Closed Thread
Page 1 of 152 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Actual YouTube/Twitch drama thread

Piggybacking off the Logan Paul shenanigans and assorted comments appearing in other threads, I figured an actual discussion thread on YT/Twitch drama might be useful.

So I'm gonna start off with this thing that popped up over the weekend.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/PS4/comment...tole_my_video/

Guy on reddit claims that Gameranx, a huge YouTube gaming channel stole his video about God of War without crediting him. It blew up over the weekend and one of the dudes at Gameranx replied with a really insincere and condescending denial. A couple hours later it was brought up that the original video used a very specific transition that is not present in the actual game, which the Gameranx video also used. Pressed with this evidence and growing negative response, Gameranx dude came back on and admitted "our mistake" and gave another half-hearted apology, in which they couldn't even get the correct name of the source video.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Satori Komeiji
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

So how long until ADGQ shit pops up here.

Ninja Ninja
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Noemi Rondain
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

I give it about 12 hours into the stream.

Special at 11:30 or w/e

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

So is YT/Twitch people bitching about not getting credit actual "wheres muh interwebz street cred yo?" or is it actually detrimental to something else like earning potential from clicks/views?

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

It's a creator thing. If you create something and someone else steals it without even referencing you, who created it, it feels awful. I didn't understand what the big deal was either until I started doing translations for jpop songs and a large subbing group used my translations without crediting me. It's like, I did the work, but they get the credit? Shit's whack, yo. I wouldn't have minded if they had just stuck my name somewhere, even if they hadn't asked me to use it (which also often happened). It's hard to explain exactly why this is so bothersome since it's not like I'm looking for people to worship me for translating some songs or "discover" me as a talent or anything, it just feels really slimy and dirty somehow.

The only Youtube drama I ever noticed was the Logan Paul thing because most of the channels I sub to are people who live in Japan/anime people who found him a disgusting sack of shit for what he did, and also the Youtube algorithm demonetizing everyone's videos randomly so they can't make enough money to live off it anymore so everyone made Patreons. At this point I'm just waiting for the "new Youtube" that everyone jumps ship for as Youtube continues to degrade as a service, so the cycle begins anew.

Special at 11:30 or w/e

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

I'm not familiar with the Logan Paul thing so I'll check it out later. No doubt it's shitty to have your work stolen regardless if it's for money or not. I get that. Some people go bat shit over it. When WWE 2k15 came out for PC (first PC game in a LONG time) many modders went to work. I thought, cool I can get mods. These people spew pure venom and act like their work is that of God and if it's not acknowledged they will literally attempt to blackball you from the wrestling modding community. I just found that crazy.

For Youtube, couldn't a content creator just copyright their videos? Or they cannot because in a case like video game scenes they are using others content? I really don't know anything about this kind of stuff. I'm just curious.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

You did work, you should profit. If part of the expectation, in your example, is your translation being free use after the fact then fine, say that upfront and charge accordingly. But if it's not, it should be kept as your own property and if someone uses your property/work they should be paying you for it.

This line gets blurred when it's something easily done, even if it takes skill to do it (like translating). The video in question is kinda eh, until you see they can prove the plagiarism with that transition effect. Now they're definitely stealing property and should pay up or do the work themselves.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by Kalmado View Post
    I'm not familiar with the Logan Paul thing so I'll check it out later. No doubt it's shitty to have your work stolen regardless if it's for money or not. I get that. Some people go bat shit over it. When WWE 2k15 came out for PC (first PC game in a LONG time) many modders went to work. I thought, cool I can get mods. These people spew pure venom and act like their work is that of God and if it's not acknowledged they will literally attempt to blackball you from the wrestling modding community. I just found that crazy.

For Youtube, couldn't a content creator just copyright their videos? Or they cannot because in a case like video game scenes they are using others content? I really don't know anything about this kind of stuff. I'm just curious.
    YouTube bends over backwards to let their hugely popular channels skirt the rules, while if the situation were reversed and smaller channel blatantly steals work from larger channel they would get instantly flagged. And yes, Gameranx was set the make money off his work in their monetized video.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Fiye View Post
    So how long until ADGQ shit pops up here.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

Can you explain why no one showed up the next year?

a p. sweet dude
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level

Because those screenshots are from different time periods (8PM versus 11:30PM) and different games attract different numbers.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Salodin View Post
    Can you explain why no one showed up the next year?

I blame Trump.

Honestly not too well read up but wasn't there a bunch of drama last year?

Weaboo of the House of Weave
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Arthur Pendragon
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

AGDQ makes more money every year while conversely having less attendees and far more drama.

This sounds strange, but it actually makes perfect sense. It isn't LOSING viewers because people enjoy the cause and like the games, but it is GAINING viewers that are only watching it because of the drama and cringy nature of the streams. Some of those people donate.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Satori Komeiji
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by dasva View Post
    I blame Trump.

Honestly not too well read up but wasn't there a bunch of drama last year?
    Big low point last year was people spamming a guy crossdressing emote (DanSexy) whenever a transgendered person came on. Emote got banned, people got pissed and found another emote that did the same thing.

You can rehost on twitch though. Sometime tried doing it with AGDQ but it got overrun with shitheads and the channel got banned for hatespeech lol. I think Trihex's rehost is still going.

You can easily cherrypick screenshots of an empty crowd from every GDQ event. All boils down to what time it is and what game is being run at the time. That said, AGDQ is a complete shit rodeo this year. From all sorts of community issues such as hiding the crowd camera (has been said that they're bringing it back at a future event due to negative feedback), and enabling sub-mode on the stream, to actual technical issues such as several stream crashes the first day, and audio issues, to the donation tracker being vulnerable to XSS attacks (Their response? 30 character limit on the name entry field.). Don't even get me started on the UNMODDED hosting streams that existed for the sole purpose of chatting without subscribing to GDQ.

Cake Mix

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cakey Yama
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

Quote Originally Posted by dasva View Post
    So.. what's funny, the left is a super hype, ridiculous SM64 race at a prime time period vs.. I'm not sure what game that was, but pretty sure it was either super early or real late?

Not to say AGDQ isn't chock full of drama for..a lot of different reasons, and is just way too corporate/not as fun anymore, but yeah.

Shimmy shimmy ya shimmy yam shimmy ya

BG Level

I read somewhere both pics are the same first night pic at 9pm?

Atheist Douchebag.
    Pony Slayer of the House of Weave

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Sub only chat is some pussy shit.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith

Have there been any consequences regarding the Logan Paul video at all?

Atheist Douchebag.
    Pony Slayer of the House of Weave

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

No.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 152 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast