1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 22 hours, 23 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 1 hours, 36 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 2 days, 15 hours, 23 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 3 days, 18 hours, 36 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
    The Defense is ready, Your Honor
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

Quote Originally Posted by Alkar View Post
    BLU has the PvP Limit Break for casters according to the datamine, it's probably happening down the line. PvP has a completely different skillset anyway, don't see why they can't make it happen eventually.
    Which is exactly why I won't really cry about any of the news we've been given about it. Literally all of it is subject to change. It is an experiment to try to remove them from the shackles of the Smn/Sch debacle. I'm more than willing to take a few lumps while they sort this shit out. People act like they can't simply turn a dial here and there and remove the duty finder restriction after enough time has passed for people to reasonably acquire spells.

Also, people asking why the starting cap is at 50? The answer is pretty obvious.

Its because SE doesn't have a PTR. Its being released ahead of the Xpac so they can get some live field testing and make tweaks and adjustments as they get actual data from tens of thousands of players. Now I'm absolutely in the "these bastards need a goddamn PTR" camp, but I don't know of any Japanese company that has a PTR for any product, and we know that culturally, they're in the goddamn Meiji Era while being in the future, technology-wise. We have to forgive them.

Strider/Doom/Cyclops
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Viper Beam
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by Gokulo View Post
    Talking about Dancer - I wonder if it will have it's own branch of gear. I can't imagine it dancing in all those healer robes, lol
    I imagine DNC will be on the same gear as NIN. NIN currently has no competition on any of their left side drops.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharlan Lynare
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Valefor
    WoW Realm
    Kirin Tor

Make it so that BLUs can't queue for matchmaking or max level duties unless they have a very specific set of duty-oriented spells equipped. This subset of skills is the one the devs would actually balance for party play, all other skills they can do whatever. The duty-oriented skills would still have to be learned in the open world, they wouldn't be learned automatically or anything of the sort.

Now you get to keep the spell learning mechanic and you can obviously fully customize your spellbar for open world content and below-max level duties (like in the current system), but in addition to that, you have the option of being able to play the actual game if you fit yourself into the necessary mold for party play. Best of both worlds.

The arguments they gave at fanfest were honestly some of the worst cop-outs I've seen this company ever come up with. People might get harassed? Just.. don't let them queue unless they have the right skills, similarly to how the game doesn't let you queue without enough levels/ilevel. Spells like level5 Death might be an issue in raids? Bosses are already immune to things like Stun/Slow/etc, just add Death/Stop to the list (which they already did for the Eureka FATE bosses).

People need to stop acting like the only two options were "make BLU keep its traditional mechanic" or "make BLU work in XIV". Both could've worked if the devs weren't such hacks but that'd definitely require more effort than coming up with excuses for a live letter.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

Quote Originally Posted by Dotsudoku View Post
    XI's combat system was enjoyably bonkers and the job you played does not and will not translate to a modern MMO's
    And 'modern' MMOs are dying. The streamlining and dumbing down of classes/class roles was almost universally hated in WoW, they lost a hell of a lot more customers than they gained in the process. Yet that is the model FFXIV copied.

Can you spare some gil?
    BG Level

One pro to blue magic learning is monsters all run on the same script so seeing your spell wont be about tp feed and if the monster will use it, it will be wait 2 minutes until it eventually does and then kill it.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith

Quote Originally Posted by fantasticdan View Post
    And 'modern' MMOs are dying. The streamlining and dumbing down of classes/class roles was almost universally hated in WoW, they lost a hell of a lot more customers than they gained in the process. Yet that is the model FFXIV copied.
    It only works here because it's "Final Fantasy" and people are very quick to bow down to yoshi for everything he does. Except for Eureka, yoshi's fanclub despised the very idea of Eureka. As much as people want to pretend harassment isn't the main reason they went this direction, it's just silly when I can queue into O12S and have garuda knock Omega M/F off the platform for an auto win.

...Oh right.

I can also spam silence and stun as my brd on every all savage/ultimate bosses (not just the adds) so they're definitely right there's no way for them to balance blue mage.

>.>

Seriously, I know XIV players in particular like to try to get by doing the bare fucking minimum, but there's so many systems in place that already prevents you from entering duties if you don't meet requirements. There's also systems in place that you can't go into xyz duties if it isn't unlocked. For example Trial roulette doesn't prevent you (anymore) from queuing if you didn't do side trials, e.g hildebrand ones. It just won't drop you into it.

Blue Mage doesn't have spell? Kick them from the party before you go in or if they're clearly holding you back just like you kick EVERYONE ELSE WHO UNDER PERFORMS/DON'T KNOW WHAT IS GOING ON. People are just too quick to defend yoshi even subtly.

However, with the JP equally "what the fuck are you doing", they have time to change it.

MOST RAD.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Pupuru Puru
    FFXIV Server
    Goblin
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

BLU is kind of shitty with the way they're implementing it but I wasn't really tied to blue mage anyways.

I'm more pissed off at having to move to the new data center.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith

It is shitty - I found it kinda funny though the main RP and 2x backup RP servers were all moved together, so either a coincidence or yoshi did it on purpose.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Satori Komeiji
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

My bet is they knew and realized this and kept the raiding and RP scenes together.

