• Navigation
+ Reply to Thread
    BG's #1 Hatsune Miku fan!
    BG Level

Vulnerability in Wi-Fi WPA2 protocol. Update your routers firmware ASAP!

https://www.wired.com/story/krack-wi...vulnerability/

I read about this last week but I haven't seen it mentioned on the forums. If one of the Admins thinks this should be rolled into the, "Oh hey look who got hacked today" thread in Youtube you can I guess. I thought it was serious enough to make a thread. I think it would be a good idea to post a little notice on the frontpage but that's just me.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Orinthia Warsong
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

It's not really just the router that needs updating, it's every single device that uses WPA encryption, meaning all your phones, consoles, tv boxes, bluray players, laptops, gaming devices, etc, everything using a wireless connection to a router. The main krack is essentially a man-in-the-middle attack, exploiting a weakness in the four-way handshake between router and device to establish the encrypted connection. Your router has less to do with it since it's your wireless device that is enabling the mitm. You'll never see their machine on your network and they can record and modify what you send and receive.

The only solice you have from this is that the would-be attacker has to be within range of your router, which could be bad if your router has a ton of range or you live in a crowded space (like an apartment). My three routers cover the house and up to about the driveway and some of my backyard, connection is pretty dead at the curb or fence on any side so it's more of a visible range they'd need to be in. And you just shouldn't be trusting public wifi anyway.

College, corporate, etc wifi usually has a second layer of encryption, a user id/domain/etc login, so that should be largely unaffected (attacker could maybe see the traffic but it's all encrypted and meaningless).

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Meliadoul Tinjeru
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Gotta be physically in range? Ha, I live in the woods, good luck, hackers!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Niya Kouya
    FFXIV Server
    Odin

Also, this "only" affects the wifi encryption. So as long as whatever protocol you send/receive has additional encryption (like HTTPS/TLS) that data is still save.