BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by Boyiee View Post
    There's no way there won't be PVP servers. They are far more popular on current vanilla private servers and have a much bigger draw. Even with griefing, like major griefing, the servers still hit 10k people.
    The old adage of git gud applies here.

People will git gud if they are forced to.

I forgot ALL about dishonorable kills. I remember getting 2-3 DHK's outside of Orgimmar and being SO confused.

Ze NinjaSYXX
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Nitsuki Syxx
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

God i can’t wait to be a vanilla huntard again. Ganking people in STV will be great.

Atheist Douchebag.
    Pony Slayer of the House of Weave

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by Nitsuki View Post
    God i can’t wait to be a vanilla huntard again. Ganking people in STV will be great.
    Menethil ferry.

All hail the king of ganks.

Micronesian Thunder
    Get Down On It

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Blackrock

I didn't play vanilla until about about 8 months after launch, interested to get that day 1 experience. As with every game I'll be a filthy casual but still super excited.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

I might make a gnome warlock, just to see what it was like starting out again. I still remember fumbling around with the UI, since I was most familiar with FFXI UI, and after getting a couple of bags, from a friend, I was on my own to go exploring and catch up to them; I still remember the leveling route I took. Such a different experience back then, but I really can't say how much I'll spend on the vanilla servers since I mostly crave new experiences, not old ones.

Is anyone familiar with private servers? I'm curious how fast an optimal player can level granted how much we know about the game, we have SSDs and better interactions, and are probably overall way more efficient than 2004.

E. Body
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Bleeding Hollow

Joana's optimal questing record was like 4 days, 20 hours or something for Vanilla IIRC.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by carlweathers View Post
    Is anyone familiar with private servers? I'm curious how fast an optimal player can level granted how much we know about the game, we have SSDs and better interactions, and are probably overall way more efficient than 2004.
    Back in the day, it took us all a long time because we didn't know where anything was, had no real resources to look them up, and little to no experience with any MMOs. Can't be more then a week, for a dedicated person grinding it out.

Resident Moogle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Kachiko View Post
    Back in the day, it took us all a long time because we didn't know where anything was, had no real resources to look them up, and little to no experience with any MMOs.
    Reminds me of this

I am quite interested to try out WoW Classic, since honestly it's the only form of WoW I put any real time into playing, before I eventually felt lost/too far behind 2-3 expansions later and multiple attempts by Blizzard to get me to resub by throwing me 10-day trials over and over.

Back when you had to do class quests to learn skills, as well as buy books to learn skills appropriate for your level range. Warlock's little bar place in Stormwind was rather comfy.
    Spoiler: show
    FFXI just had a solid grip on me at the time, and I didn't understand the quest-to-XP solo methodology at the time in WoW. Felt backwards compared to what I wanted in an MMO in those days

Ironing this Thread

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

Quote Originally Posted by carlweathers View Post
    My friends and I all play on Vanilla servers. 5-7 days played to 60 is a good pace, but it usually takes a bit longer. Think 140-300 hours.

Using Questie and Cartographer helps - The server is also 5x it's max at 10,000 people so there's a ton of ganking which slows you down and waiting 15 minutes for quest named-mobs to respawn.

Ironing this Thread

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

My current 38 warrior is at 3 days 23 hours for example. But his professions are up to date and I've gotten a lot of flight paths.

Ironing this Thread

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

Also I think Vanilla looks fine, I had to compress this down to under 3MB from 9MB for BG bucket.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by Kaisha View Post
    Reminds me of this

Spoiler: show
    FFXI just had a solid grip on me at the time, and I didn't understand the quest-to-XP solo methodology at the time in WoW. Felt backwards compared to what I wanted in an MMO in those days
    The comic is spot on. Part of the reason we haven't felt the same about WoW/FFXI is because it was the creation of a new way of experiencing gaming, combined with the total lack of information, which made you explore everything, which was a big part of why you wanted to play the games anyways. Now we have an established formula, all information is known way in advance + documented extensively, and there's not a lot of wonder left, leaving just a new experience. That experience still has value, but unless you can replicate the other part, it will never feel the same.

Ironing this Thread

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

What's nice about going back to vanilla is it achieves some of that. Not knowing where all the flight paths are or some dungeons are really gives it that new game feel mixed with Nostalgia.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

What's nice about going back to vanilla is it achieves some of that. Not knowing where all the flight paths are or some dungeons are really gives it that new game feel mixed with Nostalgia.
    But most people going to vanilla servers will know where things are; the mind doesn't so easily forget, especially when it's got visuals to kick-start things. For those that never played WoW, pre-cataclysm, it's going to be a lot closer to that original experience, but resource sites and add-ons will erode that to a degree.

Ironing this Thread

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

Quote Originally Posted by Kachiko View Post
    But most people going to vanilla servers will know where things are; the mind doesn't so easily forget, especially when it's got visuals to kick-start things. For those that never played WoW, pre-cataclysm, it's going to be a lot closer to that original experience, but resource sites and add-ons will erode that to a degree.
    Idk playing vanilla currently with a few addons and having played since vanilla the game feels really new to me in a lot of ways and I've definitely forgotten where some flight paths were lol.

Duplicitous Jew with Political Aspirations
    BG Level

I've played WoW all of 7 days of a friend's 30 day free trial, but I could be interested in this.

That comic is so true. I think thats like it for all games. I remember in Zelda I used to think "wow this boomerang did no damage, this is garbage". Now I'd probably be like "omg,
    a 2 second stun on this boomerang with NO cooldown and no diminishing returns, so OP!!!!!"

I don't think so. I know where all the dungeons are in Vanilla as opposed to anything from MoP and WoD. I will however probably get lost going into Mara and BFD. I don't get finding a flight path would give me a sense of wonder like when I was a kid exploring stuff. I'd imagine a lot of the tourists having an addon that marks all that stuff on the map.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Azuremyst

When the question of Classic was brought up:

Brack can’t say whether it will be months or years for the release.
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/content/

I think a fair guess is late 2018-2019. They're still hiring the team to do it, and they literally answered jack shit for questions of substance. All we got is a promise they'll do it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast