Page 1 of 63 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast
    D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Shanoa Varhara
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Evo 2018 - It's called a Ki Blast

Co-op Cup to start off the year and Evo Japan.

https://www.twitch.tv/ANIMEILLUMINATI

Evo Japan on Jan. 26-28

https://evo-japan.net/2018/en/

Ze NinjaSYXX
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Nitsuki Syxx
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Turned the stream on just now, to see a Remy player body people. Never thought i'd see a Remy ever.

HOLY shit a Remy just OCV'd Ohnuki's team!

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Minerva Kissaki
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

remy ocv... wat

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Shanoa Varhara
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

I really love the format of Coop Cup and wish more tournaments like it were around. It helps that 3S is just fun to watch.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Shanoa Varhara
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Pierrot's Remy is fucking amazing holy shit.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Shanoa Varhara
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Looks like SRK forums are shutting down at the end of the month. Shitposting will now be more dispersed.

http://shoryuken.com/2018/01/08/srk-...-january-2018/

Kinda sucks since their tech section was really good.

Mr. Bananagrabber
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Damn, SFV and MvCI even killed SRK

Strider/Doom/Cyclops
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Viper Beam
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

More like Discord, Twitter, reddit, etc. Just like SRK forums killed a.g.sf2, the internet moves on.

Really sucks to see Tech Talk go away, though.

RIP

Centralized repositories of information are useful and seeing one dismantled worries me. If you don't retain the info for safekeeping it will simply vanish once the game stops being sufficiently popular, lost to time. Social media is a poor substitute.

Strider/Doom/Cyclops
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Viper Beam
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Tom Cannon said that the forums will be archived in some way, and that it's not a matter of "how" not "if."

Shimmy shimmy ya shimmy yam shimmy ya

BG Level

Those forums seemed dead for years imo.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

Even if social media has bitten a chunk out of the traffic, many other communities are still going strong on traditional forums; dota, smash, card games, pretty much everything blizzard, etc. I don't think SRK would be shutting down if SF5/MVCI weren't flops. They were always capcom focused (and I'm pretty sure sponsored for a long time), and if capcom fighters are dead what purpose do they serve? I mean the only thing I could have seen them trying to do is becoming the hub for DBFZ, because pretty much every established franchise is centralized somewhere else and not discussed beyond the surface level (tekken, anime, etc).

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Dan View Post
    Tom Cannon said that the forums will be archived in some way, and that it's not a matter of "how" not "if."
    Yeah, all those archived 3s/mvc2 drama posts and SF4 matchup threads will be really useful in the future.

Spoiler: show
    I'm pretty sure he was talking about new information going forward.

Shimmy shimmy ya shimmy yam shimmy ya

BG Level

Edit: nvm.

Strider/Doom/Cyclops
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Viper Beam
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by fantasticdan View Post
    Even if social media has bitten a chunk out of the traffic, many other communities are still going strong on traditional forums; dota, smash, card games, pretty much everything blizzard, etc. I don't think SRK would be shutting down if SF5/MVCI weren't flops.
    Setting aside MVCI for the moment: it doesn't make sense to point at failed fighting game SF5 as the reason why SRK forums are shutting down today, when SF5's sales, tournament entrants, and viewers are all much higher than any game during the dark ages when SRK's forums were thriving. Web forums (like, ahem, the one we are on right now) are dying all across the internet. The combination of social media and article comment systems have murdered them. Even SRK said that most of their discussion traffic is in Disqus comments.

They were always capcom focused (and I'm pretty sure sponsored for a long time), and if capcom fighters are dead what purpose do they serve? I mean the only thing I could have seen them trying to do is becoming the hub for DBFZ, because pretty much every established franchise is centralized somewhere else and not discussed beyond the surface level (tekken, anime, etc).
    Dustloop is dead as hell and DBFZ isn't going to miraculously resurrect it. Tekken Zaibatsu is also barren. Thriving fighting game forums don't exist.

Yeah, all those archived 3s/mvc2 drama posts and SF4 matchup threads will be really useful in the future.

I'm pretty sure he was talking about new information going forward.
    First, a lot of the long-term "useful information" on SRK is mostly in the tech talk section: stick builds, input lag testing, etc. There is also a lot of technical information on games... stuff like frame data on older games, or peculiarities of the engine in stuff like SFA3. But more to the point, you're wrong: one of the comments was directly, "I beg of you, for the sake of information; DISABLE the forum, don't delete it. Make it read-only so that people will still be able to find the wealth of information on the forum!" to which inkblot responded, "We're investigating the right way to provide an archive. This is a 'how' not an 'if' conversation."

I'm not sure what you even mean with that "new information going forward" bit. The front page posts? The Disqus comments? That stuff has significantly less informational value than even the forum posts.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

Setting aside MVCI for the moment: it doesn't make sense to point at failed fighting game SF5 as the reason why SRK forums are shutting down today, when SF5's sales, tournament entrants, and viewers are all much higher than any game during the dark ages when SRK's forums were thriving.
    Yeah, and hardly anyone who bought the game is still playing it because it fucking blows. Most of the tournament steam the game still has had is just the $$$ prizes, allure of known players duking it out, and the lack of any competition for street fighter style gameplay. There is very little grassroots support for the game at the moment, and people don't care enough about the gameplay to discuss the intricacies of it the way they did with past titles. The spark is not there.

Dustloop is dead as hell and DBFZ isn't going to miraculously resurrect it. Tekken Zaibatsu is also barren. Thriving fighting game forums don't exist.
    Dustloop has been dead long before reddit/discord took over, the vitriolic blazblue community killed that site if anything. I haven't been on TZ since fucking T5 era, so I don't know about that one. "smash isn't a fighting game blah blah', but smashboards is still very active. TYM is still pretty active for NRS stuff.

I'm not sure what you even mean with that "new information going forward" bit. The front page posts? The Disqus comments? That stuff has significantly less informational value than even the forum posts.
    First, a lot of the long-term "new information" on SRK is mostly in the tech talk section: stick builds, input lag testing, etc. There is also a lot of technical information on games... stuff like frame data on new games, or peculiarities of the engine in new games.

For real thou, social media platforms like reddit and discord are overall super shitty for having in-depth discussions about games at a competitive level. Both for having long lasting, on-going discussions, as well as cataloging information.

I mean your best bet is to join many different, relatively exclusive discords (to get past the casual riffraff and shitposting) for a single game; local competitive scene, character specific, big tournament discussion, etc. but that is unwieldy as fuck compared to a centralized forum. It's also terrible for attracting new blood, and leads to so much discussion and information not being publicly available.

Strider/Doom/Cyclops
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Viper Beam
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

We aren't going to get anywhere with the "SF5 is a failed game" stuff so there isn't much to discuss on that end. SF5 has had the most entrants of any fighting game at every tournament in its 2-year existence and it's never even close. SF5 has successful showings on ESPN for two years straight and will likely get a third. If SF5 is a failed, dead game then by comparison, the FGC has ceased to exist. I don't know how long this "SF5 is just about to die and is only being held up by pot prizes!" meme is going to last, but it seems to be immortal.

First, a lot of the long-term "new information" on SRK is mostly in the tech talk section: stick builds, input lag testing, etc. There is also a lot of technical information on games... stuff like frame data on new games, or peculiarities of the engine in new games.
    What are you talking about? There will be no Tech Talk section of the forums going forward because the forums are being shut down. That's precisely why the idea of preserving "new information going forward" doesn't make any sense.

For real thou, social media platforms like reddit and discord are overall super shitty for having in-depth discussions about games at a competitive level. Both for having long lasting, on-going discussions, as well as cataloging information.

I mean your best bet is to join many different, relatively exclusive discords (to get past the casual riffraff and shitposting) for a single game; local competitive scene, character specific, big tournament discussion, etc. but that is unwieldy as fuck compared to a centralized forum. It's also terrible for attracting new blood, and leads to so much discussion and information not being publicly available.
    I can't tell if you are agreeing with my rationale for archiving the forums, or making a multi-layered sarcastic response. In any case, I agree with everything in this quote.

Been Here Longer Than you
    BG Level

Yeah, and hardly anyone who bought the game is still playing it because it fucking blows. Most of the tournament steam the game still has had is just the $$$ prizes, allure of known players duking it out, and the lack of any competition for street fighter style gameplay. There is very little grassroots support for the game at the moment, and people don't care enough about the gameplay to discuss the intricacies of it the way they did with past titles. The spark is not there.
    God damn, WHAT A POST!

Early Combo Breaker registration numbers are out. Marvel isn't even on the top 8 list...LOL.

At first, I kind of didn't think Marvel Infinite would even make EVO, but was half-joking, figuring it would get in from some 20k Capcom pot bonus or similar nonsense. Now, I fully believe EVO is dropping it, unless Capcom steps in at the last second and puts money in Cannon's/McRib's pocket.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

just checking in to cosign on this one

Yeah, and hardly anyone who bought the game is still playing it because it fucking blows.

(ftr, that last session was for about 15 minutes after dropping the game in february, just to try out guile/trial mode during that window when the game was so utterly broken/unfinished they couldn't justify charging for the first wave of extra characters)

Been Here Longer Than you
    BG Level

There is no money behind MVCI because the game is shit and it died in record time.

There is a lot of money behind SFV, even though the game is shit, and it is alive. It is a pile of shit and would be just as dead as MVCI, if not for the Pro Tour. Season 3 has done next to nothing to address the game's problems; I'll jam it for 1-2 days and then forget about it until DBFZ.

Strider/Doom/Cyclops
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Viper Beam
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

So it looks like the SRK Forums are going to stay alive, but migrate to a different forum platform, Discourse.

From the announcement:

Update! Based on the feedback from the community, we’ve taken a hard, long look at ways to preserve as much of the forums as we can. Thanks to all your thoughts and suggestions, we have a plan that I think is workable, which is to keep the forums up, fully operational, and migrate to Discourse.

Not only will this significantly reduce our costs, but we’ll be able to add some cool new stuff like:

– Infinite scrolling instead of page indicators

– NO ADS

– Perks for users who support the site through Patreon

We’re working now with the team Discourse on a transition plan. The goal is to migrate over with little to no downtime.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 63 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast