Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Corrderio View Post
    Not a typical celeb, but Billy Graham just died according to CBS
    He was my favorite actor in NothingBut Trouble. Sad to see him go.

Spoiler: show

Member since 2006 and still can't think of a title.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Quote Originally Posted by Marootsoobutsu View Post
    No. He was the one who didn't. The Falwells and Robertsons out there who followed were pretty much always opposed by Graham. His *son's* a tool, and has done a ton in his father's name, when Billy was in dottage and likely not of sound mind in his later years. I mean, he televangelized, but it was about evangelism, not raising money. His son... yeah, Franklin seems all about the money. Graham wasn't poor, but his money came from movies and book sales; and the vast majority of what he brought in went out to the poor.

He was one of the first major white leaders to join the Civil Rights movement, and recognized early on that he should have been not just part of the movement but a leader in it much earlier-- and he called on other Christians to that same repentance and work to undo the harm their apathy and indifference had allowed and encouraged. He was never a prosperity preacher like Osteen.

He distanced himself from Robertson and Falwell. He called for attention to AIDS early on. He distanced himself from sexual sins being somehow uniquely awful, and called on a focus on humanity, and confronting poverty.

He was staunchly anti-communist, but also later recognized his over-zeal and called for unity and healing.

He did belief that things would be better if wives were at home; to the best of my knowledge, though, he never opposed their right not to. In 2012, he was in the headlines because of a full page add calling against same-sex marriage, but given how extraordinarily that meshed with Franklin's preaching and went against his own, most folks who know him suggested that Franklin was doing it in his dad's name, without his dad's knowledge... by the time that happened, Billy Graham had been dealing with Parkinson's for more than 20 years, had been out of the spotlight for 7 years, and was most likely entirely senile.

I've got a lot of problems with Franklin Graham. His message has been divisive, political, judgmental, condemning. He's been paying himself close to a million dollars a year since he took over his dad's charities; Graham lived on 150k/year, including his enormous travel expenses. There's a lot of melding of the two, but Franklin Graham isn't even a shadow of his father's work.
    Yeah he distanced himself so well on homosexuality that he told people that it was warfare on our spirituality and that aids was a punishment from god. Just because he may have softened his tone in his old age doesn’t make him a saint. He was highly homophobic, made incredible light of the aids epidemic and as I said earlier, used religion to enrich himself and his family.

Champion of the House of Weave
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

We almost lost Kevin Smith last night.

https://twitter.com/ThatKevinSmith/s...38297200091136

After the first show this evening, I had a massive heart attack. The Doctor who saved my life told me I had 100% blockage of my LAD artery (aka “the Widow-Maker”). If I hadn’t canceled show 2 to go to the hospital, I would’ve died tonight. But for now, I’m still above ground!

BG Medical's Student of Medicine
    BG Level

He's gonna need a bypass for that one. Poor guy. Silent Bob met the Silent Killer.

i should really shut up
    You can safely ignore me I am a troll

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by kuronosan View Post
    He's gonna need a bypass for that one. Poor guy. Silent Bob met the Silent Killer.
    My love for you is like a coronary bypass- berse~rker.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

The real tragedy is that doctors probably had to cut out his one hockey jersey that fit, and now he has no other shirts.

i should really shut up

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Anoat View Post
    The real tragedy is that doctors probably had to cut out his one hockey jersey that fit, and now he has no other shirts.
    Oilers?

And nothing of value was lost.

Champion of the House of Weave

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

He made a longer post on FB about it: (I added some breaks to make it less of a wall of text)

https://www.facebook.com/YesThatKevi...e=3&permPage=1

I was trying to do a killer standup special this evening but I might’ve gone too far. After the first show, I felt kinda nauseous. I threw up a little but it didn’t seem to help. Then I started sweating buckets and my chest felt heavy. Turns out I had a massive heart attack.

The Doctor who saved my life at the #glendale hospital told me I had 100% blockage of my LAD artery (also known as “the Widow-Maker” because when it goes, you’re a goner). If I hadn’t canceled the second show to go to the hospital, the Doc said I would’ve died tonight. For now, I’m still above ground!

But this is what I learned about myself during this crisis: death was always the thing I was most terrified of in life. When the time came, I never imagined I’d ever be able to die with dignity - I assumed I’d die screaming, like my Dad (who lost his life to a massive heart attack). But even as they cut into my groin to slip a stent into the lethal Widow-Maker, I was filled with a sense of calm. I’ve had a great life: loved by parents who raised me to become the individual I am. I’ve had a weird, wonderful career in all sorts of media, amazing friends, the best wife in the world and an incredible daughter who made me a Dad. But as I stared into the infinite, I realized I was relatively content. Yes, I’d miss life as it moved on without me - and I was bummed we weren’t gonna get to make #jayandsilentbobreboot before I shuffled loose the mortal coil. But generally speaking, I was okay with the end, if this was gonna be it. I’ve gotten to do so many cool things and I’ve had so many adventures - how could I be shitty about finally paying the tab. But the good folks at the Glendale hospital had other plans and the expertise to mend me. Total strangers saved my life tonight (as well as my friends @jordanmonsanto & @iamemilydawn, who called the ambulance).

This is all a part of my mythology now and I’m sure I’ll be facing some lifestyle changes (maybe it’s time to go Vegan). But the point of this post is to tell you that I faced my greatest fear tonight... and it wasn’t as bad as I’ve always imagined it’d be. I don’t want my life to end but if it ends, I can’t complain. It was such a gift. #KevinSmith
    Pretty scary reading how easy it is to not know you've had a heart attack.

i should really shut up

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Tomiko View Post
    He made a longer post on FB about it: (I added some breaks to make it less of a wall of text)

https://www.facebook.com/YesThatKevi...e=3&permPage=1

Pretty scary reading how easy it is to not know you've had a heart attack.
    I'd be glad that in the end when the cards were down, I stayed true. No death bed regrets or panic and praying at the last moment, etc.
    Sure he found some satisfaction in that besides what was said, given his rhetoric and stuff on YouTube.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

TMZ reporting that Rick Ross is hospitalized and on life support.

Shimmy shimmy ya shimmy yam shimmy ya

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Anoat View Post
    TMZ reporting that William Leonard Roberts* is hospitalized and on life support.
    ftfy

The real Freeway Ricky Ross is fine.

Campaign
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Heart Underblade
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    WoW Realm
    Stormrage

RIP Billy Herrington, he died in a car accident

Can you spare some gil?
    BG Level

Man I heard about that this morning at like 9am and I was like haha right whatever, fucking hell .

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Azuremyst

David Ogden Stiers.

Played Dr. Winchester in MASH, also Cogsworth in the original Beauty and the Beast. Really sad

Brown Recluse

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

Quote Originally Posted by SamanosukeShiva View Post
    RIP Billy Herrington, he died in a car accident

I don't know who this was, but the military sure has changed lately.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Alistaire Lexander
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Sir Roger Bannister: First person to run a mile in under four minutes dies at 88

http://www.bbc.com/sport/athletics/43273249

BG Level

Don't worry, they'll bury him in record time.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Ael Finn
    FFXIV Server
    Goblin
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Quote Originally Posted by kuronosan View Post
    Don't worry, they'll bury him in record time.
    thats just terrible.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Aelfinn View Post
    thats just terrible.
    I'm surprised it took someone longer than four minutes to chime in.

Duplicitous Jew with Political Aspirations
    BG Level

The follow up was worth it.

Closed Thread
Page 6 of 53 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 ... LastLast