven't gotten sick either.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Dimmauk View Post
    Luck or science? Wife and kids also got shots this year, and they haven't gotten sick either.
    My fiancee swears against it but I've been doing it since 05 and haven't caught it since.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

IMPERIAL CONCUBINE OF ME
    Coolest Monkey In The Jungle

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by 6souls View Post
    37 Kids dead from Flu Epidemic, Affecting those aged 50-64 more than it had in the past
    Those are some old ass kids

Fiance is about to finish her masters in epidemiology. I asked her about this recently. It's a combination, BUT even if you get the flu with the vaccine it still helps you get over it faster. Sucks that the strains predicted this year and used in the vaccine were way off base =\

Duplicitous Jew with Political Aspirations
    BG Level

Hearing today that the CDC says it's adenovirus going around in addition to the flu.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Daydreamer View Post
    Fiance is about to finish her masters in epidemiology. I asked her about this recently. It's a combination, BUT even if you get the flu with the vaccine it still helps you get over it faster. Sucks that the strains predicted this year and used in the vaccine were way off base =\
    It would seem there's a misunderstanding of what a vaccine is, but daydreamer is mostly correct. Any vaccine doesn't make you immune to the virus it targets, all it does is it literally trains your body to recognize and fight the virus the next time you see it. You can still get the flu, but with a (well formulated) vaccine your body recognizes it days-weeks faster, and it's response to the virus is 1-2+ weeks faster than without the vaccine. This is often the difference between feeling symptoms or even dying, and feeling almost nothing at all.

The kicker is the efficacy of the vaccine relies entirely on the strain you are infected with. If Flu version 324 (I'm super simplifying here) infects you, but you only got vaccinated against Flu v323, them your vaccine won't help/help you very little in fighting the version you have. That is the problem with this years version of the vaccine; the last I read is it's only effective for around 10% of the flu strains going around right now so even those that got vaccinated aren't as protected as you might be inclined to believe.

As an aside, it's good to remember that vaccines are just killed/modified versions of the actual virus, attuned to let your body recognize and fight the vaccine without getting the symptoms or actually being infected by the virus being injected in you. If the virus they give you doesn't match what you catch in the wild, then chances are you don't have much protection against the new infection.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

BG Level

Adenovirus suckssssss.

BG Medical's Student of Medicine
    BG Level

It's also something with a vaccine available but not usually given.

It's basically as Sal described it. Flu mutates pretty readily, and due to vaccination limitations in regards to ensuring effectiveness only 3-4 strains at a time are cooked in.

Like 80% of people get what is called the trivalent because it's cheaper. The rest get the quadrivalent, which covers more strains but is more expensive.

Queen of the Pity Party
    BG Level

I got the flu shot this year and I got sick, but other people around me who didn't get the shot got a lot sicker than I did. I'll take it

BG Level

I haven't had the actual flu in years at this point. I get the vaccine as soon as work starts pushing it instead of waiting until they make you and, go figure, haven't had it in like 10 years.

This shit is no joke though guys. Our med surge units are full up. Do not wait. Get vaccinated and if you do get sick keep your infected ass at home.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Young couple contracts hookworms in feet at Punta Cana beach resort

Yo pay attention to your feet. Also I think the funniest thing about this is these people had to drive to Detroit of all places from Canada for meds. Get your shit together Canada

BG Level

Saw two stories today, unfortunately don't have links at the moment.

First is that an organization comprised of over 300 hospitals in the US is forming its own pharmaceutical company to get cheaper drugs to patients.

Second is that Amazon, Berkshire Hathaway, and JPMorgan Chase announced that they were teaming up to create a new health care company to cover all of their employees.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Satori Komeiji
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot View Post
    Saw two stories today, unfortunately don't have links at the moment.

First is that an organization comprised of over 300 hospitals in the US is forming its own pharmaceutical company to get cheaper drugs to patients.

Second is that Amazon, Berkshire Hathaway, and JPMorgan Chase announced that they were teaming up to create a new health care company to cover all of their employees.
    That second one is fucking terrifying.

IMPERIAL CONCUBINE OF ME
    Coolest Monkey In The Jungle

BG Level

I'm equally skeptical of the first one tbh gonna have to see the deets on those

BG Level

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne