Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Satori Komeiji
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Falcom is better than SE. Change my mind.
    BG Level

That is adorable

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

So um...mama was due to deliver a new liter this week. I heard some rat screaming on tuesday night but that's normal from time to time. Fast forward to today I'm getting anxious, and inspect her and for the life of me she looks like shes not pregnant. I have no idea where the babies are. I saw a smallll bit of blood on there bedding, but I mean stupid small amount and I cant believe that if these rats ate all her newborns that it would be as bloodless as this bin is.

I'm hella confused and super pissed that I have no yield for the month cause this bitch lost her kids somehow. Her daughter is almost of age so i wont have to worry about droughts like this but damn this sucks.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

That's one reason why it's best to have multiple pairs. You can't really account for things like this. It happened to me back in the day with a small hamster colony. Mom went psycho over the weekend and ate everyone.

United States of Smash!
    BG Level

I took some portraits of our new puppies. We ended up with one extra and I am not sure what to do because the kids and my wife are super attached to them now but we can't have three dogs.

Top one is Barney (I keep calling him Barnacle because he is lazy) and the girl in the bottom pic is Perdita or Perdy for short (my wife named her after the girl dog in 101 Dalmatians).

Ridill
    BG Level

Currently the bane of my existence as I'm trying to work. 2 year old Midna.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

The first daughter of the first rat litter gave birth to 3 kittens over the weekend, and the original mama is about to give birth after her last liter was eaten. This family is growing!

I setup a gravity powered water reservoir system for the rats this past weekend, and made a second bin to separate the sexes now that the colony is growing. Between this and the food hoppers I dont have to check on them often sans making sure the water level in the bucket is high enough for the day. Well I went to do that today, and the bucket was drained. I thought it was odd since it had at least a gallon left in it before I went to bed last night. Checked the new drawer and everything was fine...then I went to the second and all I see is light reflected off the glistening bottom and a trio of baby rats covered in shit water. Apparently one of females said fuck this cruel life and jammed the water nozzle open and caused it to flood their compartment. Jokes on her though, I drilled holes low enough to drain water in case of an emergency to at least save grown rats that can wade through water. The only reason the babies survived was cause they had kicked the bedding high enough in a corner so that even filled partly with water they were high enough to not drown. I cant tell if this is grandma or mama trying to off every rat generation but its getting pretty frustrating trying to keep these rats from infanticide lol...

BG Level

That's nasty. RATS, lol.

I am going to try the monitor on rice paddy crabs today. They're from the same region so I'm hoping they'll be a hit like the freshwater shrimp were.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

Where the hell do you even source crabs like that lmao

BG Level

By complete accident! Found them in the big Asian market, while inwas looking for frozen kaffir limes/lime zest. They're little 1" - 3" freshwater crabs. If you keep monitors, Asian markets are a fucking gold mine. Quail eggs, frog legs, chicken feet/organs, freshwater crabs and shrimp. All the things they love.

BG Level

so, here are the crabs:

they came in a package of 12. 4 big ones, 4 medium ones, and 3 little ones. i thawed a medium and two smalls.

she gave basically the exact same response as with the freshwater shrimp: she attacked it, took it away from me, and then looks back asking 'wtf, this thing is all armored and covered in spines, you asshole' and proceeded to dismember it and eat half.

i tried to get her interested in the other two, and it was kind of a no-go. she did the same thing with the shrimp. her diet is supposed to be mostly other lizards and arthropods, and lizards are really difficult to source properly (though i fed her a freshly road killed baby gopher snake once and she flipped her lid; had to freeze it for two weeks first but it was a hit). she won't touch the big roaches, so it's freshwater shrimp, young adult mice, quail eggs, and whatever else i can convince her to eat.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by mallister View Post
    young adult mice
    Yoooo I gotchu just move to south florida

BG Level

...i would have a fucking zoo in south florida. it's a bad idea.

Smells like Onions
    BG Level

Why do so many people on this thread have snakes, It's kinda scaring me is this secretly a snake lovers forum lol?

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

Youd be surprised how big the snake industry is, at least in the sub tropic+ areas. There are frequent reptile conventions all over Florida's coasts with many species and morphs of reptiles, and I know the gulf states have similar scenes.

BG Level

Because they're generally awesome and a lot lower maintenance than dogs or cats, which the vast majority of people can't take care of properly anyway.

Sadly the vast majority of reptile keepers are the same or worse, and the bar for their care is even lower. But that's a different story and I will step off the soap box now.

Member since 2006 and still can't think of a title.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

I don't own any but I actually love the reptile and snake pictures. Loved handling my biology teachers snakes he had in class. Tarantula's and Scorpions though, fuck that nightmare fuel as pets.

BG Level

there are some really neat arthropods, man. i mostly felt the same way until my 2nd ex wife turned me on to them. i had a big female texas tan tarantula, Aphonopelma anax, that i kept for four years or so (lasted three years longer than our marriage, har-har). beautiful animal, so calm. we used to go road cruising and pick them up at night in Oklahoma. i eventually passed my collection to the north texas herpetological society when i took the job in afghanistan with short (ten days) notice. i was worried some of my more common animals wouldn't get good homes, but it turns out they had a guy that was looking for a female Aphonopelma (they're harder to find, they don't often leave their burrows but the males do suicide marches looking for females so they're common as fuck) and another guy looking for a male speckled kingsnake (i had a 44" male i caught in Little Rock, AR while on a road trip to deal with the equipment at their MEPS station and the pine bluff and mcalester arsenals) so pretty much everyone went to good homes.

i love centipedes too, they're so fucking gnarly. there are big ones (Scolopendra heros sp.) in oklahoma and texas, 6"+ i also had one of those big hissing roaches, they don't do much but they're cool.

they showed up at my apartment with a flatbed trailer and it barely held all the enclosures i was donating.

i havent' had many scorpions, just a big emperor scorpion a friend got me as a joke years and years ago. they have a very fixed lifespan (the tl;dr is they basically molt 8 times and they're done) and they're generally wild caught so you have no idea how long they'll live once you get them. hopefully they're being bred more now. they're also a tropical forest animal, not a desert animal so folks that pick them up at the pet store for $20 and don't do any more reading on them are just hot boxing them to death.

BG Level

more giant lizard stuff! i took a frozen rice paddy crab, about 2" across, and thawed it in cool water. then i ran it through a blender with two eggs and microwave scrambled them. after cooling, gave her some by tong feeding and she snapped it up readily. here she is feeding. she's a little hesitant because i'm standing there with the phone and she's real shy.

edit: i've never tried to post my own video, so let me know if there's a better way to do this.

Kevin Chang
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Tokitoki View Post
    Either way, if it's a service animal or emotional support animal, if it's not properly trained I don't think it should be brought into restaurants, airplanes, and other situations where there are crowds in close quarters. That dog I spoke of is an example. The dog was clearly tense, maybe because the owner was as well, but if it won't sit nicely and it's barking/huffing at people nearby it shouldn't be there.

That's just one example, and it may be a minority for all I know, but it's not good for the dog, the owner, or the people around it.
    I wrote the initial version of the fair housing regs for ESAs in California.

ESAs don't need to be trained, but the training requirement in the ADA for service animals isn't regulated at all. Just like how people get fake ESA certifications online for their pets, it's easy to get a fake certification for a dog to be a service animal without actually training them. People are just gravitating towards faking ESAs because it's easier to get away with claiming them since they they have no training necessary and because some people like to revel in overstating their typical daily life dysphoria as depression/anxiety.

Also businesses ARE allowed to ask limited questions about service animals and request proof, but because they don't train anyone on how to do it properly most just adopt default policies where they let the customers do whatever the fuck they want because they are scared of being sued.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag