re-telling the clusterfuck that was the Hobbit [trilogy] would be alright

RNGesus
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Considering people bitched 3 movies was too much time given to the Hobbit, how would a whole series be an improvement?

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrath View Post
    Considering people bitched 3 movies was too much time given to the Hobbit, how would a whole series be an improvement?
    More dwarf singing

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrath View Post
    Truth. I mean something to make up for it.

I'm thinking its going to be something like (or will be) Shadow of Mordor/War. I'm a little worried about it honestly... why would HBO pass on this? More of a rhetorical question.

Formerly BGTemp // TERA Fan
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Greedouw View Post
    re-telling the clusterfuck that was the Hobbit [trilogy] would be alright

This. The Hobbit trilogy was horrible. Frankly it was a complete disappointment as someone who loved the book at a kid. Too much extra fluff and pull away from character traits. A retelling that's clean and accurate would be most welcome.

The Children of Húrin mayhaps?

Atheist Douchebag.
    Pony Slayer of the House of Weave

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by Greedouw View Post
    The Children of Húrin mayhaps?
    I really doubt it. That's pretty far removed from anything any casual viewer/reader would ever have heard of.

Fuck It, I'm Goin Deep Fan Club President
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

maybe the origins of the witch king and the war of the north?

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Rulke View Post
    Too much extra fluff and pull away from character traits. A retelling that's clean and accurate would be most welcome.
    Been a super long time but from what I remember the old animated one was pretty good

Electric Six groupie
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jayne Barsala
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia

Bringing in characters not familiar to the series would probably turn a lot of people off, from a studio perspective. But if they tried to create a series based on the rise of Sauron, a character everyone knows, in the mythos of the Silmarillion then I think we'd get a great primer into its many stories. I think Galadriel is the only one from the movies that has presence in the Silmarillion narratives (at least someone who had a script), which presents another character arch to bridge the divide between Lord of the Rings and Silmarillion.

Who am I kidding it'll probably be some fringe story with weak ties to the original content that's further bastardized. A man can hope.

RNGesus

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Fuck the casuals, give me War of Wrath series :<

E. Body
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Bleeding Hollow

It appears the Tolkien estate is directly involved, so their stance must have softened. That said, I seriously doubt it's softened enough to allow rights to the Silmarillion.

I'd bet on properties/characters they've already given away the rights to, which makes me think something more along the lines of an Aragorn/Strider prequel. Maybe a War of the Last Alliance or Rise of the Witch King, although those seem altogether too grand in scope, unless they're blowing a serious load on budget.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

E. Body
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Bleeding Hollow

Quote Originally Posted by 6souls View Post
    That's not exactly what the article says:

In November, Amazon announced it will make a prequel to the fantasy hit “The Lord of the Rings.” The company had offered $250 million for the rights alone; production and marketing could raise costs to $500 million or more for two seasons, one of the people said.
    So, half of that figure was spent on acquiring the rights, and the rest is speculative.

Still a very high number. If Amazon's LotR acquisition is profitable, we could be in for some great TV soon, between that and Disney's multiple Star Wars series going to their streaming platform.

Atheist Douchebag.
    Pony Slayer of the House of Weave

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

5 Seasons

1,000,000,000.00 USD

Will focus on Aragorn and backstory of Middle Earth.

https://www.maxim.com/entertainment/...seasons-2018-6

Most expensive production in history?

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Jesus fucking christ...a billion dollars. Not sure if I like the focus on Aragorn tho. First of all its not going to be Vigo so...failed there allready. Second of all, there´s SO MUCH lore in the Silmarillion and the Book of Lost Tales, why not use that? The fall of Gondolin for example would be fucking amazing to see with that kinda production value.

E. Body
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Bleeding Hollow

Quote Originally Posted by Virg View Post
    Jesus fucking christ...a billion dollars. Not sure if I like the focus on Aragorn tho. First of all its not going to be Vigo so...failed there allready. Second of all, there´s SO MUCH lore in the Silmarillion and the Book of Lost Tales, why not use that? The fall of Gondolin for example would be fucking amazing to see with that kinda production value.
    The Tolkien Estate is involved in this production, but they still haven't relinquished any Silmarillion material for use, so it wasn't an option.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Quote Originally Posted by EternityEnd View Post
    The Tolkien Estate is involved in this production, but they still haven't relinquished any Silmarillion material for use, so it wasn't an option.
    Why am I not even remotely surprised. Bet it´s still Christopher cockblocking everything involving the Silmarillion. Can´t tell you how much I despise that man.

I'm almost as bad as Mazmaz

BG Level

be real peeps. the silmarillion was an encyclopedia for the tolkienverse. can't consider that thing a novel at all. shit was dry as the desert
    aint nobody want that shit

plus theyd have to tell people that aragorn and arwen are first cousins. which is awkward
    Spoiler: show

RNGesus

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

I still want a War of Wrath series/movies

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size