BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

I'm about at the "anything is possible" opinion. I haven't bought anything like an Alexa because I'm not sure if I want that. I'll have to look into it more.

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

We like ours.

Honestly, while this sort of shit has the potential to get scary, i'm going to continue to use those sorts of products, because if it is true, the sheer scale of the thing gives me a certain degree of anonymity. I'm just another data point in a sea of data points.

i mean, yeah, that's not really a GREAT type of defense because if i DO attract attention i'm hosed, but the alternative is to cut myself off from a lot of things i enjoy using and descending into a life of paranoia-fueled anxiety. so fuck that.

lol, im pretty sure thats the same argument a school of fish uses against predators.

Quote Originally Posted by Psion View Post
    lol, im pretty sure thats the same argument a school of fish uses against predators.
    Which in fairness is a valid survival strategy for the school of fish. Sacrifice some people at the fringes to ensure the school survives as a whole.

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

further, the school of fish has no legislative way to fight back against the predator, while we do. i fully intend to vote according to my interests, but i find the benefits of the measures required for a more active defense do not outweigh the costs.

sometimes the best strategy isn't the fancy one.

Queen of the Pity Party
    BG Level

great, now I have to turn my phone off when I talk to myself

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I can only imagine what ads you'd get after something listens in lol

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    Blog Entries

I most often see ads for things I have just bought, like incredibly obscure concerts.

We're probably not that far off from Futurama's dystopian beaming of ads into our dreams.

I'm almost as bad as Mazmaz
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Kalmado View Post
    it's no ones business what I do every second of the day online
    That's where you're mistaken my friend.

The Fucking Voice of Actually
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cantih Hacos
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

I don't see any ads, because I've had noscript/ublock-origin/https-everywhere/ghostery/do not track, running for years.

Seriously, if you are not using those, start. Now.
    "But my browser doesn't have those/has gimped versions." Get a better browser.
    "But Firefox isn't sexy anymore. I just wanna use the browser Apple/Microsoft/Google tells me to." Well fine, but then you're probably in the wrong thread.

My internet looks like that glorious period before the punch the monkey ads started running, but prettier than the geocities style of that time.
    Shit, now I kinda wanna see a website with those big old chunky frames, lets see if I can find one.

thats a lie. firefox quantum is very sexy.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Deejay Zombie
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by Cantih View Post
    I don't see any ads, because I've had noscript/ublock-origin/https-everywhere/ghostery/do not track, running for years.

Seriously, if you are not using those, start. Now.
    "But my browser doesn't have those/has gimped versions." Get a better browser.
    "But Firefox isn't sexy anymore. I just wanna use the browser Apple/Microsoft/Google tells me to." Well fine, but then you're probably in the wrong thread.

My internet looks like that glorious period before the punch the monkey ads started running, but prettier than the geocities style of that time.
    Shit, now I kinda wanna see a website with those big old chunky frames, lets see if I can find one.
    Samesies, I haven't seen an advertisement online, at least on my desktop pc, in years. Anytime I use a friend's computer I am like fuuuuck this man, let me hook you up with something that is going to make your web browser so much better. *proceeds to block all the ads on the interwebs*

I don't even see ads in youtube videos. Some websites try and shame you into unblocking them. I usually just reload their content and hit stop before the shame popup loads.

I look at it like this, I am already paying a premium for my internet connection, I should have control over what uses my bandwidth.

That and lots of ads are malicious as fuck. Don't ever start playing music or video without the viewers consent, I hate that shit. Or worse, try to install shit via scripts.

Special at 11:30 or w/e

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

It's rare if I ever see ads online anymore. So annoying while at work though because I can't put extensions on chrome so I see ads here. About VPN, Windscribe lifetime is only $30 with a promo code and I don't know enough about VPN stuff to know if I should buy it. The thread on slickdeals.net always turns toxic.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Pretty sure every browser has adblocking so no real excuse even if you on company computers and shit

Special at 11:30 or w/e

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Everything on my pc is locked down. I can't even change what my home page. Chrome extensions page is blocked. If there is a way to block ads without using an extension in chrome, I have no idea how to do it.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    Blog Entries

Might be able to sneak this into your network: https://lifehacker.com/create-a-netw...-pi-1727295925

wow, when i worked as a data entry clerk at a medical record copy service, they had firefox on all their computers with noscript and adblockers. then again, our IT guy was pretty careful about that sort of thing. he even kept an eye on emails and sent an email with examples on what kind of emails not to even click on to open, but immediately let him know about so he could safely check them.

HABS SUCK!!!!!
    Sepukku is my Hero
    Therrien's Cum Dumpster

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Quote Originally Posted by Kalmado View Post
    It's rare if I ever see ads online anymore. So annoying while at work though because I can't put extensions on chrome so I see ads here.
    Have you tried reaching out to your companies IT group and seeing if they could add it?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag