+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Although one thing though, I hope the existence of Classic servers doesnt mean they're going to give up on Pristine servers. That's still something I'd be interested in for retail up-to-date content.

Ironing this Thread
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

Quote Originally Posted by Shenrien View Post
    Going to die fast unless they go the route 2007scape has gone. Also "you think you want that, but you don't."
    Wrong.

Can you spare some gil?
    BG Level

So you think vanilla can survive with no content updates once you max out all your toons?

Ironing this Thread

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

So you think vanilla can survive with no content updates once you max out all your toons?
    It has been lol. And these patches are years apart it's not something that happens overnight like it does now.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

You know how hard it is to actually max your toons in Vanilla ? (Remembers Wintersaber rep grinding /shrug)

It depends what your definition of surviving is. The vanilla private servers all have huge turnover, and none of those were every getting more than 5-7k active players. I'm not sure that will be enough for blizzard.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Syaoran Li
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

I absolutely could not care any less about Vanilla WoW servers since the game felt almost unplayable to me back then until somewhere in Burning Crusade, but I'm glad they are at least adding this for the people that did want it (especially with that whole private server takedown stuff). I'll just be curious how they are going to handle subscription fees or if it will just be linked to normal WoW subscription.

E. Body
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Bleeding Hollow

This is Activision. Separate game purchase, separate subscription fee. Count on it.

Enjoy paying $75 to play a game you already bought 13 years ago. >_>

Ironing this Thread

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

Quote Originally Posted by Bweigelt View Post
    It depends what your definition of surviving is. The vanilla private servers all have huge turnover, and none of those were every getting more than 5-7k active players. I'm not sure that will be enough for blizzard.
    Lights hope has like 8-10k current players with over 5k on at all times. Elysium and Nost were the same and there are other servers on different patches like TBC. Part of the problem is the issues with staff and corruption, hard to keep and attract new players with server splits etc. Also a ton of people don't want to play on a Vanilla server with 10,000 people on it, it can be hell. Most people on reddit and vanilla forums have said from the beginning they'd switch to and happily pay for an official server if Blizzard did one. I would never say all 10k playing for free would be willing to pay to play, but a large chunk will and it will definitely attract more people that aren't willing to play on illegal servers with corruption.

I mean I agree, but I don't know if that will be enough for blizzard. If they only bring in 20k subs for vanilla servers(which might be a bit high, cause I'm sure a lot of vanilla server players have active wow accounts) will that justify the resources they are putting in to this.

Ironing this Thread

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

I mean I agree, but I don't know if that will be enough for blizzard. If they only bring in 20k subs for vanilla servers(which might be a bit high, cause I'm sure a lot of vanilla server players have active wow accounts) will that justify the resources they are putting in to this.
    The thing is I don't believe it's really much resources. Nostalrius guys gave them their code. It's literally a couple of dudes running it off a shit server.

Quote Originally Posted by Boyiee View Post
    The thing is I don't believe it's really much resources. Nostalrius guys gave them their code. It's literally a couple of dudes running it off a shit server.
    That's their gerry rigged set up that uses a TBC core. I think Blizzard wants to do a more authentic version. Even the lead of Vanilla Wow, Mark Kern who spearhearded the Vanilla campaign with Nostalrius said it was going to be a lot of work after he visited Blizzard's office over a year ago.

Quote Originally Posted by EternityEnd View Post
    This is Activision. Separate game purchase, separate subscription fee. Count on it.

Enjoy paying $75 to play a game you already bought 13 years ago. >_>
    Because Starcraft: Remastered was exactly as stingy as Call of Duty 4....

Anyway, for private servers, while I think the hype is overblown, I think the bar for success is much much lower than people think. Like on /r/wowservers people people 2k concurrent during primetime is completely fine for a private server.

For me personally, I'll probably power through it, but I will note that most of the early levelling is mad fucking boring. Takes you hours just to get your first talent point, and you have like 3 interesting skills to use levelling there. I could only get to level 18 on Kronos.

I think so....

http://www.pcgamer.com/this-is-how-b...a-wow-servers/
    "
    As a longtime World of Warcraft player, even I don’t know whether Classic servers will be a success. My guess is once the initial wave of tourists dies down, there will only be a small core group of people left. "That’s OK," Brack assures me. "I don’t think that’s wrong. There will be a core group of people who are really excited, and that’s the game for them and that’s the thing they want to play.

"I think there will be a lot of tourists," he adds. "But it doesn’t matter what I think because once we’re committed to doing this at a Blizzard level, which we are, whatever happens is going to happen. If millions of people show up and play for years, that’s awesome. And if just tens of people show up and play for years, we’re fine either way. What’s important to us is that we have this Classic experience people can enjoy, that people do have the opportunity to go back to. This is an important game in videogame history and there’s not a way to go back and experience that today. This is also about preserving something that we think is really important.
    "

I think they've established that they're content in supporting it, even if not many people play because the Classic experience is important.

Atheist Douchebag.
    Pony Slayer of the House of Weave

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

The answer is yes. Yes, they will support it. I would bet 100k is the bottom end of the draw for Vanilla. Whoever said it would be a great floater between xpacs is right. Go and replay the entire original game as a different class or spec or something for 6 months and then back to the normal game.

The Fucking Voice of Actually
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cantih Hacos
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

What bugged me when I played WoW a bit last year was that I couldn't play through the pre-Cataclysm zones, and that plus quest/content pruning basically fucked up a lot of storylines.

The brawl arena or Garrosh thing broke the Pandaren join quests, there was a thing with a caravan or merchant cart in one zone, just Undercity, Pandaria is basically schizoid because of not properly phasing the last zone despite them obviously having the tech to have done so at the time, removal of the MoP and especially WoD post-game gear questline is fucked up since it has storyline. (Basically from end of WoD to the launch of Legion, if you didn't do the quest, stuff with Maiev makes no sense/comes out of nowhere, AND YOU CAN'T DO IT ANYMORE.)

So getting a chance to play vanilla, or possibly even a progression server where this stuff is re-implemented is well fucking worthwhile.

Ironing this Thread

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

Quote Originally Posted by Zetanio View Post
    The answer is yes. Yes, they will support it. I would bet 100k is the bottom end of the draw for Vanilla. Whoever said it would be a great floater between xpacs is right. Go and replay the entire original game as a different class or spec or something for 6 months and then back to the normal game.
    This is literally what a ton of us current Vanilla players are doing right now.

Done or bored with content? Play Vanilla until next patch. It takes so fucking long to get to 30/40/50/60 plus farming gold for mounts - people have no idea lol. Plus ganking, holy shit is STV a nightmare with a high pop server. You have to grind, you don't have a choice. Great time sink.

The game is a blast. My first character to 10 felt like playing dark souls I died every few minutes.

Atheist Douchebag.
    Pony Slayer of the House of Weave

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

I really hope the Classic servers are PvP or at least have PvP servers. I plan on griefing the fuck out of people.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by EternityEnd View Post
    Actually, I doubt they'll ever do extensive server merges. They've pivoted away from that for years now, creating a whole new technology in sharding to avoid doing merges.

Ostensibly, their reasoning is that they don't want people to lose their names, but that's never stopped them from doing other things, such as the massive inactive name purge awhile back. In reality, doing extensive merges would be awful PR for them, because it would signal that the game's population has plummeted. Notice how they stopped releasing subscription numbers in WoD?
    Names wouldn't be a problem; they just keep the <currentServerName><PlayerName> format you already see in CRZ, and now multiple servers can be moved into a mega-server. There are a lot of servers that need cleaning up and, depending on several variables, would be cheaper to maintain when merged. I know some will think the the ship is sinking, but every new expansion bumps their numbers, and vanilla servers will retain more people, as they get bored between expansions and dink around old school style.

I really hope the Classic servers are PvP or at least have PvP servers. I plan on griefing the fuck out of people.
    My bet is they will also have the optional PvP toggle tech, if that goes live. Griefing just isn't my thing, or a lot of peoples thing, so it's hard to see them only implementing one style of server, if PvP toggle doesn't pan out to be a thing.

That has to be a given, given the nature of PVP/ganking/dishonorable kills/honor grind is pivotal to the Vanilla experience

Ze NinjaSYXX
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Nitsuki Syxx
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

As much as i agree with you, keep in mind we're in 2017. Many people are bigger bitches than they were back in 2006.

Ironing this Thread

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

There's no way there won't be PVP servers. They are far more popular on current vanilla private servers and have a much bigger draw. Even with griefing, like major griefing, the servers still hit 10k people.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast