FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

I'd say he's making a fine point: Stop treating your major titles like mobile trash games and maybe they'll sustain some traction.

The game looks like a mobile game. I can't defend that, even if Capcom does throw me a bone by including X and Sigma. Its looked that way from the first trailer all the way to launch.

Strider/Doom/Cyclops
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Viper Beam
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

IJ2 and BB have even less traction at tournaments than MVCI. If SRK wanted to say that the cutoff is at TK7, fine; that's a rational and logically consistent point. But to exclude MVCI for games that have even fewer tournament entrants is... not.

The way UMVC3 was treated last year - when Marvel fans were required to donate tens of thousands of dollars to charity to get the game in, while tumbleweed games like BB and KOF were kindly welcomed to the main stage - should have been the writing on the wall. Looks like Wizard has wanted to get rid of Marvel for a while, and he's taking this opportunity to do so.

Been Here Longer Than you
    BG Level

Hahahahahahahaha god damn. MVCI was never alive to begin with. HahahahhHAhAhahAHHAhAHAhah.

McRib just basically told them, "I dont care what the hell the title of your game is, if its a piece of shit, it's OUT."

OUT, CYA. RIP. John D literally hiding his face for the next decade.

Edit: Best Reddit post I've seen so far:

* Did you ever hear the tragedy of Marvel vs. Capcom, the Infinite?
    -I thought not, it's not a story the Capcucks would tell you.
    --It's an EVO legend.

Ze NinjaSYXX
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Nitsuki Syxx
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Dan View Post
    IJ2 and BB have even less traction at tournaments than MVCI. If SRK wanted to say that the cutoff is at TK7, fine; that's a rational and logically consistent point. But to exclude MVCI for games that have even fewer tournament entrants is... not.

The way UMVC3 was treated last year - when Marvel fans were required to donate tens of thousands of dollars to charity to get the game in, while tumbleweed games like BB and KOF were kindly welcomed to the main stage - should have been the writing on the wall. Looks like Wizard has wanted to get rid of Marvel for a while, and he's taking this opportunity to do so.
    Lol we get it, you hate anime.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Shanoa Varhara
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Dead game with more entrants than BB, GG, Injustice 2, and not too far behind Tekken at Winter Brawl. Ok.

BG Level

I literally took more shits than MVCI had people playing it 2 nights ago on Steam.

Hint: I took 1 shit that night.

BG Level

Yo, wasn't there like 3-4 West Coast players who literally announced they quit their jobs to be full-time "MVCI pros"? Are we sure they have food? Should we send rations?

DBFZ lookin' to take over the entire scene. I'm pretty ok with that.

Strider/Doom/Cyclops
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Viper Beam
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by Nitsuki View Post
    Lol we get it, you hate anime.
    Neither IJ2 nor KOF are anime games, but OK.

edit: BB and GG have less entrants at Winter Brawl than Windjammers, but MVCI is the dead game while BB and GG are on the Evo main stage. Sounds legit.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Shanoa Varhara
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

BB and GG will end up picking up a lot of international entrants to pad their numbers whereas MvCI wouldn't so it'd have to depend on domestic entrants.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

Yeah those international players that make up the majority of finals for every FG at evo besides marvel are 'padding' lmao.

Strider/Doom/Cyclops
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Viper Beam
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Seems immediately relevant to point out that Injustice 2 somehow made it in. Guess that met the quota of Americans in finals for this year!

But if we really want to talk about padding, BB had the second-least number of entries last year (less than donation-drive UMVC3), and yet somehow BBCTB gets a guaranteed Evo spot declared before it's even out, with less than 2 months between its release and Evo.

Giving one of the lowest-entry series a guaranteed spot for a game that isn't being released for months is the overt tipping of the hand. Wiz expanded Evo from the expected 7 games to 8 and included BBCTB just to make it extra clear to the Marvel players that he is intentionally giving them the finger. Last year was not a mistake or a misunderstanding; Wiz doesn't think Marvel belongs at Evo, period.

Cake Mix
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cakey Yama
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

It's super easy to look at a tourney like Winter Brawl and go "Well MvC: I has more entrants than such and such" and then you check the Top 8 games so far at Combofiend in terms of entrants, and Marvel's no where to be seen.

:thinking:

Cherry picking numbers, etc. Steam isn't the end-all be all of how many folks are playing, but it's a damn good guess in terms of popularity, and when a game can't break double digits or beat out Melty Blood or whatever.. then uh, welp.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Shanoa Varhara
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by Akiyama View Post
    It's super easy to look at a tourney like Winter Brawl and go "Well MvC: I has more entrants than such and such" and then you check the Top 8 games so far at Combofiend in terms of entrants, and Marvel's no where to be seen.

:thinking:

Cherry picking numbers, etc. Steam isn't the end-all be all of how many folks are playing, but it's a damn good guess in terms of popularity, and when a game can't break double digits or beat out Melty Blood or whatever.. then uh, welp.
    Regardless if you want to include Winter Brawl numbers or not (I don't see why not since as a current tournament, it'll show a slice of the current health of the competitive scene), MvCI still was top 3-4 in entrants at almost every other tournament since release. MrWiz's excuse for not including Marvel is horseshit, plain and simple.

Also according to CB's TO, it has more entrants this year than UMvC3 had last year.

Ze NinjaSYXX
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Nitsuki Syxx
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

The only thing i can consider injustice being in the mix is because it’s the only game NRS currently has, and probably wants to give the dev a chance? Or bribery lol

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

A few thoughts; first I don't know who was good at MVCI, but everyone I know from MVC3 is investing their time in DBFZ right now. Unless something goes catastrophically wrong in that game, there is going to be less time spent labbing MVCI, and even less entrants to tournaments than before.

Second, mrwizard was pissed at capcom when it leaked they were using the evo brand/footage to try and sell investors on MVCI esports behind closed doors without his knowledge or permission. It's not surprising he would choose not to give them a free pass with their dead game over others.

For injustice, idk what there entrants are like nowadays, but NRS players are a whole different group of people that show up to evo (unlike marvel dudes who are playing sf5 and dbz), and NRS afaik has put a lot of money into evo in recent years, and probably still is in 2018.

Going by twitch numbers, nobody actually watches MVCI content. At least with BBTCB, there may be interest just because it's new.

Mr. Bananagrabber
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Do any of the people who are defending MvC I even play the game (or even own it)?

The Defense is ready, Your Honor
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Dan View Post
    And yet, that's the point he's making. Stop worrying so much about the action and worry more about what happens because of the action. Capcom needs to put in the same love that they did for RE7 and MH on their fighting games. Wiz may be absolutely getting back at Capcom, but that's his decision to make.

I loved MVC3, but I know that I personally won't miss this new one at EVO. There'd be more memes about it than hype because of it anyway.

BG Level

MVCI had no hype what-so-ever. It looks like shit and views like shit. Almost no one wants to play it and even less people want to watch others play it.

Strider/Doom/Cyclops
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Viper Beam
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by Krandor View Post
    Do any of the people who are defending MvC I even play the game (or even own it)?
    A person who says that he literally does not care at all how well MVCI may play while declaring it a failure is in no position to pass judgment on why other people defend it. Other people may defend it because they think the actual gameplay is good, which you literally do not care at all about.

Quote Originally Posted by fantasticdan View Post
    Going by twitch numbers, nobody actually watches MVCI content. At least with BBTCB, there may be interest just because it's new.
    Why would you use casual Twitch streaming numbers instead of tournament entrants, or tournament views?

Like I said, if you want to eliminate every game that has worse tournament performance than MVCI, fine. At least that's an ethos. But then GG, IJ2, and especially an unreleased game in the worst-performing Evo series (BB) should not be on the stage.

BBCTB is the transparent slap in the face. It's Wiz saying that he doesn't care about rationale, he just wants to screw Marvel.

Closed Thread
Page 6 of 63 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 56 ... LastLast