• Navigation
Closed Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    a p. sweet dude
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level

Braves are about to get royally fucked for violating draft rules.

Member since 2006 and still can't think of a title.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Quote Originally Posted by Obsidian View Post
    Braves are about to get royally fucked for violating draft rules.
    About to? Their former GM joins the short list of Joe Jackson and Pete Rose as banned for life over this. Braves got off lucky basically being banned from international talent signings through 2021 and a loss of a third round pick.

Fuck It, I'm Goin Deep Fan Club President
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

What happened? I haven't heard about this

GATTACA!
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Melena View Post
    About to? Their former GM joins the short list of Joe Jackson and Pete Rose as banned for life over this. Braves got off lucky basically being banned from international talent signings through 2021 and a loss of a third round pick.
    It's hardly getting off lucky, given that the Red Sox got in trouble for the same thing and had much weaker penalties.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cail View Post
    What happened? I haven't heard about this
    MLB investigated Braves international signings, finding them guilty of a few offenses. As punishment, we lost the rights to 13 international signings (mostly organizational depth but you'd still rather have them). Also docked a 3rd round pick next draft, out of 2021 international signings, and 2022 international pool docked 50%

Some background: the MLB has dumb, convoluted rules covering international signings. Each team has a limited pool to spend on bonuses, and if you go over the limit to sit out the next international signing period. The Braves (and all teams to different extents) cheesed the rules by bundling prospects - you sign a superior prospect for less and inferior prospects for more, then let the international agent redistribute the money after the fact.

The braves fucked up and got caught and the GM was apparently disliked the industry, so we took the consequences for it. It sucks to be the team made an example of but fuck the MLB. Their shit rules are the reason this environment exists in the first place.

They'll probably go to an international draft in the near future but everyone (except penny pinching owners) would be better served if the players were treated as normal free agents

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Quote Originally Posted by Moss View Post
    It's hardly getting off lucky, given that the Red Sox got in trouble for the same thing and had much weaker penalties.MLB investigated Braves international signings, finding them guilty of a few offenses. As punishment, we lost the rights to 13 international signings (mostly organizational depth but you'd still rather have them). Also docked a 3rd round pick next draft, out of 2021 international signings, and 2022 international pool docked 50%

Some background: the MLB has dumb, convoluted rules covering international signings. Each team has a limited pool to spend on bonuses, and if you go over the limit to sit out the next international signing period. The Braves (and all teams to different extents) cheesed the rules by bundling prospects - you sign a superior prospect for less and inferior prospects for more, then let the international agent redistribute the money after the fact.

The braves fucked up and got caught and the GM was apparently disliked the industry, so we took the consequences for it. It sucks to be the team made an example of but fuck the MLB. Their shit rules are the reason this environment exists in the first place.

They'll probably go to an international draft in the near future but everyone (except penny pinching owners) would be better served if the players were treated as normal free agents

If the Braves were the first to get caught doing this, it more than likely wouldn't be this bad. But a combination of hey, we just punished the redsox and made them give up 5 prospects and limited their pool, and now you go and not only do it at a much deeper level then them, you practically flaunt it. That's why they got hammered so damn hard. This also now lays the groundwork for that Japanese player that's going to be posted to let teams know that if you cheese the signing, there will be consequences.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Giants were allowed by the Marlins to meet with Stanton down in LA, and sources say they are telling the Marlins that if he waives his no trade clause, they will take on 250-285 million of the contract.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Joel Sherman saying Aaron Boone going to be Yankees new manager

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

Quote Originally Posted by Pringles View Post
    Joel Sherman saying Aaron Boone going to be Yankees new manager
    Confirmed by espn

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Apparently Muelens wasn't allowed to leave SF so why did they let him do the interview? lol

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Ohtani turned down the Yankees he told Cashman he preferred a smaller market west coast team meaning probably the Mariners.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Quote Originally Posted by Roundelk View Post
    Apparently Muelens wasn't allowed to leave SF so why did they let him do the interview? lol
    That’s surprising as I was hoping he’d get it as he’s done jack and shot with our hitters the last few years.

GATTACA!

BG Level

Ohtani turned down the Yankees he told Cashman he preferred a smaller market west coast team meaning probably the Mariners.
    Weird since he's still considering cubs. Yanks will be a juggernaut anyway for the near future

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

I'm just sad because you're getting a premiere starter for pennies on the dollar basically. A 23 year old potential ace for years to come at the price of 3.5m.

I also found it odd that the cubs are still in even though they are both a large market team and a non west coast team.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Down to Rangers, Mariners, Angels, Cubs, Dodgers, Giants, and Padres.

GATTACA!

BG Level

I'm just sad because you're getting a premiere starter for pennies on the dollar basically. A 23 year old potential ace for years to come at the price of 3.5m.

I also found it odd that the cubs are still in even though they are both a large market team and a non west coast team.
    So I guess he's subject to normal arbitration rules as well, meaning he won't be a FA for another 5 years or whatever it is?

MLB international signing systems are such a joke

GATTACA!

BG Level

MLB fans are lucky as hell Ohtani isn't worried about the money and is coming over right away even though he'd bank way more if he waited a few years and came over as a true free agent

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Quote Originally Posted by Moss View Post
    So I guess he's subject to normal arbitration rules as well, meaning he won't be a FA for another 5 years or whatever it is?

MLB international signing systems are such a joke

It's due to his age. If he waited another 2 or 3 years, he wouldn't be subject to these rules and could sign to the highest bidder. He just wants to make the jump now and sink/swim against MLB talent.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

I think a lot of it has to do with his last season coming off injury. He had a shortened season, and less wear and tear and wanted the chance to jump now rather than risk another injury and potentially not make it far in the majors. In terms of pitching, Japanese pitchers have usually roughly half succeeded in the majors over the course of their careers. He probably saw this as the best time to make a jump and compete at this level and see if he could find a team willing to let him pitch and hit while his value is still so high.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

Miami traded Dee Gordon to Seattle. Seattle also received international slot money from Miami in exchange for minor leaguers Robert Dugger, Nick Neidert and Christopher Torres.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Supposedly Stanton lowered the teams he will consider to Yankees, astros, cubs and dodgers

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast