+ Reply to Thread
Page 47 of 49 FirstFirst ... 37 45 46 47 48 49 LastLast
    Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

Yeah fantasy worlds should definitely have consistent rules or else it's just bad writing and no one likes bad writing a surprising number of people tolerate bad writing.

Atheist Douchebag.
    Pony Slayer of the House of Weave

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by Silenka View Post
    Yeah fantasy worlds should definitely have consistent rules or else it's just bad writing and no one likes bad writing a surprising number of people tolerate bad writing.
    A staggering amount of people.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

The reason it won't happen again is cause the enemy will just engage warp without doing the calculations regardless the risk because they'll get one shotted anyways. Problem solved jfc nerds.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

New Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sparthia Abysseant
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by Moss View Post
    So... are you arguing that there shouldn't be internal consistency between the movies? At the very least, they need to explain why this "I win" button is possible now when it wasn't before. Consistent rules in a fantasy world are what I consider fun.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk
    Neither Star Wars or Trek are consistent.

As IHE pointed out, things like Obi Wan using a mind trick, Luke and Leia communicating over vast distances or the First Order getting oneshot by a surprise jump to hyperspace don't need to be explained because they're meant to further the plot. Or in the case of the suicide run, create a moment of spectacle. The Death Star having a thermal exhaust port that blew up the whole thing was there for the plot.

No one in the First Order expected the ship escaping from them the whole movie to use such a strategy. Voila, explained.

When you try to explain everything it's how you end up with things like a Force Scream to explain away how Palpatine killed 3 Jedi Masters in 30 seconds, midichlorians to explain power levels and a whole movie to explain how some Death Star plans ended up in the hands of the rebels.

Mr. Bananagrabber
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Zetanio View Post
    A staggering amount of people.
    Just look at the last season of Game of Thrones or how many people keep watching Arrow

GATTACA!

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by ronin sparthos View Post
    Neither Star Wars or Trek are consistent.

As IHE pointed out, things like Obi Wan using a mind trick, Luke and Leia communicating over vast distances or the First Order getting oneshot by a surprise jump to hyperspace don't need to be explained because they're meant to further the plot. Or in the case of the suicide run, create a moment of spectacle. The Death Star having a thermal exhaust port that blew up the whole thing was there for the plot.

No one in the First Order expected the ship escaping from them the whole movie to use such a strategy. Voila, explained.

When you try to explain everything it's how you end up with things like a Force Scream to explain away how Palpatine killed 3 Jedi Masters in 30 seconds, midichlorians to explain power levels and a whole movie to explain how some Death Star plans ended up in the hands of the rebels.
    It's a nuanced issue and the takeaway is that it's in the eye of the beholder. Some things (imo) shouldn't be overexplained (midichlorians), while others (lightspeed) should be if you're going to introduce new, incredibly powerful and impactful elements.

The Force is magic. It's limits will/should remain nebulous. I'm fine with telepathy being added to it because it doesn't fundamentally change anything.

Lightspeed is a technical element. I'm fine with it being unexplained when it's only uses are "instant escape"/"not working cause they unplugged it"/"not working because of their tractor beam" (iirc). When you add in the ability for it to destroy an armada, you open a huge, narrative-destroying can of worms. Why hasn't this been used before? etc. It's lazy writing for the purpose of spectacle.

GATTACA!

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by ronin sparthos View Post
    Lol. So given the choice between being destroyed in a failed escape and using their one ship to destroy the entire pursuing fleet, they would never consider the latter? You would expect a cornered and desperate enemy to try anything.

Cardiac Cat
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Airlea Ocelot
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Aegwynn

The same bad guys that said "yep. No life forms on that escape pod. Certainly couldn't be a couple of robots with the death star plans."

They were doomed from the very beginning.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

Sun Tzu did say not to leave your enemy so desperate that they're willing to die to make a final stand. If the First Order read the Art of War they would have known better.

GATTACA!

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Gadritan View Post
    The same bad guys that said "yep. No life forms on that escape pod. Certainly couldn't be a couple of robots with the death star plans."

They were doomed from the very beginning.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
    Fair but there's a large difference in imminent threat between that and "ship could wipe out our fleet at any moment but don't worry I doubt they'll do that"

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

Is it impossible that no one ever thought to sac a ship like that? And maybe ep9 will be everyone playing bumper cars with their battlecruisers. That'll make fanboys happy.

GATTACA!

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Salodin View Post
    Is it impossible that no one ever thought to sac a ship like that? And maybe ep9 will be everyone playing bumper cars with their battlecruisers. That'll make fanboys happy.

Not impossible but extremely stupid if it's that easy to destroy a thousand ships with one. And if your ship is about to be destroyed anyway, might as well sac it, yeah?

I'll stop belaboring the point. People are OK with different levels of suspension of disbelief. This one was too much for me.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

I'll say the directing in that scene sucked cause up until that point I recall the ships lined up more horizontally, but then as soon as she's about to sac the cruiser the first order lines up for her? That part kinda took me out. The point of her sacrifice wasn't even to destroy the fleet, it was to buy time to escape to the planet so why make the impact cause that much collateral damage? Eh, I'll live.

I was more confused by the opening crawl "The First Order Reigns"

TLJ takes place directly after TFA. Was there an actual count to how many systems were under First Order control at that point? Or is it just referring to the fact that the Resistance capital world (and its fleet) was destroyed?

E. Body
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Bleeding Hollow

Your mistake is looking for proper world-building in the sequel trilogy. Who needs contextualizing information?

Member since 2006 and still can't think of a title.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Quote Originally Posted by Krandor View Post
    Just look at the last season of Game of Thrones or how many people keep watching Arrow
    I think titties and abs have kept people more interested in those shows.

RNGesus

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Quote Originally Posted by Melena View Post
    I think titties and abs have kept people more interested in those shows.
    Am sorry, just cause GoT has had titties doesn't mean it has had great titties. If anything we wanna see the end of the story.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Does GoT even have titties anymore? lol

What was there, like one scene last season?

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

We got hot incest side titty in the finale?

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrath View Post
    Am sorry, just cause GoT has had titties doesn't mean it has had great titties. If anything we wanna see the end of the story.
    RIP BAHD POOSY