• Gravity Rush 2 (PS4)

0 0%
  • Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice (PC/PS4)

0 0%
  • Hollow Knight (PC/Switch)

1 1.10%
  • Horizon Zero Dawn (PS4)

12 13.19%
  • Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Switch)

16 17.58%
  • Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle (Switch)

0 0%
  • Metroid Samus Returns (3DS)

0 0%
  • NieR Automata (PC/PS4)

27 29.67%
  • Nioh (PC/PS4)

1 1.10%
  • Persona 5 (PS4)

13 14.29%
  • Pyre (PC/PS4)

1 1.10%
  • Sonic Mania (PC/PS4/XB1/Switch)

1 1.10%
  • Super Mario Odyssey (Switch)

5 5.49%
  • Tales of Berseria (PC/PS4)

2 2.20%
  • What Remains of Edith Finch (PC/PS4/XB1)

0 0%
  • Wolfenstein 2: The New Colossus (PC/PS4/XB1)

0 0%
  • Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (Switch)

2 2.20%
  • Yakuza 0 (PS4)

1 1.10%
Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    I trusted Zet and this is what happened
    Eleven owes me $40 bucks

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaslo Essyx
    FFXIV Server
    Famfrit
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Quote Originally Posted by Zetanio View Post
    It should be on the list. It won't win but it should be on there.
    (I'm being facetious, but really we need more poll options but stupid forum software)

2600klub
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Kaslo View Post
    by that logic Destiny 2 should be on this list. #justsaying
    One game this year has been transformative to online multiplayer, launching a new genre from niche to mainstream without a significant marketing budget.
    Despite it's flaws PUBG is the equivalent dune 2, doom, etc in terms of really showing what the genre is about.

Frankly it's absurd that any other game is in contention. Some games on the list are solid/polished games but nothing else is coming close.

Anything else winning is like "How Green Was My Valley" winning best picture instead of Citizen Kane, Art Carney in "Harry and Tonto" beating Al Pacino in "Godfather II" to best actor, or more recently Shakespeare in Love beating Saving Private Ryan.

Shimmy shimmy ya shimmy yam shimmy ya

BG Level

2017 Blue Gartr Game of the Year Discussion Thread: WTF Nintendo?!

Transformative? Really?

Tio Derp
    DHC Glitch of the House of Weave

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Gryffes View Post
    One game this year has been transformative to online multiplayer, launching a new genre from niche to mainstream without a significant marketing budget.
    Despite it's flaws PUBG is the equivalent dune 2, doom, etc in terms of really showing what the genre is about.

Frankly it's absurd that any other game is in contention. Some games on the list are solid/polished games but nothing else is coming close.

Anything else winning is like "How Green Was My Valley" winning best picture instead of Citizen Kane, Art Carney in "Harry and Tonto" beating Al Pacino in "Godfather II" to best actor, or more recently Shakespeare in Love beating Saving Private Ryan.
    That's like saying because Wonder Woman was well received, open doors for superhero women leads/women empowerment, and broke box office records that it should get movie of the year.

It doesn't work that way.

2600klub

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Xno Kappa View Post
    Transformative? Really?

Graduate of the BG School of FFXI
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Misses Beansman
    FFXIV Server
    Adamantoise
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

PUBG is still in early access and has no business in any GOTY discussions.

HABS SUCK!!!!!
    Sepukku is my Hero
    Therrien's Cum Dumpster

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

PUBG isnt "transformative" lol. Its an online shooter with a fresh concept. But at the end of the day, that is all it is. Notice most of the comments here about GOTY include stuff like "immersive story", "great gameplay", "great soundtrack", etc.

I mean, every game on that list there are almost all online shooters. That has nothing to do with the basis of "game of the year", thats replay value because if a PvP environment and the innate desire to be the best among your peers.

Also, by your assessment of "most played", League of Legends would be game of the year, not PUBG.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Azull Abaddon
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Id call PUBG more polarizing than transformative

Hackey Thread Lurker since 2010
    I could have bought an 11 pull and have 1000 gems left over, but all I got was this silly title.

BG Level

PUBG is an imported mod from H1Z1, which in itself is an imported mod from AMRA 2. It didn't catch on during it's ARMA 2 days. It kinda caught on with H1Z1, which made its own standalone game "King of the Kill." It took that long for it to establish itself as a genre.

Presentation-wise, it's still pretty damn ugly. Gameplay-wise, it fills a void in PvP shooters that took a few iterations to get right, and thus leading a new shooter genre that now has a bunch of copycats - aka. Fortnite's rendition. It's still buggy. Netcode can be iffy at times affecting gameplay. For an early access game, sure it's good. For a full release game? Not GotY since I judge its presentation to be pretty subpar compared to the other titles listed.

As for it not being on the GotY voting, leave it for next year. Dec 1st is a fair cutoff since it hasn't officially launched.

Atheist Douchebag.
    Pony Slayer of the House of Weave

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by Mrbeansman View Post
    PUBG is still in early access and has no business in any GOTY discussions.
    Again, it releases next week.

BG Level

so the most popular thing is the best thing got it

Quote Originally Posted by NynJa View Post
    Also, by your assessment of "most played", League of Legends would be game of the year, not PUBG.
    League being the most popular game on earth is truly a sign we have lost God's light

Online Dating DOES Work!!
    Sonic Ripoff of the Houe of Weave

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Hiryo Randgris
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

Popular or not, if someone says it is their GOTY then thats their vote. Will they lose on BG's poll? Probably, but that doesn't mean their vote is wrong, it just doesn't fit the BG demographic.

Besides all that, where is MvC:I?? LOL

HABS SUCK!!!!!
    Sepukku is my Hero
    Therrien's Cum Dumpster

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

2017 Blue Gartr Game of the Year Discussion Thread: WTF Nintendo?!

Youre right, its his choice to vote but

Its not that hes salty because PUBG isnt on the list, even though its not released yet, hes salty because there IS a list and PUBG didnt win by default.

Micronesian Thunder
    Get Down On It

BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Blackrock

Voted Pyre cause any game from Supergiant deserves at least 1.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

I don't really give a shit about this conversation, but if you're going to sit there with a straight face and try to compare that king of the kill bullshit to Doom expect to get the fucking smackdown. Fuck outta' here.

I trusted Zet and this is what happened
    Eleven owes me $40 bucks

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaslo Essyx
    FFXIV Server
    Famfrit
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

New thread title.

Shimmy shimmy ya shimmy yam shimmy ya

BG Level

What's the hype over PUBG anyways? Just seems like a slightly more robust KitK/H1Z1. Is driving around in circles to make it to the end really that much more fun now?

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

I don't get the hype for it really. Full disclosure I've never played the game but it just looks like a shitty PS2 era shooter with some last man standing and fully autistic playerbase thrown in for lulz.

Quote Originally Posted by Xno Kappa View Post
    What's the hype over PUBG anyways? Just seems like a slightly more robust KitK/H1Z1. Is driving around in circles to make it to the end really that much more fun now?
    Nothing, if anything it has even more annoyances than KitK/H1Z1 did, and Fortnight has come along and fixes a lot of problems PUBG has. Really PUBG only got as popular as it did cause all the top streamers picked the game up at the same time causing it to explode. The game doesn't do anything new or exciting, it runs like absolute crap, and has a ton of design flaws, but it's still riding that hype train. Although several of the top streamers have moved on now and it seems like the hype for the game is dying down a bit. Summit's channel has actually grown since he swapped to fortnight.

Graduate of the BG School of FFXI
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Misses Beansman
    FFXIV Server
    Adamantoise
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Even if it releases next week it will be even more out place in GOTY when it loses its early access shield against criticism and its still got all the problems that are still in the game.