Malorne
    Blog Entries

Disney+ - New Disney Streaming Service - November 12, 2019

Announcement
    First Films planned to appear are Toy Story 4, Frozen 2, & Lion King remake

http://variety.com/2017/digital/news...es-1202519917/

Marvel & Star Wars films will stream from this app "as well"
    http://variety.com/2017/biz/news/sta...ce-1202549993/

Subscription to Cost "Significantly Less" than Netflix, Will go up as more Content is added
    https://www.cnbc.com/2017/11/09/disn...s-q4-2017.html

New Star Wars live action, Marvel, Monsters Inc., & High School Musical series already confirmed
    https://twitter.com/benfritz/status/928741333996486656

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

Meh. Honestly with how well Netflix has been doing and with the breadth of content Netflix has, I don't see the point of Disney trying to branch out. For something that is going to be purely Disney and maybe a few Disney TV shows here and there exclusive to the streaming service, I don't see the point.

Disney would of been better working to broken a better deal with Netflix imo.

At one point Disney is going to implode onto itself

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

Nah, I think this will end up being fine for Disney, because they have such a monopoly on good/blockbuster movies at this point thanks to all their buyouts.
    Not only do they have their own extremely extensive catalog of family entertainment (Pirates, animated movies, CG movies etc) they also have Marvel and Star Wars, plus the distribution rights to most Ghibli films, and iirc they are also looking to buy out Fox? Probably for this very reason.

Also, if they start working on series and movies to go straight to their streaming service like Netflix does, we'll likely see even more good stuff coming from them. All they need to do is copy the Netflix business model. They have enough properties to fill a streaming channel just by themselves cause they're so giant.

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

I'd also read they were looking to bundle ESPN in with this, if so, and they get live sports...well, RIP cable for reals.

We built this city
    We built this city on cock and stooooooone

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Alexander

Doesn't matter since the end game is just to turn streaming into cable. Content creators are going to keep splintering the streaming market into their own services to get a bigger cut of the money until they realize that people aren't going to pay for that many different subscriptions. At that point, you'll start seeing partnerships between different companies until we get to the point that you're basically just paying for cable packages again.

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by Katlan View Post
    Meh. Honestly with how well Netflix has been doing and with the breadth of content Netflix has, I don't see the point of Disney trying to branch out. For something that is going to be purely Disney and maybe a few Disney TV shows here and there exclusive to the streaming service, I don't see the point.

Disney would of been better working to broken a better deal with Netflix imo.

At one point Disney is going to implode onto itself
    Disney has had its own channel since 1983. I am pretty sure they are testing to see whether this is worth it or not.

Don't forget the Disney channel used to be a paid subscription like HBO. They probably want to go back to that model if possible.

And let's face it, paid Disney was way better than what it is now.

*nostalgia goggles*

Duplicitous Jew with Political Aspirations
    BG Level

At this point they just need to have Fox tell them a number and then give them that number. If they hit the market with streaming Disney AND Fox content as well as both film libraries on demand, how is anyone going to compete?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

RNGesus

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Oh man, 20 different sources of streaming content. Exactly what I loved about all the different TV channel options.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Deftscythe View Post
    Doesn't matter since the end game is just to turn streaming into cable. Content creators are going to keep splintering the streaming market into their own services to get a bigger cut of the money until they realize that people aren't going to pay for that many different subscriptions. At that point, you'll start seeing partnerships between different companies until we get to the point that you're basically just paying for cable packages again.
    I agree with this and I think you're right on the money. But it'll most likely fall through. The way we consume media has changed too much. With widespread knowledge of "free" ways of getting media nowadays, I think people are becoming much more discerning about which monthly services they're subscribing to and which media they're choosing to pay for. It's no longer a free-for-all for TV networks as far as far as consumers buying a cable package and getting a bunch of junk they're never going to watch along with the one or two channels they do want. And a big factor here is also people who subscribe to a channel or streaming service for one show they're interested in and then unsub when it's over. I don't know if today's consumer will be interested in a "cable package" - if all they want is to watch Disney or HBO or whatever, will they really pay an extra 30$/mo to also get a bunch of services they don't care about? There are probably as many people who wouldn't do as people who would - now that they've tasted the potential of things like Hulu and Netflix where you pay one low monthly fee for a wide variety of content, who's going to want to pay quadruple the price for the same content anymore? Consumers are often forced to pay high prices for necessary things because they have no other choice (I'm looking at you, major ISPs), but when it comes to entertainment there's enough competition developing that going back to how it was before may not fly.

Additionally, there's no way to force-feed people advertisements with the new way - people who don't wanna watch ads find ways to adblock them. Consumers have never had patience for ads, but they never had a way to avoid seeing them before except to change the channel. I understand a big factor of the success of cable packages was the advertisements they ran, but can they make the same revenue off ads as they used to?

Admittedly my opinion of this is based off common sense, the little I've learned about this stuff over the years, and anecdotal evidence, but I would be interested to know if anyone who knows more about the fall of network television and the rise and evolution of streaming services has a different view of what's going to happen in the future.

We built this city
    We built this city on cock and stooooooone

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Alexander

You're way more optimistic than I am about this. I think you're overestimating you average person's ability to use adblockers or those free methods. Also, you're not accounting for mobile where the former is much harder to use and is an ever-growing part of the streaming market.

Atheist Douchebag.
    Pony Slayer of the House of Weave

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Time to pirate everything not on Netfrix.

E. Body
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Ksandra View Post
    Disney has had its own channel since 1983. I am pretty sure they are testing to see whether this is worth it or not.

How many households would find this essential to keep their kids/cats quiet alone? Hell, I'm an adult and love most things Disney owned.

Who's driving? Oh my God Bear is driving! How can that be??
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

It will be interesting to see what model they follow. They could allow current shows to premiere on Disney/XD and then make them available on the streaming service later on. The biggest thing to come out of the streaming service though is the huge Disney Cartoon library including all of those Toon Disney shows such as OG Duck Tales, Chip & Dale Rescue Rangers, Tale Spin, Darkwing Duck, Gargoyles, Gummie Bears, Goof Troop, Bonkers, and Quack Pack. Not only this, but there is also the older cartoon shorts that they could catalog individually, or simply use the Toontown Kids show that featured shorts while two kids hung out at Toontown in Disneyland in the 90's.

One thing I do find strange is the idea of making a film such as the live action Lion King movie exclusive to the service instead of a world wide theatrical release, but hey at least this way they don't have to bar the LA times from movie reviews...

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TummieGaruda View Post
    One thing I do find strange is the idea of making a film such as the live action Lion King movie exclusive to the service instead of a world wide theatrical release
    Huh? Where did you get this information?

Who's driving? Oh my God Bear is driving! How can that be??
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by 6souls View Post
    Huh? Where did you get this information?
    The first article you posted I interpreted it wrong in regards to upcoming movies. In the article it says that the service will grant access to new theatrical releases from the slate of movies coming in 2019:

Those are set to include “Toy Story 4,” the sequel to “Frozen,” and “The Lion King” from Disney’s live-action division.
    This could all be meant as they will hit their streaming service before any other VoD service, or it could be an exclusive release/simultaneous theatrical release.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Press release for Lion King said that it is getting a theatrical release. They could be doing a simultaneous release like what Netflix did with Little Prince.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Zetanio View Post
    Time to pirate everything not on Netfrix.
    Gonna have to look into VPN service.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Netflix, Hulu, Freeform, & ABC will Retain their Marvel Properties
    5 Original Films & 5 Original Series in the First Year of the Service
    Don Quixote, Lady and the Tramp, The Paper Magician, Stargirl, & Togo films to premier in 2019
    Magic Camp & Noelle films in production
    3 Men and a Baby, Sword and the Stone, and Timmy Failure films in the planning stages

https://deadline.com/2018/02/disney-...el-1202281846/

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Star Wars Ep 1-9 + Anthologies Will Not Be Available Until 2024 Due to Turner Owning the Broadcast Rights
    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...k-from-tbs-tnt

And Turner won't give them back unless Disney will properly compensate. Disney sold Turner the film streaming/broadcast rights in 2016 for $275M.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

...that seems a very rare shortsighted decision by Disney to sell in 2016 when they announced the service in 2017. The streaming service had to have been in the planning stages for several years already.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 29 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag