Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 90 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 54 ... LastLast
    Very Sexy Nerd
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Sounds like too much work My biggest problem with rng was not being able to get into CP parties to try and get the job points flowing. :<

I might reactivate this weekend and give it a go.

Special at 11:30 or w/e
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Julian View Post
    Sounds like too much work My biggest problem with rng was not being able to get into CP parties to try and get the job points flowing. :<

This has been my thoughts since returning as well. Everyone here at BG has been awesome with their replies to questions, dedication to the wiki, etc. I still have fun farting around with old content and what not. I'm just at a point with gaming where I honestly dislike having to play with other people. And to be clear, that's with any game. I don't want to have to be on a schedule or anything similar. And definitely no chat. While this doesn't apply to FFXI per say, anything FPS like and chat is toxic.

i should really shut up
    You can safely ignore me I am a troll

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Any job can start a CP pt. As long as you have been in one mainstream party you can make one on any job and people always join.

The issue for a job like MNK or RNG is that it needs to be geared a little better by comparison on the outset (imo).
    Then you need groups that want to make it part of the strategy. PUGs have the strategy of a goldfish that tries to read a computer screen.
    I believe RNGs and MNKs make certain content slower but safer and thus easier easier for many players that can't just face roll shit with their HQ gear. Yet apparently making a Nirvana SMN with HQ gear is the way for every wannabe out there.

Thus every player falsely starts saying "I can't go xyz jobs to anything". Then an Ambuscade rolls around and everyone starts asking for well geared XYZ job that 'no one' asks for or has like RDM or PUP.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Just a word for your Ranger...unless that Annihilator is afterglowed, its not much use. The afterglow on ranged weapons is doubly powerful because not only do you gain base damage on the weapon, but you also gain access to free, extremely powerful /ex ammunition connected to that weapon.

The Yoichi, sadly, is a very sub par weapon these days. 1, the meta is almost entirely Marksmanship versus Archery, and 2, Yoichi's greatest asset, its incredible ranged accuracy, isn't needed any more. Meanwhile, Annihilator's greatest asset, its enmity management, is always valuable.

Very Sexy Nerd
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Quote Originally Posted by Kalmado View Post
    This has been my thoughts since returning as well. Everyone here at BG has been awesome with their replies to questions, dedication to the wiki, etc. I still have fun farting around with old content and what not. I'm just at a point with gaming where I honestly dislike having to play with other people. And to be clear, that's with any game. I don't want to have to be on a schedule or anything similar. And definitely no chat. While this doesn't apply to FFXI per say, anything FPS like and chat is toxic.
    Yeah, I can relate. I have no idea if my LS is still around anymore, but the last time I tried to come back, everyone pretty much ignored me and I couldn't get much help, no one would invite me to CP parties, or anything, and I was too lazy/antisocial to put one together myself, so catching up looked too daunting and I got demoralized/bored and gave up.

Quote Originally Posted by Celebrindor View Post
    Just a word for your Ranger...unless that Annihilator is afterglowed, its not much use. The afterglow on ranged weapons is doubly powerful because not only do you gain base damage on the weapon, but you also gain access to free, extremely powerful /ex ammunition connected to that weapon.

The Yoichi, sadly, is a very sub par weapon these days. 1, the meta is almost entirely Marksmanship versus Archery, and 2, Yoichi's greatest asset, its incredible ranged accuracy, isn't needed any more. Meanwhile, Annihilator's greatest asset, its enmity management, is always valuable.
    I have no idea. I think I vaguely recall that when I tried to come back, that was the 10k plutons or whatever? I have a stupid amount of gil so I could probably do it if I wanted to.

Did spamming magic ws (trueflight!) ever become viable? I -really- wanted to make a gastro back in the past, and make a huge MAB gearset for big numbers on stuff that resisted melee, but didn't get around to it. I think people laughed at me, and apparently I made a koga that I don't even remember making, just trying to be meta lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Spicyryan View Post
    Any job can start a CP pt. As long as you have been in one mainstream party you can make one on any job and people always join.

The issue for a job like MNK or RNG is that it needs to be geared a little better by comparison on the outset (imo).
    Then you need groups that want to make it part of the strategy. PUGs have the strategy of a goldfish that tries to read a computer screen.
    I believe RNGs and MNKs make certain content slower but safer and thus easier easier for many players that can't just face roll shit with their HQ gear. Yet apparently making a Nirvana SMN with HQ gear is the way for every wannabe out there.

Thus every player falsely starts saying "I can't go xyz jobs to anything". Then an Ambuscade rolls around and everyone starts asking for well geared XYZ job that 'no one' asks for or has like RDM or PUP.
    I get that. I'm not the princess kind that always wants to play job x or y, and I am 100% OK picking some job I don't like as much, but is stronger/easier to catch up (as long as it's somewhat fun, aka, not a bard back when they would swap through every party in the fucking alliance, lol). But I am also the kind of guy that will put 100% effort into a job I really like (RNG!) and push it to its limits, but I don't qq when I can't bring it to serious content that it's just not good at.

Any recommendations on an easy "catch up" job? Also, I'm on Odin, wasn't really considering transferring, but.. i dunno. I'll hop on discord (typed vent and had a double take there...) and say hi.

edit: Also, another thing I had an issue with was trying to figure out gearing. There were too many random augment shit, +1+2+3 of every different type of everything, and stat vomit out the wazoo, which made trying to figure stuff out a real bitch. I guess I should hit up bgwiki for the events you mentioned in your guide.

Also - I really appreciate the responses. I hope I'm not coming off as ungrateful.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Did spamming magic ws (trueflight!) ever become viable? I -really- wanted to make a gastro back in the past, and make a huge MAB gearset for big numbers on stuff that resisted melee, but didn't get around to it. I think people laughed at me, and apparently I made a koga that I don't even remember making, just trying to be meta lol.
    Trueflight is a monster, and as a gastra owner, it's truly one of my favorite weapons. In fact, there are strats out there where a Trueflight ranger is the ONLY source of damage for very niche fights. Check out the ranger forums on ffxiah.com, it's a decently active forum with some good people.

Ranger is far from dead...I would argue its never been in a better position in the 99 cap era.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

i should really shut up

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Also - I really appreciate the responses. I hope I'm not coming off as ungrateful.
    Not to me at least, and who cares about anyone else, right?

You can catch up on WHM of course
    BLU works for doing shit by yourself.
    WAR SAM DRK are the melee darlings.
    Everyone wants geared out BRD and GEOs, sometimes COR.
    All the shitty groups and shouts want mythic SMNs to rape everything or be raped and disband.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

If anyone that's at current end game stature would like to, would you make a list of what you think is best jobs to use (from best to worst) for people that usually play by themselves? Curious to see what people say.

Graduate of the BG School of FFXI
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Misses Beansman
    FFXIV Server
    Adamantoise
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

For soloing and getting shit done you really cant do better then BLU.

Very Sexy Nerd
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Do people still use guild work?

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mrbeansman View Post
    For soloing and getting shit done you really cant do better then BLU.
    How far behind BLU is BST would you suggest?

i should really shut up

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

How far behind BLU is BST would you suggest?
    Different jobs. Different solo fights they work for sometimes.

With trusts it's not like other jobs are behind.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

in no particular order, run blu bst sch all excel at soloing different escha NMs. should be able to clear all of t1-t2 in zi'tah and ru'aun, and eventually most of reisenjima t1-t2 with those jobs. from there it's up to you as that will cover almost all of your gear needs outside of ambuscade and a few niche items from other events.

anything beyond t2s is more suited to party play, with a few exceptions.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Dark Knight can solo all of those and more, as well, though it takes a good amount of investment first.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

SMN can also easily solo any Escha NM but it's popular at the moment to have a hate boner for SMN so I guess that's not allowed to be discussed

i should really shut up

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by jacobs67 View Post
    SMN can also easily solo any Escha NM but it's popular at the moment to have a hate boner for SMN so I guess that's not allowed to be discussed
    Some people aren't fond of players that are literally helpless outside of gearing up a job to go beat something with a broken 1H ability or Mewing Lullaby, go reset their 1Hs then fight the next thing. Then these same players turn around and shout to merc this content for others. Pretty much cuts a good chunk of the population out from the process because who wouldn't want to just solve their troubles the easy way. It isn't a big deal as that is how people are, but not everyone loves watching players just look for handouts as they wander through a virtual life of voluntary confusion and uselessness.

Nothing quite like seeing "Ambuscade do you need it, Nirvana SMNs can I have it", "Reisenjima HELMs do you need it Nirvana SMNs can I have it?", or "Linkshell looking for members, Nirvana SMN" all at the same time for every shout because SMN came far enough that you can just easy mode most of the game by spamming a macro after buying gear, an increasingly lower cost mythic, AFKing in Omen, etc.
    Too bad the Orc NM in divergence isn't more important or people would be losing their shit since successive bloodpacts get a damage nerf.

BST got the distance they can use Ready at nerfed for less than what conduit has become.

SMN has shitty DPS outside of Conduit, so it adds insult to injury that the class sucks by comparison when it isn't being used for a 1H ability for ridiculous levels of instant DPS.
    They should fix the job rather than once again being wanted for Alexander 2.0 or TP resetting. Many of the useful wards are the same potency as when they were 75 or other early times. No one wants a 13 damage phalanx, a +1 ~ 25 boost to accuracy, or +3~7 to a stat, -25 evasion that doesn't land, etc at the expense of a party slot that needs different pet buffs from a COR, that shit is a joke. Atomos is more useful for dispeling than actually being worth calling.

It is just a shit show that the only thing SMN has ever been wanted for isn't a DD buffer that can SC or magic burst with a bonus of passive buffs that is in less danger than the front line jobs. Instead it is a job that is only worth something to bypass mechanics. Have you ever watched some of these same SMNs outside of conduits? Losing to T1s in Reisenjima miserably or just taking forever in general to do something? It is laughable that one of the worst jobs remains one of the most broken.

Very Sexy Nerd
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

I miss when summoner was just a weaker white mage with more mp and autorefresh.

And decent exploring class thanks to free Carby who could take any aggro while you gtfo!

(I was first NA smn 75 on my server and actually enjoyed playing healer)

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

"BST nerf?!" =_=* Honestly, as a BST, the nerf would've been understandable if it was ONLY Ready range that got dropped to ~10y, but instead they hit us on every pet JA (excluding engaging/disengaging) and reduced our JA range to ~5y. It exposed a personal pet peeve (range variance due to player race/size) and made the job (more) annoying/buggy to play. It was a poorly executed overnerf implemented not to actually fix any valid issues, but to silence the whiners and shut down the bandwagon. SMN continues to avoid the same nerfbat due to being a lore-based backline job, and it's perceived lackluster performance outside of AC spam phases. [/endrant]

From what I've heard from serious SMNs, it takes quite a few reforges and r/ex gear to get rolling, so there's not really that much that can be straight-up bought from AH. It's also one of the jobs that require substantial JP/gear/inventory investment before being worthwhile, so I've been actively discouraged from taking it up (mostly due to inventory woes in my case tho. lol)

Even with a strong aversion to group play in an MMO, you can make solid progress with small groups thanks to Trusts. You don't have to worry as much about scheduling or lootdrama if you only have 1-2 others in your group, but adding those 1-2 others will almost always be enough to overcome fights that you feel are unwinnable when solo. Make just a couple good friends and you can kick a ton of ass.

If you don't want to look for a partner, then dboxing is fine too. Duoing > Soloing, even if you are the only "player" in the party. XD I've been splattering Delves for the last few days with just one other player in my group (we're both dual-boxing.) He's RUN+WHM(or GEO), I'm BST+BLM. Bosses tend to die w/in ~2x SC+MBs. BST+BLM can kill most things up thru T2s pretty easily, and the BST can be subbed out for SCH/SAM/etc since it's just a self-sc'er.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Didn't know about the Bst nerf. That's some bullshit. Makes me borderline completely uninterested in playing the job. BLU it is.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

Didn't know about the Bst nerf. That's some bullshit. Makes me borderline completely uninterested in playing the job. BLU it is.
    The most ironic part about the BST nerf is that they have done absolutely and precisely nothing so far to adjust our damage output. Instead they just made the job annoying/glitchy enough to play that it chased off the "Filthy Casuals"(tm) who were looking for an EZButton, so you wouldn't see groups looking for us anymore. The job is still fun to play as long as you can deal w/ positioning (and lag) actually mattering.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 90 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 54 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag