1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 18 hours, 30 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 5 hours, 29 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 1 days, 11 hours, 30 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 4 days, 22 hours, 29 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
    Resident Moogle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Man, they went with my estimated worst-cast scenario for the glamour system.

Bitflags for glamour storage like that armoire we got that can be read once, cached for later? Nah man, we can't do simple shit like that for our server, let's store an extra 200 inventory items of infrequently-accessed space at an inn only instead. Then, let people save 10 presets max across 15 jobs+DoH/L when we could have had glamour-specific appearance slots on the Character screen that we could macro like other games in the genre.

Anyways, 999 stacks will be a godsend for crafting. That'll save me 10 slots off the bat with my current horde of worsted yarn mats. Not sure what I'd stuff on a chocobo companion though. If you can still access that storage while in town (despite them not showing up physically) I'll use them for storing common crafting mats on, since that'd be faster than the retainer menu.

Don't know why they have Exdeath in the far back of the 4.2 poster though.

Can you spare some gil?
    BG Level

Exdeath considered canon in the FFXIV story now.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Satori Komeiji
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Kaisha View Post
    Man, they went with my estimated worst-cast scenario for the glamour system.

Bitflags for glamour storage like that armoire we got that can be read once, cached for later? Nah man, we can't do simple shit like that for our server, let's store an extra 200 inventory items of infrequently-accessed space at an inn only instead. Then, let people save 10 presets max across 15 jobs+DoH/L when we could have had glamour-specific appearance slots on the Character screen that we could macro like other games in the genre.

Anyways, 999 stacks will be a godsend for crafting. That'll save me 10 slots off the bat with my current horde of worsted yarn mats. Not sure what I'd stuff on a chocobo companion though. If you can still access that storage while in town (despite them not showing up physically) I'll use them for storing common crafting mats on, since that'd be faster than the retainer menu.

Don't know why they have Exdeath in the far back of the 4.2 poster though.
    I've heard people say they're gonna throw baits into the chocobo. Personally I'm gonna throw primal/savage tokens in that bitch

Can you spare some gil?
    BG Level

I'm gonna throw nothing into it because my inventory on any character I play has at most maybe 8 slots being used because fuck crafting.

Quote Originally Posted by Shenrien View Post
    Exdeath considered canon in the FFXIV story now.
    do we know if its the same exdeath like gilgamesh?

Impossiblu
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Prothescar Centursa
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Omega pretty much outright says he retrieved "many heroes and villains" from the omniverse for its battle royale, so it's safe to assume that whoever we fight in the Deltascape are the real deals.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharlan Lynare
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Valefor
    WoW Realm
    Kirin Tor

Not really. Creatures in the Rift are constantly referred to as a "creations" or "simulations" made by Omega. Some might be based on real characters, others seem based on fictional characters, but creations nonetheless.

Spoiler: show
    MIDGARDSORMR
    'Tis one of Omega's creations.
    MIDGARDSORMR
    Omega is a weapon wrought in a place beyond the reach of thy kind, capable of weaving aether into life.
    MIDGARDSORMR
    That serpent is yet unfinished, but doubt not that it will become a corporeal threat ere long.

OMEGA
    The aim of the experiment is to determine the mightiest being in creation.
    OMEGA
    To that end, eighty-nine candidates have been selected and recreated. They are grouped by dimension, matched by strength, and pitted against one another.

MIDGARDSORMR
    The making of life is not Omega's primary function. It bringeth complex beings into the corporeal realm only at great cost to itself.
    MIDGARDSORMR
    As such, it employeth this plane to test unfinished works, that it might determine a single entity worthy of creation.

Tales of Halicarnassus and Exdeath, and how Omega can't tell between fact or fiction so he just creates any being that makes sense:
    NERO
    <sigh> It appears a lesson is in order. Halicarnassus is a character from an ancient fable. In the tale, she is one of the chief antagonists, and as such things are wont to unfold, she meets her end at the hands of the heroes─incurably valiant youths not unlike our adventurer friend here.
    NERO
    Literary historians have speculated that the tale could be loosely based on events which took place in the Fourth Astral Era, but little remains of that age, and there is no way to verify the claim. Indeed, most now assume the story to be a work of pure fiction.
    CID
    ...You mean to tell me that Omega is populating its grand experiment with fictional characters?
    MIDGARDSORMR
    'Twould seem your understanding is yet lacking. Scant grasp have I of that which men know and know not...
    MIDGARDSORMR
    Mark me, then. Omega hath no soul. No mind's eye in which to envision a rival.
    MIDGARDSORMR
    To bring forth new life, it must needs draw upon that which hath already been─its every creation being another's conception.
    MIDGARDSORMR
    This limitation is concealed by the breadth of its experience. It possesseth the means to retain the knowledge of entire eras─and not only of this reflection. Yet it perceiveth not this knowledge as we do.
    MIDGARDSORMR
    Fact...fiction...the distinction holdeth no meaning for Omega. All is equal in its eyes. If a thing is logical, it can be created.

NERO
    From what I have been able to gather, your opponent is, and I quote, “a great tree born of an agglomeration of evil will, which assumes the form of a dark mage.” All of which I suggest you ignore.
    NERO
    His name is Exdeath, and he plays the role of chief antagonist in another ancient tale.

It's never mentioned that he's retrieving beings from other universes/dimensions, except for our party. He does single us out as being different:
    OMEGA
    (-Omega-)As corporeal lifeforms, you need not undergo development within a test world. Instead, you may use this space freely.
    NERO
    Hm. Assuming the dragon has the right of it, all test subjects must needs be works in progress─save for ourselves, of course. But how then do we explain Alpha? As I recall, it manifested corporeally outside the rift.

I wouldn't be surprised if there were more test subjects like us fighting their way through the Rift but it doesn't sound like anything we've encountered so far has been "real".

There was an interview with Ferne/Yoshida where someone asked if the Void in O4S and the Void in Eorzea were related, and they pretty much handwaved it as "lol it's just a simulation about a silly tale bro" but I'm having issues finding it.
    EDIT: Found it:
    Gamer Escape: Did Neo Exdeath manage to tap into the actual void from the Deltascape or was that more Omega-synthetic shenanigans?

Koji Fox: Omega shenanigans. Exdeath is from the void, so Omega compiled some void.
    As for Sigmascape (and I guess Omegascape later?), I'm wondering if we'll eventually see heroes from other FFs (whether they are the real deal or just simulated from their respective tales). There was talk about Omega wanting to investigate "the anomaly" of seemingly regular people rising up against all odds and defeating stronger enemies in all the different stories/tales. Maybe the next step will be testing what happens when you pit "heroes" against each other.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Raldo Volca
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung

I'd like to see it kidnap Cid and transform him into FFXII's Cid for us to fight, since its stated goal is to stress out the player character to see them perform "miracles".

But yeah, the stuff Omega has pitted against us is all fictional thus far. They can easily hand-wave a reason for any fictional story to exist in the game, so they really have free reign to pull from any other FF game (or anything, really) and not have to worry about it being canon. The only real characters I can think of that we might fight are the Warriors of Darkness. Since Omega is inter-dimensional, it could probably swing over there and pick 'em up.

I find it very odd that Exdeath is present on the 4.2 poster. I hope it's just a case of them drawing the previous boss to avoid spoilers, and not that the patch will have anything to do with us fighting him again. There's a lot of random smears on the poster, so unless that's just a stylistic choice, maybe they'll update the picture when the patch goes live. Then again, they probably don't want to spoil the final boss of their new endgame shit via a poster.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Satori Komeiji
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Teisha Linne
    FFXIV Server
    Moogle
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Ha, Tenzen!

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Hioki Mitone
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Destromath

Byakko's face looks so derpy. Hope it looks better in game and the pictures just are not doing him justice. D:

Queen of the Pity Party
    BG Level

looks like new boar, turtle, and weasel minions? I'm not a minion expert but I don't think those are in the game yet. of course that screenshot is from a story scene so who knows

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Seraphus Highwynn
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

Glad to see they're reusing more FFXI assets.

Byakko (FFXIV) is a rip of Kumhau(FFXI), but looks like they retextured the mane into skin so it looks more tiger-esque than lion-esque.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Satori Komeiji
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I mean a lot of FFXIV is using the base model looks. Just upping the fidelity and graphical appearance.

I think the Arena is gonna be insane because up at the top left you can see an upside down tree.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

Honestly all the XI throwback stuff is what I'm most excited for lol. Thanks nostalgia

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

Quote Originally Posted by Silenka View Post
    Honestly all the XI throwback stuff is what I'm most excited for lol. Thanks nostalgia
    Until the content is released and your disappointment rises

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

I don't think I can be disappointed anymore. I know exactly what I'm gonna get.
    But lately I've been kinda skipping the ex trials (I still haven't cleared warring triad or susanoo/shinryu) due to lack of motivation. The fact that the new ones are gonna be reminders of XI will push me into doing them at least.

Impossiblu
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Prothescar Centursa
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Quote Originally Posted by Silenka View Post
    Nostalgia is just about the only thing that XIV has that it does right, but it'd be hard to fuck that up with 30 years of material to work with.

Prime Minister of Salt

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Omega Deathbringer
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Byakko's Haidate or riot- weapons be damnned.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

And the cycle begins anew.