+ Reply to Thread
    You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Is there a way to fix my spacebar?

So I am in the process of cleaning out my keyboard and I broke a piece off my spacebar. -.-; It still works, but only if I hit it with my left thumb. I type about 80 wpm, so I'd rather not train my brain to just use the left thumb as that will slow down my typing speed.

This is the piece that broke off. There should be an overhanging part for the metal rod to hook in to:

This is what it should look like:

I did try googling it, but the only in-home fixes I could find were to fix the rod if it broke, rather than this part.

Any ideas?

Special at 11:30 or w/e
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Looks like a basic board. Just buy a new one. And if you type that fast and you've never had a mechanical, do your fingers a favor and get one.

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by Kalmado View Post
    Looks like a basic board. Just buy a new one. And if you type that fast and you've never had a mechanical, do your fingers a favor and get one.
    It's a g15, which cost me $80 back in the day. I don't know what the cost would be to replace it to a comparable model as they don't make them anymore.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

If you were intent on fixing it, just rig up something that'd hook the bar instead of the plastic. Maybe drill some small holes to glue a staple or paper clip into.

That said, I agree with the sentiment to use it as an excuse to get a mechanical (or ask for one for Christmas).

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by Isiolia View Post
    If you were intent on fixing it, just rig up something that'd hook the bar instead of the plastic. Maybe drill some small holes to glue a staple or paper clip into.
    I have no idea how to do this, which is why I posted. XD

That said, I agree with the sentiment to use it as an excuse to get a mechanical (or ask for one for Christmas).
    Logitech mechanical keyboard is $80. I cannot afford to get another one, and I want to stick to logitech as I also have a g13 I set profiles to.

Special at 11:30 or w/e
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

This is the board I have and I love it. $70 on both Amazon and Newegg. Only gripe that seems common is the software is a little wonky. I don't use it so I don't care. It has cherry mx reds which is what I prefer. Blues are too clicky for my taste.

This is my work board. It reg goes on sale for $30 but $40 isn't bad either. Outemu browns which I don't mind. No wrist rest but for my work it doesn't matter.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by Ksandra View Post
    I cannot afford to get another one, and I want to stick to logitech as I also have a g13 I set profiles to.
    Please, I cannot afford to buy another keyboard. We already spent tons on gifts for the kids. I did not make this thread for keyboard recommendations. I just asked if someone had ideas on how I could fix this.

I'm not buying another keyboard.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Orinthia Warsong
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

do you still have the broken part? maybe use some super glue? I'm just assuming this is some sorta plastic bracket that broke off, in which case you'd just have to see how it's supposed to line up and then glue it in place. Is it a bracket or does it press down? Maybe wad a little tinfoil into a blob/block and elmer glue it in place to mimic the profile/height of the other side with a little space inside for the metal spacebar hook. Or maybe ask the kids what they think.

Or maybe stop taking advice from a dolphin, I'm totally not a virus though.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by orinthia View Post
    do you still have the broken part? maybe use some super glue? I'm just assuming this is some sorta plastic bracket that broke off, in which case you'd just have to see how it's supposed to line up and then glue it in place. Is it a bracket or does it press down? Maybe wad a little tinfoil into a blob/block and elmer glue it in place to mimic the profile/height of the other side with a little space inside for the metal spacebar hook. Or maybe ask the kids what they think.

Or maybe stop taking advice from a dolphin, I'm totally not a virus though.
    lol my kids are 5 and 3, they'd probably solve it by painting all over it. XD

I like the tin foil idea, I wonder if it would be solid enough. I don't have the piece. I honestly didn't even know it was broken, until I went to put it back on.

Thanks!