+ Reply to Thread
    Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Hakkar

DirectX 11 error crashing game on startup

I'm having an issue I cant really find a verified solution. Downloaded the game Divinity: Original Sin 2 earlier today and when I start the game the game crashes and gives me an error;
    "The game has encountered an unrecoverable DirectX error and will shut down. This error may be triggers by reasons that are not related to Divinity: Original sin 2. Please try the following before restarting: Disable any screen recording software you may be running. Make sure you have the latest graphics drivers installed. Disable SLI/CrossFireX. Error: DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED. Description: Hardware device removed. Reason: DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG."

I'm not running any recording software, just updated to nvidia 385.69 drivers today, not running an SLI or CrossfireX.

PC specs: Windows 7 SP1. Intel Core i7-4900MQ CPU @ 2.80GHz. RAM: 16.0GB. System type: 64-bit. Nvidia Geforce GTX 780M.

I tried going to the game folder itself and tried running as admin and same thing, disabled all anti-virus, same thing. Seen some video about deleting some forms of C++ and then doing something else, don't remember right now. Anyone more tech advanced than I able to come up with any idea? If this is the wrong spot for this I'll post this in the game thread as well.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Do you have only the core nVidia driver installed, or the full GeForce Experience/etc? The latter does include screen recording software and a bunch of other stuff, and I've run into oddities when it's installed. I don't recall crashes on startup, for instance, but I'd often see my PC "hang" on a black screen when exiting games (usually un/re-plugging a monitor would fix it). If I stick to the core drivers only, no problems.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Hakkar

I'm pretty sure I had the GeForce experience but now I cant seem to find it since I updated to the 385.69 drivers, just seeing the 3D stuff. Even tried doing a search of "GeForce" or "Nvidia" and I cant find that menu anymore. Any idea where I could find it now?

*Edit* I've found a not so consistant fix, downloaded a graphics pack that had everything in low settings and windowed mode, when I start the game in admin, I have to click off so its not the main menu, then give it a few secs, then click on and see what it does. If no crash I then go in and change the graphics and make it windowed mode and go back to the main menu, if it doesnt crash on me when going back to the main menu then I can start the game just fine. But if I exit the game and try to go back in with those same settings, it crashed on getting to the main menu.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Hakkar

Just an update, I decided to try the 2nd newest set of drivers and when I started the game, changed the graphics and screen size and went back to the main menu and moved my cursor over the start nenu, my pc locked up totally and had to hard reset. Not sure what else that I can do really.