+ Reply to Thread
Page 42 of 79 FirstFirst ... 32 40 41 42 43 44 52 ... LastLast
    Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I watched I Care a Lot, the new Netflix film with Rosamund Pike and Peter Dinklage. Excellent for the first 75%, then goes belly up.

I have never hated a protagonist more, which is a compliment. Also, I hate the title.

If you like Peter Dinklage, or (like me) still have a crush on Rosamund Pike from when she played Miranda Frost in Die Another Day, it's worth a watch. Just remember it's going to let you down hard in the final act.

Also worth noting, in the last 48 hours I watched Border, a Swedish language film where I spent 90% of the movie wondering where it was going and never figured it out. I watched it more or less blind because Aubrey Plaza loved it and raved about it on some interview on Conan. Also, I watched the HBO Max documentary There is no I in Threesome, the very identity of which is worth discussing in and of itself.

King Bitcher of Bitchington
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Chuggs M'koul
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar

Quote Originally Posted by Byrd View Post
    I watched I Care a Lot, the new Netflix film with Rosamund Pike and Peter Dinklage. Excellent for the first 75%, then goes belly up.

I have never hated a protagonist more, which is a compliment. Also, I hate the title.

If you like Peter Dinklage, or (like me) still have a crush on Rosamund Pike from when she played Miranda Frost in Die Another Day, it's worth a watch. Just remember it's going to let you down hard in the final act.

Also worth noting, in the last 48 hours I watched Border, a Swedish language film where I spent 90% of the movie wondering where it was going and never figured it out. I watched it more or less blind because Aubrey Plaza loved it and raved about it on some interview on Conan. Also, I watched the HBO Max documentary There is no I in Threesome, the very identity of which is worth discussing in and of itself.
    Watched I Care A Lot as well and I agree. Was loving the hell out of it but it definitely lost me.
    Spoiler: show
    Once she was able to kidnap dinklage I rolled my eyes and started skipping past all the shit cuz it was so frustrating. I wanted to see an old resourceful woman take down some crock of cunts operation

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Koul View Post
    Once she was able to kidnap dinklage I rolled my eyes and started skipping past all the shit cuz it was so frustrating. I wanted to see an old resourceful woman take down some crock of cunts operation
    Once both mob hits failed due to a variety of unlikely reasons, the movie went completely off the rails. And you're right - I definitely wanted some more Dianne Wiest. She was great in her limited role, but I really expected her to be more in the endgame. The movie would have been better if she had been the one to pull the trigger on killing Marla.

Limecat
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    Blog Entries

Wife never saw Vantage Point so I got the joy of showing her that movie for the first time. She absolutely loved it. She was never a movie person til she got sick and we both basically became bedridden.

Now I'm trying to think of another movie she might like. She hates those typical RomComs that follow a few steps and bam, spluge city.(She loathes fifty shades of Grey and crap of that nature), she really isn't a big fan of the weaker Pixar movies, too.

Conejita's Jolly
    Chaparrita's Dulce
    Trigger warning: Fuck your feelings.

BG Level

Took me like two weeks but finally finished Justice League and thought was a good time. Def. looking for the next one, if there is one. Also saw GvK with the buddies and it was unironically hilarious. Could've used more little girl + Kong dynamic and shoulda ditched the podcast side quest. I like schlock as much as the next guy, but don't waste time with this shit. If you tube the fights you'll satisfy the reptilian/ape part of your brain w/o wasting an hour of your life.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I just watched the 2019 film, The Lodge. I thought it was phenomenal, but the average IMDB score (which I typically am in line with) was only a 6.1. Anyone else seen this film? What did you think?

GATTACA!
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

I just watched the 2019 film, The Lodge. I thought it was phenomenal, but the average IMDB score (which I typically am in line with) was only a 6.1. Anyone else seen this film? What did you think?
    I really enjoyed it. One of the better horror/thrillers I've seen in a while

the opening act with the suicide were so well done. Felt realistic in a disturbing way and surprising. I rewatched that entire scene after finishing the first time because it was so well done and set up

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

This is a good movie. There’s also another horror movie filmed in the same house but in the summer or spring time. I think it’s called The Retreat. But I can’t remember. It’s also worth the watch.

Been Here Longer Than you
    BG Level

Saw the Demon Slayer movie in IMAX. The first hour was dreadfully bad, but the last hour was hype as fuck.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I watched two movies yesterday, the first of which was Stowaway, the new Anna Kendrick-as-an-astronaut film on Netflix. Excellent first two thirds, then it hit a proverbial iceberg and sank.

Apparently the basic concept of the film was first explored in a 1954 Tom Godwin short story called The Cold Equations, which was adapted into this Twilight Zone episode and also this Dust short.

Non-specific spoilers about Stowaway:
    Is it just me, or does every movie featuring astronauts have some sort of contrived issue at the end that means a crew has to perform some crazy spacewalk in order to save themselves and/or the planet? Or the issue isn't contrived but the complicating factors are, as in this case?

Specific spoilers about Stowaway:
    The radiation ionization storm just was the height of deus ex machina. We knew something was going to go wrong, but as soon as the alarm went off, I was like "Here it comes" and rolled my eyes. I'm OK with someone sacrificing themselves for the team, but that just felt so contrived after they had spent the entire film building up the oyxgen issue, which I thought was a logical complication of having a fourth person aboard. If it were up to me, I would have just eliminated the CO2 scrubber problem entirely - spaceships should have multiple backup systems for *everything,* particularly something so critical. Simply having four humans on board instead of three could have been enough to throw off the balance, as an extra passenger isn't a contingency that a ground team is necessarily going to prepare for.

Also, how did Michael get stuck behind a bolted on panel? Who bolted it on behind him? The most logical way was for him to install it himself, and have him sneak aboard because he wanted to go to space, but that's clearly not what happened. But it doesn't make sense any other way. That was something I expected the film to address in the final act in some revelation that would have made for a better climax than the one we got. But it didn't.

Anyway, great premise, good first two thirds, excellent acting (particularly by Shamier Anderson, which is notable because he was the one actor I *didn't* know beforehand), but the movie fell apart in the final act with certain problems set up earlier not paying off with deus ex machina taking over as the impetus for the final decision.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Weltall View Post
    Saw the Demon Slayer movie in IMAX. The first hour was dreadfully bad, but the last hour was hype as fuck.
    Went and saw it in theaters as well. Loved it. The ending is worth the price of admission for sure. Insanity. First hour isn’t that bad imo. I hope they make another movie or two. Given the rest of the story I think there’s a good possibility we get another one.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Saw The Mitchells vs. the Machines on Netflix yesterday, it was charmingly delightful. Wasn't expecting it, watched it on a recommendation but otherwise went in blind. Same people who did Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse.

Shimmy shimmy ya shimmy yam shimmy ya

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Mythe_Seraph View Post
    Went and saw it in theaters as well. Loved it. The ending is worth the price of admission for sure. Insanity. First hour isn’t that bad imo. I hope they make another movie or two. Given the rest of the story I think there’s a good possibility we get another one.
    I can see them making a movie for the swordsmith village arc. The way it’s structured would work almost exactly like the mugen train arc for a film.

Campaign
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

So not a movie, but am I the only one watching Motherland: Fort Salem on Hulu? It's pretty damn good.

Shimmy shimmy ya shimmy yam shimmy ya

BG Level

Nobody with Bob Odenkirk was a lot of fun.

I'm almost as bad as Mazmaz

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Xno Kappa View Post
    Nobody with Bob Odenkirk was a lot of fun.
    the equalizer (movie) meets john wick meets better call saul

I'm almost as bad as Mazmaz

BG Level

ive never seen an action sequence where literally every punch lands on the protagonist, and he wins, until that movie lol

Cardiac Cat
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Airlea Ocelot
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Aegwynn

The Devil All the Time was pretty darn good

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Watched two new Netflix movies over the week.

Army of the Dead was stupid but fun. If you enjoy zombie movies, and you can turn your brain off, it was a good time.

The Woman in the Window was stupid but not fun. Hell of a cast, but the film did not work for me. If Copycat and Rear Window had a baby, but the baby was missing a chromosome or two. I watched it once I saw the cast list; you would think a film featuring Amy Adams, Gary Oldman, Julianne Moore, Jennifer Jason Leigh, Anthony Mackie and the USAgent would make a good film. And while the acting was top notch, and the cinematography was striking, the rest of the movie failed. Apparently having multiple Captain Americas in the same film is not necessarily a sign of quality; maybe they could have gotten Chris Evans is for a cameo and that would have fixed it.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

I was so excited for woman in the window because I feel like there has been a very slow drip of good horror lately. The movie absolutely fell flat on its face. Not good. 4/10 at best. The elements that were good from that movie, other movies had already done better (lots of shudder island vibes).

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag