• Navigation
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Keep watching movies. Don't do stupid things on the internet. Everything on the consumer level is still par the course.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

FOR FUCKS' SAKE !!!
    FOR FUCKS' SAKE !!!
    FUCK FUCK FUCK

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Niya View Post
    Aye, team red for the next build sounds really tempting, just waiting on the Zen+ Ryzens. But... weren't it mostly AMD GPUs that exploded into price heaven thanks to etherium mining?
    Yeah, the Vega GPU's are a head above for crypto mining. Lots of early adopters have been selling their Vega 64's for ~$1200, grabbing a 1080TI and either fanning themselves with the extra cash or upgrading another component. Fuckers.

BG's most likeable Québécois
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level

So anyone not able to 'find' more windows update for W10 1709 after installing the january patches?

my Antivirus is ESET and I do have the

Key="HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE" Subkey="SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ QualityCompat" Value="cadca5fe-87d3-4b96-b7fb-a231484277cc" Type="REG_DWORD”
    Data="0x00000000”

Set up by Eset

But none of my Windows 10 1709 is able to find any updates since that January patch, feels strange

The Real Cookiemonster
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dark Depravity
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Hmm, I haven't checked, but I get a bloody e-mail from MS about new security updates every night, and they don't account for EU time when they send those out

BG's #1 Hatsune Miku fan!
    BG Level

Intel urged customers not to deploy firmware updates aimed at the Spectre and Meltdown flaws because the updates caused system instability; Microsoft reacted with its own release – KB4078130 – on Saturday.
    https://www.computerworld.com/articl...e-defense.html

This whole thing is a total train wreck.

The Real Cookiemonster
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dark Depravity
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

jfc, I'm losing track here ><

Yea, it's getting to the point that the best thing to do is to do nothing.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Any estimates on when a generation of hardware without these problems is going to come out? My old laptop is falling to bits but I'm not really jumping at the chance to willingly buy a new computer that I know is inferior to what it should be and full of security flaws without a major discount to reflect annoyance and severity of this problem.

Can you spare some gil?
    BG Level

The issues will likely be patched before you would ever become a target for something like this. It's not the every day uset that is at risk its the enterprise level that is keeping their eyes glued to this issue. No one is going to go after you for your runescape account or your ffxi account so I would just upgrade and move on if you are being held back severly by your laptop.

The Real Cookiemonster
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dark Depravity
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

I think Intel said that the next gen would have this taken care of before they released it (but believe nothing!)

BG Level

Necrobump but I don't think I should make another thread for this problem. My computer is patched for Meltdown but not Spectre. I have a bit of an older motherboard and the manufacturer released bios updates a long time ago for most of it's newer boards but not mine. The page said keep checking back as they would be adding patches for other boards. I have checked regularly and the page has never changed. It's Gigabyte btw. I figured they just didn't care anymore and I had given up. Then last month I saw this tool:

https://www.grc.com/inspectre.htm

I ran it and it says there is a microcode update available. It's not on their website and I have searched and searched and I can't find it anywhere else. Can anyone help me? This is the board:

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard...UD3H-rev-12#ov

2600klub

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Yet more intel security issues that will require updates:

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/0...al_fault_bugs/

2600klub

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Want to run benchmarks on the new intel microcode updates ?

Sorry.

Intel Gags Customers from Publishing Performance Impact of Microcode Updates

Much of the secret sauce that made Intel processors faster than AMD is going sour, as the cybersecurity community is finding gaping security vulnerabilities by exploiting features such as speculative execution. Intel's microcode updates that mitigate these vulnerabilities impact performance. Intel isn't too happy about public performance numbers put out by its customers, which it fears could blunt the competitive edge of its products. The company has hence updated the license terms governing the microcode update distribution to explicitly forbid its users from publishing comparative "before/after" performance numbers of patched processors.

The updated license for the microcode update has this controversial sentence (pay attention to "v"):
    "You will not, and will not allow any third party to (i) use, copy, distribute, sell or offer to sell the Software or associated documentation; (ii) modify, adapt, enhance, disassemble, decompile, reverse engineer, change or create derivative works from the Software except and only to the extent as specifically required by mandatory applicable laws or any applicable third party license terms accompanying the Software; (iii) use or make the Software available for the use or benefit of third parties; or (iv) use the Software on Your products other than those that include the Intel hardware product(s), platform(s), or software identified in the Software; or (v) publish or provide any Software benchmark or comparison test results."

It's all dicks and airplanes
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cia Mir
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung

lol you've got to be fucking kidding me

Why do they seem hellbent on losing their competitive edge? I will never not benchmark my computer when something like that comes down the pipe. They can fuck off. If I didn't bench I would've never known how absolute shit those updates are for me. They're asking for their users to lay down and accept failure. And be quiet while doing it.

Information is everything and trying to take that away..it's time to stop.

Special at 11:30 or w/e

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Just another reason I'm happy to support AMD and Ryzen. Wish AMD could figure out the GPU side of things so they could get competitive.

BG Level

Incredible. And I just figured out how to patch my motherboard recently too. For updates on boards not listed on their website you had to contact support on Gigabyte's site and wait for them to send you the new BIOS. I am seriously considering AMD for my next build now.

The last patch for my esxi servers forced me to update my VMware vpshere..... then to change the settings I have to use the webUI...... there is a reason i haven't gone to 6.X you fuckers, you will pull the client app from my cold dead hands.

The Real Cookiemonster
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dark Depravity
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Quote Originally Posted by Yabby View Post
    The last patch for my esxi servers forced me to update my VMware vpshere..... then to change the settings I have to use the webUI...... there is a reason i haven't gone to 6.X you fuckers, you will pull the client app from my cold dead hands.

I know precisely what you mean, you do get used to the HTML5 client eventually though, the later incarnations are much improved.

2600klub

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

LOL.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/di...ity,37690.html

Following the reveal of the Foreshadow (L1TF) Intel CPU flaw, as well as the previous TLBleed flaw, Theo de Raadt, founder of OpenBSD, which makes a free, multi-platform, UNIX-like operating system, recommended everyone completely disable Intel’s Hyper-Threading in BIOS before hackers start taking advantage of it.

Hyper-Threading Is Unsafe
    In a post this week, de Raadt said that the Foreshadow and TLBleed flaws have made it mandatory to disable the Hyper-Threading technology on all Intel-based machines. He claimed mitigating these flaws requires a new CPU microcode and coding workarounds, but these alone are not sufficient to stop attackers; Hyper-Threading also has to be disabled.

Ahahahahahahahahahaha.

It's all dicks and airplanes
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cia Mir
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung

Just turn your i7s into i5s guys it's fine it's fine!