+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Bring on the Revolution
    BG Level

Avatar 2: The Way Of Water (December 16, 2022) - Development Hellmode

Avatar 2 has been pushed back to 2016

fucking lol

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Avata...cer-28787.html

There was a 12 year period in between the releases of James Cameron's Titanic and Avatar. While he had other projects in the works, mostly dealing in underwater documentaries, it took him that long to develop both the story and technologies needed to make his science-fiction epic. After Avatar came out and became the biggest box office hit of all time, it was announced that the filmmaker would begin working on Avatar 2. Obviously we didn't expect the next movie to come out the next year, but it looks like we're going to be waiting a long, long time.

Bleeding Cool had the chance to speak with Avatar producer Jon Landau this morning, who said that Avatar 2 is still four years away. While original reports said that the movie would come out in 2013 or 2014, this update means that we may not see the movie until 2016 (that is, unless he meant production will start that year, which would put the film's actual release sometime in 2017 or 2018). Landau also said that one of the key things that James Cameron is interested in exploring with Avatar 2 is a higher frame rate. Last February it was reported that the movie would be made at 60 frames per second, which is even faster than the 48 fps that Peter Jackson is currently using for The Hobbit.

This will be crushing news to all of those people that suffered from Pandora withdrawal/depression after watching the first movie. Looks like it will be a long time before Sam Worthington and crew head back to that particular alien planet.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

I like how it mentions the people who went fucking nuts over the idea of Pandora and all its splendors, lol.
    Maybe he is pushing it back partly to try to figure out how to make a world people won't suicide over.

Resident Moogle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Curious to see how the move to 60fps looks for a movie and whether or not it may induce motion sickness. Also surprised he's not pushing for 4K.

Science Fiction Super Fan
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

you won't notice anything at 60 fps, pretty much a gimmic. unless of course he's making this film for our robotic overlords

Certified Man-Child
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Uzuki Ashtear
    FFXIV Server
    Famfrit
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    The Scryers

Maybe it's just me, but the first film seemed fine as a stand-alone movie. I can only imagine continuing the series as a cartoon or mini-series. Jake and Neytiri's Pandoran adventures or something. Possibly something involving their kids, but yeah, don't see the need for sequels.

New Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sparthia Abysseant
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by Fhloston View Post
    Maybe it's just me, but the first film seemed fine as a stand-alone movie. I can only imagine continuing the series as a cartoon or mini-series. Jake and Neytiri's Pandoran adventures or something. Possibly something involving their kids, but yeah, don't see the need for sequels.
    That's because it was a standalone movie and this is going to be a cashgrab that damages for the first for the sake of saying 'we satisfied moviegoers needs'.

Formerly BGTemp // TERA Fan
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

I thought it was going to focus on another tribe/type of people on Pandora? Like mer-people or something? You know, since they did the "don't kill the forests" already.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

I heard that it was going to take place on another planet entirely, like one of pandora's moons. That was a big rumor going around anyway. Or perhaps Cameron said it himself? I don't remember.

Quote Originally Posted by Silenka View Post
    I heard that it was going to take place on another planet entirely, like one of pandora's moons. That was a big rumor going around anyway. Or perhaps Cameron said it himself? I don't remember.
    Rumor was that 2 supposed to be underwater and 3 on the moons and stuff, like space around pandora

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

I love how that article says it took him 12 years to develop the technology AND the story. the dialogue, for the most part, was terrible. But I can understand the tech taking a while. If the CG &/or 3D wasn't as awesome as it was the movie would of bombed so hard because the dialogue is terrible

Fuck. This means Battle Angel will take what, another decade or so before it gets made? Fuck. -.-

wotg torrent kitty :3
    BG Level

yar. by now cameron will die before he starts filming battle angel..

Relic Horn
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Cichy View Post
    Rumor was that 2 supposed to be underwater and 3 on the moons and stuff, like space around pandora
    Isn't Pandora the moon?

Also, a prequel would work, or a sequel with flashbacks. IDK.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

It's no secret that James Cameron is looking to take the Avatar sequels to a whole new level by taking us to an underwater world of glory. The last we heard, producer Jon Landau said we are about four years away from seeing a new Avatar film. Why? you ask, because of technology. Once again, Cameron needs to create new advanced 3D tech that will be used for the CG and performance capture and will also have a higher frame rate. That, and of course Cameron needs a specially built submarine for research. Wait, what?

I was under the impression that Cameron took ocean bottom vacations every weekend. The news comes from Sigourney Weever who recently stated that her character in the first film will be back regardless of the fact that she died. She did an interview with Bad Taste, and here's how google translated what she said,

I read early versions of the script, but I can not say anything else James Cameron comes here and kills me. I can say that I’ll be in both, we will turn them one after another and explore worlds that were not touched in the first episode. [...] What is certain is that Cameron will begin filming in the new Avatar only after going underwater in a submarine that will build special purpose. I think it should go up to the Mariana Trench. Having put his hand on the Titanic for the 3D version has given him many ideas for narrative.
    Here's a more clearer translation that was found over on /Film,

Cameron will only begin filming the new Avatars after having gone underwater in a specially built submarine. It is thought that he would like to go to the Mariana Trench. Re-beginning work on Titanic for the 3D version has also given him many inspirations for Avatar.
    Cameron used submarines to film his movies Titanic, Ghosts of the Abyss, and Aliens of the Deep. But according to this statement from Weaver, the director/adventurer is looking to go down in something a little more advanced and built to his specifications.

It was also reported that Cameron will be moving to New Zealand in Peter Jackson's neck of the woods.
    http://geektyrant.com/news/2012/2/8/...ooting-av.html
    http://widget.uproxx.com/b/130/http:...s-e-prometheus
    http://www.slashfilm.com/sigourney-w...+%28%2FFilm%29

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

Possible prequel then? Her character was kind of interesting, it's not every day you see the 'bitchy female scientist who doesn't give a shit about anything but science' character in blockbuster movies (it's usually more in books and stuff).

I think it still will be a sequel, most likely she will be reincarnated or something.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Earlier this year James Cameron and Sigourney Weaver said that there will be three more Avatar Sequels. Cameron said that he's now, "in the 'Avatar' business. Period. That's it. I'm making Avatar 2, Avatar 3, maybe Avatar 4."

It didn't sound like a fourth film was going to for sure happen since Cameron used the word, "maybe", but Weever later confirmed that it was going to happen, she just wasn't sure how long it would take or how it was all going to work.

Most of us just assumed since Cameron was shooting the second and third sequels at the same time, that they'd just throw in the fourth sequel as well. Producer Jon Landau recent clarified what is going on with the fourth film saying, “We [are] doing two back-to-back, but not a third."

Who knows, if all Cameron is making is Avatar movies from here on out, maybe they'll add a fifth film, and shoot parts four and five back-to-back. Maybe he won't make a fourth Avatar movie at all. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Twentieth Century Fox wants to release Avatar 2 in December of 2014, and Avatar 3 in December of 2015. From things said in the past about this production, It's not looking like Cameron will be able to make those dates. Maybe the studio is waiting to see how well the next two sequels do until they greenlight any more films.
    http://geektyrant.com/news/2012/9/3/...ification.html
    http://www.courierpostonline.com/art...sey=nav%7Chead

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

Re: Avatar: The Tetralogy (December 2009/December 2014/December 2015/???)

Notsureifwant

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

Came in thinking this was about Avatar: The Last Airbender movies being created by the original people (not m. night shitmalon)

also unsure if want.

Formerly BGTemp // TERA Fan
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Avatar 2 (December 18, 2020) - Development Hellmode

Ehhhhhhhhhh. I don't really see what sort of plot Cameron can create that will draw in a new audience. I mean he could do more of the same I guess, but still...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag