+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: Winter Anime 2018 Thread     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

At least we can all agree that SAO is a pile of garbage.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I still laugh at konosuba but you need to stop putting it on a pedestal. The main characters were mostly walking often exaggerated tropes used as running gags who are thrown into various situations to get the same laughs again while not much really happens. It might be more enjoyable and harder to notice while you are enjoying the ride much like a sitcom is, and to an extent it should be given a bit of a pass since it does it on purpose as a parody of these in general and the genre in specific but it's still there.

And yes there was some amount of story and character bonding but it takes a truly terrible show to not do that. I mean Highschool DxD had more along those lines (though it's also run longer) despite being a trashy show albeit a very well made and actually pretty good trashy show.

Overlord is in an odd place because most the characters we see much of are literal npc game mercs with actual programmed 1 dimensionalness by players no less . Not that that really excuses it but it does win some realism points of how boring it is for a person to effective solo with his helper npcs and talk to them lol. Kind of makes me scratch my head when they find other new potentially interesting characters only to immediately forget about or kill them. He is pretty OP but Shaltear did kind of mess him up pretty good and he even admitted he almost lost.

Trash can also be pretty amazing though I'll recognize that a lot of people will be turned off by some of it. No game no life was at least at times pretty trashybut goddamn was it a great show and wtf why have they only done an movie and not another season yet!?!

Quote Originally Posted by Silenka View Post
    I would actually argue parts of it were good or at least ok. Like Ordinal scale was ok. Parts of the first arc were actually good albeit rushed and skipped around and parts of it were basically completely forgotten as they progress... and I just pretend the rest didn't happen. In fact I just didn't watch GGO lol

Quote Originally Posted by dasva View Post
    I still laugh at konosuba but you need to stop putting it on a pedestal. The main characters were mostly walking often exaggerated tropes used as running gags who are thrown into various situations to get the same laughs again while not much really happens. It might be more enjoyable and harder to notice while you are enjoying the ride much like a sitcom is, and to an extent it should be given a bit of a pass since it does it on purpose as a parody of these in general and the genre in specific but it's still there.

And yes there was some amount of story and character bonding but it takes a truly terrible show to not do that. I mean Highschool DxD had more along those lines (though it's also run longer) despite being a trashy show albeit a very well made and actually pretty good trashy show.

Overlord is in an odd place because most the characters we see much of are literal npc game mercs with actual programmed 1 dimensionalness by players no less . Not that that really excuses it but it does win some realism points of how boring it is for a person to effective solo with his helper npcs and talk to them lol. Kind of makes me scratch my head when they find other new potentially interesting characters only to immediately forget about or kill them. He is pretty OP but Shaltear did kind of mess him up pretty good and he even admitted he almost lost.

Trash can also be pretty amazing though I'll recognize that a lot of people will be turned off by some of it. No game no life was at least at times pretty trashybut goddamn was it a great show and wtf why have they only done an movie and not another season yet!?!
    I'm not putting it on a pedestal for comedy just isekai shows, if I was going to do that Nichijou would be the show I praise. Yeah they're giant tropes and that's what grabs you initially but they have far more subtle behaviours but most of all they're highly consistent. After a while you know how the characters will likely react, so seeing them in other situations builds expectations which they subvert. It's a basic formula that works for pretty much any good sitcom, I would say that Konosuba doesn't do that much to subvert expectations in the 2nd season which is why it isn't that high on the comedy scale.

I dunno about that, I'd say most shows you watch don't develop characters as a group if they even barely manage to develop the characters as individuals, but it's definitely more common in these shows to have no development.

No Game No Life was mostly trash but I watched and enjoyed it. Guilty Crown too, at some point shit gets so bad you just wanna watch and see how far it goes. Re:Creators too lol.

I would have said easily but Dasva always subverts expectations.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Season 2 of Fate/Aprocrypha Feb 7th as well.

*US Netflix

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

First 2 eps was nice, then it all went gahhhhh

I can't wait for Season 3 though, so I can watch people shit all over it again lol

Mithra Ero-Sensei
    Sex Manthra

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Erosensei Gulkeeva
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Magtheridon

SAO had its... moments

>.>
    <.<

Register to see the NSFW content

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

i think the blu ray added nipples to that bit, or a frontal scene? I forget lol

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Elcura View Post
    snip
    I think my basic point is your general like/dislike of a show or parts of it highly influence how grade it's content as a whole and shows you like tend to the high points highlight the rest ignore and while a show that has "problematic themes" will have the same flaws highlighted. And some of it's not even saying different things. Like oh they do the same thing it's bad hey they are good for being consistent lol. And I think you don't even really notice it. And yes perhaps I'm strange in being able to separate the bad from the good and personal feelings in something and judge them separately but can't be that strange. There is a reason why SAO got so much hype. While the hype train doesn't stop for something turning out completely terrible if it does stop if something is terrible from the beginning ala Black Clover. Definitely went down hill fast but it started off decent enough to launch the isekai trainwreck you see today

