+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

vidya link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2afK2JaInI&t=3s

please excuse my shit film technique. i was more focused on coaxing her out of her hidebox than where the camera was pointed, especially after i put my hands in to try to touch her. she hasn't ever offered to bite but paying attention to their body language is the first step to avoiding stitches. i can get her to come out and sit on my lap while i feed her if i bring a chair in and sit down in front of the tank. i'll try to video that the next time i bring her out; but i'll have to have my wife film. kind of need to pay attention to her because she is very, very easily spooked and i don't want to play chase the panicked carnivorous lizard around the room again.

I'm more gentle than I look.
    Mr. Feathers AKA Mr. Striations
    All hail Lord Yamcha

BG Level

Uncle's gf moved in and she brought these 2 w/ her.

They seem to like the stairs

Spoiler: show

BG Level

more progress on making friends with my monitor lizard. when i fed her this weekend, she decided she wanted to come out. i wasn't gloved up because she'd been sulking since she went on her little walkabout back in july and would barely come to the front of the cage so i got clawed up pretty good just with her walking on my arms. decided that the next time i fed her i'd have the gloves on from the get-go, just in case she wanted to come out.

well, i fed her and she walked up my arm on her own without any coaxing. i had her out for about 10 minutes before she got tired of me geeking out over her and went back under the lamps. my daughter's boyfriend took some pics:

Queen of the Pity Party
    BG Level

aw what a sweet buddy. glad she is finally warming up to you. reptiles can have such odd personalities since they don't have that mammalian social instinct

I like to eat food
    BG Level

Little fluff ball size comparison. First pic is from beginning of August, second is this morning. Sadie, the tricolor, is an Australian Kelpie mix. She's about 35 lb. Hank is the Sheepadoodle.

He should be about 40-45 pounds now. Friend has a Bernedoodle and thinks he'll get to about 80 based on his size now compared to his own dog. Breeder said 60-65, but he was the second largest of the litter. He finally has a deeper bark, rather than a puppy yap.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Eragon Mcdohl
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Got a new pupper

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

Anyone have experience raising rats? I finally bit the bullet and started a colony with 1.1 rats. It's been almost a month now, with this female being of age the entire time, and this bitch still dont look pregnant. Every piece of literature and testimony made it seem like I'd have trouble keeping this rats dick away from her, but from what I can tell the dude is a fucking eunich. What do?

I'll post photos later so people can fawn over my snakes food lol.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren
    WoW Realm
    Thrall

Hahaha, you got the Varys of male rats.

BG Level

brother, a 1:1 is not much of a colony.

also, where did you get the rats? you sure one or both of them simply isn't old?

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

I never said it was a great colony lmao. The female is definitely young. Couldn't have been older than 4-6 weeks as she was already weaned but not fully grown. She gained size up until about one, now almost two, weeks ago. I haven't noticed much change visually since then, and I never ended up weighing her previously to base myself on that. The only change the last two weeks that I've noticed is shes much more active, less skiddish, and some bruising around one of her eyes healed up and is fine now. I think the pet store overcrowds their feeder cages so bruised rats arent uncommon. Another reason I want to raise my own.

As for the Male, I bought him at an older age, probably 6-8 weeks. Also weaned, but much larger than the female at first. Now shes almost caught up, and he hasn't grown at all so I think hes done. He definitely has balls, and she definitely has a vagina lol.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

I'm sure rats continue to grow for many months, but that huge weekly growth from birth seems to have evened out is what I'm saying.

BG Level

They're barely old enough to breed. Here's a paper that may help:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...=1559210053796

BG Level

And here is one specific to feeder colonies:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...=1559210053796

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

I'm gonna pour over those, thanks!

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

Turns out she was preggers! She must have just gotten pregnant the last I posted, cause in the middle of last week she started to plump up. I went out to check on them this morning, and was greeted by 5 little pink preemies. I was hoping for more, but no luck this time; hopefully at least 1 or 2 of these are female and I can get a proper colony going. I'm gonna give her a day to rest before I start poking around more to get a final count on how many made it.

BG Level

well, there you go!

BG Level

speaking of pregnant...so is my monitor. she's been acting fucking squirrelly for a couple of weeks, and finally went full apeshit and dug a 8" X 4" wide hole out of the bottom of her enclosure and did battle with the cat. after securing the bottom of the tank (it's an old melamine over chipboard enclosure, the melamine cracked and the 2 quarts of water i spray into the tank every day softened the wood enough for her to take her meathooks to it), i figured, well, i have the new big tank sitting on a pallet in the garage, guess it's time to build a stand for it and get it put together.

so, i went to Lowe's and picked up some wood for the stand. i got it about half build (i'm slow and have a whole host of stupid chronic injuries that make shit that should take an hour to build take me days), and did a security check on the reptiles (the python is in a temp enclosure as well, her pond is in dry dock while i do some repairs to it), i see the monitor...and an egg. unmistakably, a fucking egg.

i got her as a young/sub adult female, but monitors are known to be parthenogenic and to store sperm as well, so there's a low (really low, but it happens, most famously with a komodo dragon in the san deago zoo that was captive bred and then raised singly from hatching) but non-zero chance the eggs are viable. the problem is that female monitors will lay develop eggs whether they are fertilized or not, and can easily become eggbound if laying conditions are not right. it's the #1 killer of adult female monitors. hell, most people don't even have any idea what sex their monitors are. the sexual dimorphisms are very subtle; you can try what's called candling, where you shine a bright LED flashlight through the base of their tail looking for the ossifications on the male's hemipenes (they are covered in spikes, hooks, and grooves and yes, they have a split cock). we did this when i first got her but it's difficult with a pissed off, freaked out new import, and the results were inconclusive (was it female, or just a very young male?). we had guessed female due to skull structure (females have a very long tapered skull, males have more of a wedge shape, but, again, it's difficult to tell and a very subtle difference) but just weren't really sure.

what i was pretty sure of was that she wasn't old enough for it to be an issue, so i was waiting on building her a nest box until i got the new enclosure built.

i was wrong. no nest box, dropped an egg in the middle of the cage. not. fucking. good. too late to do anything whatsoever about it (it was after midnight, and the only vet that does exotics here doesn't have after hours care), so i built a makeshift nest box out of one of her old hide boxes and spent a very sleepless night waiting to call the vet in the morning.

annnd she dropped egg #2 in the middle of the night. apparently, didn't like the box because she dropped this one right next to the other one. one egg is an obvious slug (the first one), the 2nd looks pretty normal. this one, she promptly eats. go figure. i get a vet appointment for the afternoon. after everyone ooooo's and ahhhh's over her, we get some xrays done. she's got 2 on deck ready to go, with 3 still in the cooker developing. doc wants to wait, see if she can move them on her own because pitocin and calcium shots are somewhat dangerous. so i go home and re-do the nest box, she does some test digs, but nope, won't lay. i think maybe it's not big enough, so i go and get the box my miter saw came in and fill it with cypress mulch and dirt and cut a hole in the top. this, she loves, and makes a bunch of test holes in it, but still no eggs.

in the mean time, i get the big tank and stand sorted out. has to sit for 2 days for the caulk to cure out.

she's in and out of the box all the time, and looks visibly thinner/like a deflated tire but i can't find any eggs. it's entirely possible she's eaten them. i have decided to leave h er alone for a bit; me rummaging around her territory can't help things. i'll check the box again tomorrow evening. doc wants her back in on friday if she doesn't move any more eggs. we'll probably have to xray again to check; my money is that they've been laid and then devoured.

i have pics, will post tomorrow.

BG Level

ok pics:

first egg:

second egg, panic intensifies:

makeshift nest box does not impress her:

i do not have pictures of the second, bigger nest box she also ignored; it's a big ass cardboard box filled with dirt and is in no way impressive or interesting ; ;

here is the stand for her new enclosure:

here is the new enclosure, basic build done:

here is the latest egg she dropped:

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

Those eggs look unfertilized man. Idk how they compare to snake eggs, but snake eggs like that arent fertilized or probably wont make it. Lack of moisture is sometimes the culprit, but those slugs look sad =(.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Satori Komeiji
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

BG Bucket hates my camera. But here's my cat threatening to power off my computer.

Spoiler: show

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag