+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Winter Anime 2018 Thread     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Quote Originally Posted by arus2001 View Post
    Length of the source material or it even being some kind of trailblazer back in the day isn't really my concern here.

Spoiler: show
    Personally, if we found out there were demons, aliens, or even freakin' gnomes in our dryer that steal our socks, I highly doubt the world would go to shit that swiftly and easily. The concepts of fears and irrationality were pretty much jacked up to 11 with conveniently hilarious plot points like Russians making the demons so let's go nuke 'em. Oh, and fleet leaders have been demonized, but no one noticed them looking/acting differently.

Ryo being Satan (with tits?!) might've rationalized some of his behavior up until that point, but it still feels like a pretty convenient asspull to push things into the ending. Just gets topped off with the "God's a dick!" trope by nuking the Earth.
    We can barely handle different races of people (hell, even the same lol) and you think we could handle demons or aliens with any level of composure?

Otherwise, the rest was easily explained and actually true. People listen to authority figures without much proof/evidence, and fear and suspicion brings out the worst in people. The rest is literally just "demons did it" mixed in with the rest. With demons actually showing up and shit and I wouldn't doubt the world would go to hell very quickly.

Ryo being Satan is the other reason for this happening. He even says that he was unconsciously heading towards this end. Hell at the start he's the one acting weird but they make you forget that he started this whole thing by being crazy. And him being a sociopath is one of the first things they show you. The only thing his relationship with Akira brought him was a sense of love and then a sense of loss and pain. It just feels like you weren't really paying attention when your gripes are things they explain and foreshadow. I'm kinda glad I watched it on netflix because holy shit does the OP bang that concept into your head for a while.

Devilman is probably responsible for that trope even being a thing in Japan too.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Kokkoku has an interesting premise. Never heard of the animation studio doing the series though (Geno Studio).

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Syaoran Li
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

Feels so weird watching new Cardcaptor Sakura after so long. Art/Animation looking great now too. Don't really keep up with much seasonal anime much anymore, but definitely watching this.

Mithra Ero-Sensei
    Sex Manthra

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Erosensei Gulkeeva
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Magtheridon

Yeeeeeah, Devilman ending was just kinda wuuuuuuuuuuut.

Part of me feels like they might've gotten halfway through the series, realized they were basically sitting on a trainwreck, and decided to go ham with the bad ending.

Miki didn't deserve that, though.
    I thought the ending was kinda decent

It somewhat explains why Ryo only cared for Akira through the entire series. It also gives meaning to the sentences said at the start of the series.

Quote Originally Posted by Gulkeeva View Post
    I thought the ending was kinda decent

It somewhat explains why Ryo only cared for Akira through the entire series. It also gives meaning to the sentences said at the start of the series.
    I think I'd be more into it if he was just pretending the whole time and ultimately doing what he'd done around the world in preparation for the rise of demons, but subconsciously knowing the name of demon(s) and he wanted Amon specifically is still something I'd put in the flimsy category.

Also would've accepted the funky faced one that doubled as his assistant being more of an obvious effect, but we just kind of have to assume that's all offscreened/implied if already true. Otherwise, she was little more than a super double secret bodyguard until the initial godsplosion triggered him.

Don't really feel like indulging in Elcura's 2deep4u baiting, otherwise. As the show presented itself, I'm just not wild about how it got from A to Z and that some of the worst aspects of humanity are so easily manipulated.

I think I'd be more into it if he was just pretending the whole time and ultimately doing what he'd done around the world in preparation for the rise of demons, but subconsciously knowing the name of demon(s) and he wanted Amon specifically is still something I'd put in the flimsy category.

Also would've accepted the funky faced one that doubled as his assistant being more of an obvious effect, but we just kind of have to assume that's all offscreened/implied if already true. Otherwise, she was little more than a super double secret bodyguard until the initial godsplosion triggered him.

Don't really feel like indulging in Elcura's 2deep4u baiting, otherwise. As the show presented itself, I'm just not wild about how it got from A to Z and that some of the worst aspects of humanity are so easily manipulated.
    LOL are you serious?

Nothing I said even remotely came close to 2deep4u, you're just being incredibly basic by not noticing shit they literally said and explained in show. You can still not like it and that's fine, but then what's a forum for if not discussion? I don't get it. Oh wait I forgot people can't handle discussion on a forum.

My Little Ixion
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Olorin Bustyoas
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

Quote Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
    Overlord II ep1 was great!
    Everything looks the same which is a plus
    The ed (or op? since 1st episodes usually put the op in the ed... then do a switcheroo afterwards) felt nice on the ear. It seems more like an Ed song given the tone, but yeah, either way I'm all for it
    The lizards didn't sound like what I expected them to sound, but no big deal
    Fack don't tell me Crunchyroll didn't get the second season... I just started rewatching it as a prep. (Edit - NVM they do have it.)

First ep of Junji Ito was funky.. surprisingly comedic, not so much gory as it was strange. I feel like that will change at some point tho.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

TIME OUT MOTHERFUCKER

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Violet Evergarden is out in case anyone is interested in it. Kyoani's latest thing, based on a LN that is the only one to win their highest award. I saw the first two episodes at AX and it's Kyoani's usual super detailed artistic flair.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Here is the English trailer for Dub fans. The show will be released in some Netflix regions, and world wide release at a later date.
    https://streamable.com/o2c4i

Koi wa Ameagari no You ni Ep1

Just like the manga it's cute. The storyline of course is problematic, and It features Akira Tachibana, a school girl who falls for Masami Kondo, the middle-aged manager at her place of work.

Brokage
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Vasp Anemos
    FFXIV Server
    Faerie
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Calling it now, Sora yori mo Tooi Basho will be the hidden gem feel good anime of the season. Only just finished the first episode but I already love the characters and feel of the show. Tall, long dark haired MC with her "let them talk. Makes me want to show them up even more" attitude just gets me going, so good.

Edit: Just finished episode 2. My sentiment remains the same, a very nice hidden gem.

Also, it's chalk full of No Game No Life easter eggs lol

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Unikitty Ep1-10

It’s nice to see a cartoon that’s unpretentiously lighthearted and silly without being deliberately stupid for once. I'd say watch the Mecha episode if you want check the series out. I was smiling and laughing almost all the way through.

Love The Mazinger Z/Power Ranger references.

Edit:

I was looking through Netflix's Violet Evergarden and it turns out it's a weekly worldwide simulcast expect for Australia and US. Netflix really needs to do a better job with Anime release plans.

one of those rare times not living in US has it's benefits lol.

Also the first episode is out now on Netflix

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Satori Komeiji
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I'd say give it till the next episode to decide. If they just repeat the first half again but with slightly different voices I'll get pissed off.

The first half was pretty weird and fun to watch though.

My Little Ixion
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Olorin Bustyoas
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

Quote Originally Posted by Vaspinne View Post
    Calling it now, Sora yori mo Tooi Basho will be the hidden gem feel good anime of the season. Only just finished the first episode but I already love the characters and feel of the show. Tall, long dark haired MC with her "let them talk. Makes me want to show them up even more" attitude just gets me going, so good.

Edit: Just finished episode 2. My sentiment remains the same, a very nice hidden gem.

Also, it's chalk full of No Game No Life easter eggs lol
    Have to agree. The best shows are usually the ones you don't expect. Rakugo had filled that role for the past couple years. This one's got me feeling the same way.

Watching 3 right now while waiting for some others; Overlord, how to keep a mummy(damn thing is so cute), and record of grancrest war. Waiting for violet evergarden and the one with franxx.(cant remember the rest of the title.) Most shows I've watched in the past few seasons.

Motherfucking
    NOSTRADAMUS

Vamos los Perds!

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Wulfgang Amadeus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

God damn, has anyone else watched Devilman Crybaby on Netflix? I went in blind; rocked my world. Very, very heavy/dark towards the end.

Mithra Ero-Sensei
    Sex Manthra

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Erosensei Gulkeeva
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Magtheridon

Quote Originally Posted by Wulfgang View Post
    God damn, has anyone else watched Devilman Crybaby on Netflix? I went in blind; rocked my world. Very, very heavy/dark towards the end.
    yup, many did ... scroll up

also, evergreen was nice.. she just needed to lift her shirt a little higher... for added plot bonus points

Mithra Ero-Sensei
    Sex Manthra

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Erosensei Gulkeeva
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Magtheridon

Killing Bites... is gonna be gewd (also uncensored it looks like somewhat) awww yeah

TIME OUT MOTHERFUCKER

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

I don't think you're hype enough for Darling in the Franxx.