Anyways speaking of Trash Gulk I found your new anime of the season. Basically same thing as Sins from recent anime but with the angels instead

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
    i think the blu ray added nipples to that bit, or a frontal scene? I forget lol
    I'm honestly surprised people even bothered to check the blue rays out lol

I think my basic point is your general like/dislike of a show or parts of it highly influence how grade it's content as a whole and shows you like tend to the high points highlight the rest ignore and while a show that has "problematic themes" will have the same flaws highlighted. And some of it's not even saying different things. Like oh they do the same thing it's bad hey they are good for being consistent lol. And I think you don't even really notice it. And yes perhaps I'm strange in being able to separate the bad from the good in something and judge them separately but can't be that strange. There is a reason why SAO got so much hype. While the hype train doesn't stop for something turning out completely terrible if it does stop if something is terrible from the beginning ala Black Clover
    What?

Half of this doesn't make sense. I'm saying I like Konosuba because the characters are consistent so the situational comedy works, but the 2nd season doesn't do much to subvert expectations. Overlord literally makes the same jokes in the same situations, there isn't an expectation of anything or subversion.

Also let's not pretend that terrible things can't be popular. There's a whole genre of TV dedicated for that.

edit: speaking of compelling characters, 3-gatsu with the most compelling character of the series who doesn't really do shit lol, what a weird chilling episode.

Mithra Ero-Sensei
    Sex Manthra

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Erosensei Gulkeeva
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Magtheridon

I think my basic point is your general like/dislike of a show or parts of it highly influence how grade it's content as a whole and shows you like tend to the high points highlight the rest ignore and while a show that has "problematic themes" will have the same flaws highlighted. And some of it's not even saying different things. Like oh they do the same thing it's bad hey they are good for being consistent lol. And I think you don't even really notice it. And yes perhaps I'm strange in being able to separate the bad from the good and personal feelings in something and judge them separately but can't be that strange. There is a reason why SAO got so much hype. While the hype train doesn't stop for something turning out completely terrible if it does stop if something is terrible from the beginning ala Black Clover. Definitely went down hill fast but it started off decent enough to launch the isekai trainwreck you see today

Anyways speaking of Trash Gulk I found your new anime of the season. Basically same thing as Sins from recent anime but with the angels instead

the seven deadly titty team committee ...

Looks like something to look forward to O_o

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

I'm too lazy to take a screenshot to ID via google, @Gulk : please ID this gif for me?

NSFW: https://gfycat.com/UnequaledJadedGoa

I'll do it later next week if I don't see anything. It looks kinda fun. lol

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

It’s labeled when I bring it up- Nanatsu no Bitoku. Isn’t that the video right above?

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Oh. You're right! Some of the chars are exactly the same! hahaha. Oh well, case closed.

Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Claire Farron
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Darling in the Franxx is exceeding all my expectations. Fucking love this show.

Brokage
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Vasp Anemos
    FFXIV Server
    Faerie
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Fucking Gintama. Right when you think the feels train is coming in to smack you in the face, you're instead pulled back to the reality of how ridiculous and amazing this show is

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Vaspinne View Post
    Fucking Gintama. Right when you think the feels train is coming in to smack you in the face, you're instead pulled back to the reality of how ridiculous and amazing this show is
    I feel like we could come in every Sunday and just post "Gintama was amazing" and we would be 100% spot on.

'Cause it's true. You start thinking damn this is getting serious then suddenly someone pulls the mosaic off their dick.

Greatest anime ever.

Shimmy shimmy ya shimmy yam shimmy ya
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

Finished Devilman: Crybaby last night and wow. Was a crazy and an amazing watch to say the least lol.

Spoiler: show
    Last two episodes were COLD-BLOODED! RIP Everyone lol. Loved that there wasn't some sappy forced happily ever after.

What were they trying to display though with two moons and an earth? Am I missing something here?

Spoiler: show
    I think the moons represent the number of times Earth had been reset. The original Satan speech talked about a culling and there was no moon (iirc), the next loop which this takes place in has 1 moon (or 1 reset) and the next will have 2 moons etc. There's a good deal to think about what this means, like the God being a dick trope is deeper in that God is resetting Earth while also giving Satan a reason to care about shit so his destruction affects him in the end. Pretty messed up thing to do to him if so lol

Not completely sure about it, basically it was a way to setup for more Devilman series after the ending.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast