+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 49 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 ... LastLast
    YOU BLACK, MIDNIGHT, EVIL MOTHERFUCKERS!!! BLACK MAGIC, DARKNESS!!! YOU RAW, DARKNESS!!! YOU, FUCKING, DELIRIOUS MOTHERFUCKER!
    You were cold as ice.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sho Ryuuken
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrath View Post
    I'm going again on Sunday. Yesterday was a fluke. I bought tickets an hour before in an empty theater lol No regrets either way. I didn't want any more spoilers. I got some from a post on r/all on reddit >_>
    Haha, I removed myself completely from Facebook/YouTube/Reddit/Google News/BG leading up to this. I am not sure at all why reviewers were allowed to drop their reviews 1-2 days early at all.

Also if you smoke bud, I say go baked right off your mind. You'll trip out on some of the effects lmao.

Shimmy shimmy ya shimmy yam shimmy ya
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Sho View Post
    Nostalgia runs too deep with this IP.
    This is bullshit and a piss poor excuse. I didn’t grow up with the Star Wars franchise at all and I still thought this movie was mediocre at best. I’m not a die hard fan nor was I one of those salty as hell fans that got their theory got nuked.

RNGesus

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Quote Originally Posted by Xno Kappa View Post
    This is bullshit and a piss poor excuse. I didn’t grow up with the Star Wars franchise at all and I still thought this movie was mediocre at best. I’m not a die hard fan nor was I one of those salty as hell fans that got their theory got nuked.
    Just because it isn't true for you doesn't mean its not a statement that is based in truth for the fanbase (not really talking about anyone on the forums or anything)

The movie has flaws and I can say that as someone who liked it.

You guys should watch this <_<;

The movie WAS NOT perfect at all. But it was not nearly as bad as you guys are making it out to be. The are some big ol' flaws. Poe's scenes either killed it or fell flat. Same with Finn. Luke has always been torn between what he thinks he should be and what he actually is. The way he explains it to Rey makes perfect sense. He is a legend, and he doesn't feel as if he earned the title. He had his glaring weaknesses like Yoda told him he did. I think you guys are just holding the old crew way to high on a pedestal, they're still human, and this movie showed that.

YOU BLACK, MIDNIGHT, EVIL MOTHERFUCKERS!!! BLACK MAGIC, DARKNESS!!! YOU RAW, DARKNESS!!! YOU, FUCKING, DELIRIOUS MOTHERFUCKER!
    You were cold as ice.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sho Ryuuken
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Bullshit excuse that's true enough. Nostalgia ran rampant in the movie, and I'm personally seeing a lot of people who grew up with the original trilogy immediately start with comparisons and contrasts, just like with Episode 7.

You have to see further than your own (and BG's) impressions. I think we all agree there were some glaring flaws with the movie, but lets not pretend that they aren't playing up the nostalgia for nostalgia's sake. The scene with Yoda was the largest and most obvious example (though it was done very very well IMO).

i didnt like the old star wars movies that much, i just didnt think this movie was great. had great moments but on the whole it was meh

Quote Originally Posted by chazzyphizzle View Post
    i didnt like the old star wars movies that much, i just didnt think this movie was great. had great moments but on the whole it was meh
    Do you like any of them?

TFA was fine, rogue one was ok. i'd have to rewatch empire since i havent seen it in 15 years probably

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Sho View Post
    Bullshit excuse that's true enough. Nostalgia ran rampant in the movie, and I'm personally seeing a lot of people who grew up with the original trilogy immediately start with comparisons and contrasts, just like with Episode 7.

You have to see further than your own (and BG's) impressions. I think we all agree there were some glaring flaws with the movie, but lets not pretend that they aren't playing up the nostalgia for nostalgia's sake. The scene with Yoda was the largest and most obvious example (though it was done very very well IMO).
    Absolutely, they tossed as many throwbacks in as feasibly possible. What I disagree with is the sentiment that people are being overly critical of the movie because of nostalgia to the original trilogy. If anything I’d argue it’s the opposite, which is evident with all the reviews deep throating this movie.

Brokage
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Vasp Anemos
    FFXIV Server
    Faerie
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Just finished up. Not gonna bother going back and reading all the messages as I’m not in a position to right now.

I loved the movie. It was far from perfect, Snoke was a total fucking waste of time, like villain of the week caliber, and I didn’t like Rey’s parents being some toss away junkies. Leia force pulling herself from space back to safety was also a little suspect, but other then those bits I really loved it.

Luke looking at the 2 suns before he died was a great moment.

Been Here Longer Than you
    BG Level

I don't care at all about the old crew dying or being replaced, etc etc. Do it, just do it with some solid lines and settings that draw emotion. I should have REALLY cared about the two most powerful beings in the entire galaxy dying (Luke/Snoke) and I didn't end up giving 1 shit. This was due to extremely poor writing, comedy is places it didn't belong, and drawn out Finn/Rose scenes that felt like torture just to get back to the story-lines that mattered. Finn should have died because now we get to have even more of his nonsense take up time in IX.

Also, the reviews on /r/StarWarsleaks and StarWars seem overwhelmingly "meh" or negative.

Edit: Some of the "cool" shit that happened was poorly constructed too, despite being visually pleasing:

1. The hyperspace scene was fucking gorgeous, but if it were that easy, why didn't they do it earlier and why didn't they do it so many times before? In the future, now we have to ask "why not just send a big ass ship into them all at light speed?" A droid crew could accomplish this...
    2. If the almighty Supreme Leader is killed so easily by someone turning on a lightsaber next to him, why didn't every single Sith/Jedi in history just ignite their opponents saber and chop off their arm or leg while it was in his or her belt? (Some wear it face up, others down, either way...results).

You were cold as ice.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sho Ryuuken
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Absolutely, they tossed as many throwbacks in as feasibly possible. What I disagree with is the sentiment that people are being overly critical of the movie because of nostalgia to the original trilogy. If anything I’d argue it’s the opposite, which is evident with all the reviews deep throating this movie.
    They did way more throwbacks than "feasibly possible". If you are very well versed in the previous Star Wars movies, you could point out a very large amount of throwbacks and homages to them in this movie. I'm OK with being wrong overall, especially since I enjoyed the movie. However, I'll still have to disagree on the nostalgia deal.

I Am, Who I Am.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Alistaire View Post

Spoilery for Rebels if you care. I imagine not though.
    Still love watching how simple and perfect this fight is.

I Am, Who I Am.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

After being pissed off most of last night and this morning.. I've gotten over my angst a bit, but i'm still disappointed with TLJ. I blame being overhyped for it, and I think if I watch it again and not be so caught up with the lore I might be able to enjoy it.

My main issue is that this is still being linked to the original trilogy, and all this movie did was shit over it. I really hope they leave this timeline along once they're done with 9.

Also, did anyone else notice how poorly animated Snoke was when he was first walking around? For some reason looked really choppy/sloppy.

Been Here Longer Than you
    BG Level

Yoda also looked really bad, when he first showed up, but then got progressively better looking?

I Am, Who I Am.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Yoda was the original puppet (or at least made to be near exact); just took a moment to focus your eyes.

I actually did like force floating Leia, I mean at least that makes sense.

RNGesus

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Didn't notice the Snoke issues. Will watch for it on sunday

Brokage
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Vasp Anemos
    FFXIV Server
    Faerie
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

I thought Yoda was well done and a nice surprise. And I immediately noticed and really appreciated them using puppet Yoda and not CGI Yoda lol.

I know Luke 'died', but he only taught Rey 2 of his promised 3 lessons (I think only 2 anyway, from what I remember) and told Ren that if he strikes him down, he'll never get rid of Luke (or something like that), so I wouldn't be surprised if Ghost-force Luke shows up in episode 9. Not in a major role, but like, minor support role like Yoda in this movie or Obi-Wan in episode 5/6

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Weltall View Post
    Yoda also looked really bad, when he first showed up, but then got progressively better looking?
    I'm glad I wasn't the only one that noticed that. Felt like it was CGI Yoda at first and then switched to puppet Yoda?

I wouldn't be surprised if that scene was spliced together from several different takes for whatever reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Weltall View Post
    1. The hyperspace scene was fucking gorgeous, but if it were that easy, why didn't they do it earlier and why didn't they do it so many times before? In the future, now we have to ask "why not just send a big ass ship into them all at light speed?" A droid crew could accomplish this...
    I've seen people bring this up, but they can't toss their limited fleet into the FO's fleet every time they get into a fight. I think we saw an extreme amount of destruction this time because it was the one time they were going to do it. And it was a bit much imo (loved the scene because it was cool as shit - reminded me of the FTL jump into the atmosphere and FTL out from Battlestar).

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 49 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 ... LastLast