Cactuar, Gilg, and Sarg being together is either insanely lucky or they knew.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Teisha Linne
    FFXIV Server
    Moogle
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

They know

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Quote Originally Posted by Destinye View Post
    Blue Mage doesn't have spell? Kick them from the party before you go in or if they're clearly holding you back just like you kick EVERYONE ELSE WHO UNDER PERFORMS/DON'T KNOW WHAT IS GOING ON. People are just too quick to defend yoshi even subtly.
    Am I the only person who absolutely doesn't buy this excuse? XIV is afraid of everyone being forced to do difficult content, not grinds. This game flourishes on grinds.

The real problem is that they themselves have no idea how to implement what everyone actually wants. We're getting this more palatable pre-excuse because it's timeless; when BLU continues to be excluded from relevant content at all stages, they can repeat the same thing ad infinitum

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Satori Komeiji
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Does anyone know who asked the ERP question at the guest panel?

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Justina Suntail
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Lucavi View Post
    Which is exactly why I won't really cry about any of the news we've been given about it. Literally all of it is subject to change. It is an experiment to try to remove them from the shackles of the Smn/Sch debacle. I'm more than willing to take a few lumps while they sort this shit out. People act like they can't simply turn a dial here and there and remove the duty finder restriction after enough time has passed for people to reasonably acquire spells.

Also, people asking why the starting cap is at 50? The answer is pretty obvious.

Its because SE doesn't have a PTR. Its being released ahead of the Xpac so they can get some live field testing and make tweaks and adjustments as they get actual data from tens of thousands of players. Now I'm absolutely in the "these bastards need a goddamn PTR" camp, but I don't know of any Japanese company that has a PTR for any product, and we know that culturally, they're in the goddamn Meiji Era while being in the future, technology-wise. We have to forgive them.
    PTR is absolute trash entire patches and expansions spoiled. raid fights solved before they are even released. also i dont think thats the reason. they called bluemage a feature not a job. wich means it's not a job it's a collection minigame disguised as a job. you dont release stuff liek doman reconstrcution all at once you space it out. i'm pretty sure blue cap increases will come 5 at a time.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

PTR is necessary for a game like WOW. There's so many systems and class specs to manage and balance. Moreover, when your premier content is more about the mechanical group jumprope than it is about the power of the individual jobs, I imagine you're a lot less prone to error during creation.

That said, were it ever to become a thing, it really wouldn't be difficult to keep everything storywise out of it, nor would you really need to include savage content. It'd be very workable.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

I can enter duties as a class w/o any job abilities right at this moment... I don't get why they can't let BLU's enter instances w/o having any spells lol. Endgame groups are gonna put restrictions on their members/group no matter what, so I honestly can't see why they think their thought process for BLU makes any sense. Also, would it be so hard to make it so BLU's need certain spells learned in order to queue for stuff, just like we need certain progress met/ilvl met? Just make a BLU auto equip w/e spell is "needed" for party play when they go into an instance....

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Satori Komeiji
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Man leveling roulettes can't keep people in ARR gear out of Stormblood.

Impossiblu
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Prothescar Centursa
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Quote Originally Posted by Dotsudoku View Post
    PTR is necessary for a game like WOW. There's so many systems and class specs to manage and balance. Moreover, when your premier content is more about the mechanical group jumprope than it is about the power of the individual jobs, I imagine you're a lot less prone to error during creation.

That said, were it ever to become a thing, it really wouldn't be difficult to keep everything storywise out of it, nor would you really need to include savage content. It'd be very workable.
    just like the XI test server. They'd push job updates and new systems but they would never put story updates or new endgame on it.

Can you spare some gil?
    BG Level

The only thing I can recall FFXI test world being used for was Legion and it never did any good.. I recall the massive failure that took place when Camate held a FFXI test server stream to bolster hype and get people to actually log on and use it.

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Edit: FFXI always tends to pop up in these discussions periodically.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

Just got back from vacation, wanted to share my thoughts about BLU.

Maybe I view it differently since it's not particularly a job I was super hyped about like nearly everyone else, but regardless...

Bad points: "Have to keep it out of DF" excuse is BS of course, it's entirely possible to code it so only BLUs who have unlocked every spell available to them can participate in duty, just like people who haven't met requirements for specific duties get locked out. Whether that is easy or hard to code in their spaghetti system is another story. Plus, players are perfectly capable of playing like shit even with all their abilities handed to them and it's not like votekick doesn't exist.

"Not balanced for parties" is probably also BS and I'm sure there's any number of ways they could have balanced it for parties while keeping the same iconic BLU spells. However, it might be another story if they want the spells to do exactly what they do when the XIV mobs use them with no modifications.

Lv50 cap is rough but we don't know how long they will keep it that way. I'm sure they want to gauge how strong a job like this is, since players have ways of breaking things contrary to expectations and no amount of QA testing can find those methods sometimes. Maybe they are unsure of the coding in the job and want to make sure it all works properly before letting it play in endgame parties. It would have been helpful if they were transparent about the reason for keeping it at 50 cap instead of just letting us use our imaginations, but there are any number of potential legitimate reasons for this.

Good points: Finally the overworld will be used for something other than fetch quests and FATEs no one does. This is a very good point imo and a step in the right direction, even if it will be fairly dead again after the initial rush of BLUs get their spells. I could easily see their implementation of BLU opening the door for other overworld-centric jobs like Beastmaster.

The Coliseum actually does sound pretty interesting, as it is a staple of FF games and we've been lacking one up until now this is a welcome addition. Someone on reddit mentioned that this BLU-specific content could inspire other job-specific content, which would be fantastic.

It would also be nice if BLU acted as a springboard for other more interesting job implementation. Anyway, I think BLU will be all right and I hope they raise BLU's cap in line with other jobs for the release of Shadowbringers at the latest.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast