BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Alright I'm back on the crack and in it to win it. Figured I'd all questions here instead of spreading over numerous threads.

1) Explain to me like I'm 5 why I should use Gearswap and Windower in general over Ashitacast and Ashita. I use the latter simply because I understand the .xml from using spellcast for years.

2) Lowest laptop graphics to run this. Intel HD 4000 can run it smoothly enough at say 1400x900?

3) Besides BLU and BST, what jobs are usually pretty great for soloing content like say certain escha T1 mobs? For instance, Tenodera in Ru'Aun I went 1/1 on Thief and have lost all (6) fights after, and badly. I seem to get amnesia locked. Would a heavy DD like War/Sam or Sam/War be preferable?

4) I haven't looked into gear style or w/e it's called at all. Does it basically make it so I don't blink at all but my gear does change? I don't mind gear blinking. Actually think it's fun. Maybe it's in my head but I swear when I don't see SC damage register in the log it's not happening. Think blinking too fast while doing a SC and you don't get the Darkness SC animation so no damage from the SC shows in the log.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

1.) If you have Ashita set up and working how you want, then there's probably no reason to swap. I think the main reason one might suggest Windower/Gearswap is due to it (far as I know) being the more common choice, thus, there's more support and premade files out there. Ashita, from what I've seen, is often more the choice of folks rolling their own files, if not the heavy multibox scripting types, but that might just be due to who I know.

2.) I haven't tried it on those with dgVoodoo (or you could use the Ashita DirectX remapper), but without those it's functional. It runs. Not that well, but, it runs. My impression is that this pretty much remains true for Intel graphics in general, as their support for pre-DX9 is mediocre.

3.) Probably the biggest factor here is how well the job is geared and supported, followed by what it is you want to solo. There are a few that melee just plain sucks on. Generally though, I think it's often less about the job in particular, and more about the degree to which you have it set up. THF can be a strong option, but if you're low JP, without things like DT sets or just so-so gear in general, then you're not seeing the potential. If that's the case, then simply switching jobs may not be enough to offset it. You might see better returns on the time spent by continuing to build up THF (or whatever) rather than setting up multiple melee to a low degree.

That said, SCH can be a strong soloer and uses a very different approach.

4.) Pretty much, yes. Lockstyle will (mostly) prevent you from blinking when swapping gear, as your appearance is static. The primary exception is that changing weapon types isn't handled, so you'll still blink when doing that. IE, BRDs can't really avoid swapping between harps and horns.

Special at 11:30 or w/e
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Isiolia View Post
    1.) If you have Ashita set up and working how you want, then there's probably no reason to swap. I think the main reason one might suggest Windower/Gearswap is due to it (far as I know) being the more common choice, thus, there's more support and premade files out there. Ashita, from what I've seen, is often more the choice of folks rolling their own files, if not the heavy multibox scripting types, but that might just be due to who I know.

2.) I haven't tried it on those with dgVoodoo (or you could use the Ashita DirectX remapper), but without those it's functional. It runs. Not that well, but, it runs. My impression is that this pretty much remains true for Intel graphics in general, as their support for pre-DX9 is mediocre.

3.) Probably the biggest factor here is how well the job is geared and supported, followed by what it is you want to solo. There are a few that melee just plain sucks on. Generally though, I think it's often less about the job in particular, and more about the degree to which you have it set up. THF can be a strong option, but if you're low JP, without things like DT sets or just so-so gear in general, then you're not seeing the potential. If that's the case, then simply switching jobs may not be enough to offset it. You might see better returns on the time spent by continuing to build up THF (or whatever) rather than setting up multiple melee to a low degree.

That said, SCH can be a strong soloer and uses a very different approach.

4.) Pretty much, yes. Lockstyle will (mostly) prevent you from blinking when swapping gear, as your appearance is static. The primary exception is that changing weapon types isn't handled, so you'll still blink when doing that. IE, BRDs can't really avoid swapping between harps and horns.
    Thanks for the reply. I'll have to look into lockstyle this evening. I can't recall what the model was, but back in 2011 I could run XI on my wife's HP laptop at a decent rate. I could even dual box but that thing ran slow and got HOT! It for sure didn't have dedicated graphics. I'm just looking for a cheapo laptop to basically carry around for my late night at work and the occasional Saturday I have to work where barely anything is happening.

My Thief is mediocre. Currently using Av. Skirmish with +3 DA in main and Delve dagger in off. Only done a handful of SR and dagger hasn't dropped there, yet. I do have Rudra's unlocked. TP nice pieces include Damp Tam with 2% QA, AF3+2 body, Jov Hands +1. WS pieces are lacking with only AF3+2 head, Meg hands +1, Herc feet with +4 WSD, and Fotia belt. Starting synergy so I can get Fotia neck as I already have the gorgets completed. JP is sitting around 145 but that's almost all from doing just stuff. I've only went specifically for CP to unlock RoE stuff, mainly August.

I'm starting working on BLU. Currently 22/75 on last stage to unlock CDC. Getting in on group stuff like Omen and unlocking Dyna [D] when I can. Have WAR and BST to 99 but have put zero effort into them. Overall I'm just having fun doing stuff. I'm not purposefully avoiding doing group things. I just enjoy being able to do things on my own. So if I can figure out a way then I have the will!

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Kalmado View Post
    Currently 22/75 on last stage to unlock CDC.
    Why do that to yourself... again?

Lottery NMs, Voidwalkers, and then 3 stages of Abyssea trophies as opposed to buying coins/dice/residues. Say hi to Sisyphus for me.

i should really shut up
    You can safely ignore me I am a troll

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Vil View Post

Lottery NMs, Voidwalkers, and then 3 stages of Abyssea trophies as opposed to buying coins/dice/residues. Say hi to Sisyphus for me.
    Perhaps they want almace, so unlocking CDC is the excuse to get them there.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Vil View Post

Surprisingly I've been too busy to finish this up and it looks like I may be quite busy moving forward. We will see.

Quote Originally Posted by Spicyryan View Post
    Perhaps they want almace, so unlocking CDC is the excuse to get them there.
    This is the actual answer. I'd rather put the time in to have for a "just in case" down the line. When I realized how easy getting to Farsha to 90 was I was a little disappointed I unlocked Cloudsplitter the easy way.

This weekend was a nice surprise of getting a key invite and was able to participate in a bit of stuff and will be quite possibly very busy with nightly activities. The biggest was having the honor of a group carrying me to a bunch of ambuscade hallmarks/gallantry. I understand now just how important that event is and I am looking to expand my role in what jobs I will play.

THFONRY
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

For someone who just returned(at least for next week and a half), what Trust would you suggest aiming towards. Particularly for use in Dynamis(yes I know theres better weapons than Relics). I've heard dancers would be best bet, but any specific ones you guys suggest? Other suggestions would be nice as well, as I probably will do other content as well.

There were no Trust when I left, just npc companion from the earring, which I hear have been completely outclassed by Trusts.

Shallow and Pedantic
    BG Level

Depends on what job you are going. Assuming you are going Melee?

Koru-Moru(rdm)
    Joachim or Ulmia for BRD
    Recommend you as THF for TH power
    Yoran from the UC for WHM, if not use Kupipi or Cherukki(sp)
    Zeid II for DD and Stun
    Seltheus for his ability to restore MP/HP for entire party in the rare event you get hit by something

You don't need a tank in NQ Dynamis, everything is squishy and you won't really see an issue even soloing with one trust.
    If you feel like you need a tank, Ark Angel EV is great and so is Amchuchu

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

If he’s coming back from a time before Trusts were around he’s not gonna be able to get some of those right away.

THFONRY
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

THF/DNC probably first time in, then THF no sub probably after I get a feel for things again.

Right now just lvl 99(which was fine when I was soloing/duoing before I quit), gonna be working on getting 117-119 gear this weekend, the RoE stuff seems simple enough to get. Not to worried about tank, will definitely look at those support ones you mentioned.

Thanks,

Shallow and Pedantic
    BG Level

You should be able to get Zeid II, Koru and the UC WHM, Joachim very easily.

Truthfully, that is all you need going into dynamis NQ. You don't even need all of them.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by ssjjfar View Post
    For someone who just returned(at least for next week and a half), what Trust would you suggest aiming towards. Particularly for use in Dynamis(yes I know theres better weapons than Relics). I've heard dancers would be best bet, but any specific ones you guys suggest? Other suggestions would be nice as well, as I probably will do other content as well.

There were no Trust when I left, just npc companion from the earring, which I hear have been completely outclassed by Trusts.
    Mayakov and Uka are available in the next login campaign which begins Monday morning. Mumor is the 3rd dancer but I think she's only available from a seasonal event.

Alter Ego event is also on now, which has King of Hearts and Koru-Moru available. I think one or both of them may be available from RoE now anyway, but check that. Amchuchu is available from this Alter Ego event too.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Quote Originally Posted by Anoat View Post
    If he’s coming back from a time before Trusts were around he’s not gonna be able to get some of those right away.
    There's a Trust campaign on, and they're putting a large number of them in the upcoming login campaign as well, so Shantotto II will be available and plenty of others.

a p. sweet dude
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level

Can someone explain the Outer/Inner Ra'Kaznar maps to me? I'm trying to follow the wiki for SoA 5-2-2 but the steps listed don't really make sense to me combined with the maps linked on the page. I have to take the long way because I don't have any of the Wildskeeper KIs to take the shortcuts.

It's honestly just a pain in the ass where you should anticipate having to go up down and up occasionally to work your way through the zone roughly clockwise while having to solo some rieves.

i should really shut up

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Obsidian View Post
    Can someone explain the Outer/Inner Ra'Kaznar maps to me? I'm trying to follow the wiki for SoA 5-2-2 but the steps listed don't really make sense to me combined with the maps linked on the page. I have to take the long way because I don't have any of the Wildskeeper KIs to take the shortcuts.
    Follow the arrows on the Outer Ra'Kaznar maps to the right. You must reach the eastern elevator on Map 2.
    Using the marked map connections. Proceed to warp A on Map 1 to reach A on Map 2 and then to D on map 2.
    From D on map 1 proceed to H.
    From H on map 2 to I.
    From I on Map 1 to J.
    Finally, after using the J warp you will be right around the corner from the home point and zone. Good job surviving this nightmare.
    Head to the bottom and examine the Ominous Postern for a very long cutscene.
    I'm the one who wrote that. Which means I placed the maps on the side page there and walked the actual route as I did it just to make sure it was correct. Not sure where your issue is.

EDIT: Designated that the warps are specifically for Ra'Kaznar Inner Court. You just follow the arrow on the map for the Outer portion, as was stated, but I made sure to add (I-8) to eastern elevator even though the arrow leads to it. Hopefully that helps.

It now reads:
    Follow the arrows on the Outer Ra'Kaznar maps to the right. You must reach the eastern elevator on Map 2, (I-8).
    The starting point is either through Kamihr Drifts or more conveniently the Enigmatic Warp to the Augural Conveyor via an Adoulin Waypoint.
    Upon completing your run through Outer Ra'Kaznar, you will arrive at the Inner Court, Map 1 (I-7).
    Using the marked map connections for Ra'Kaznar Inner Court, proceed to Warp A on Map 1 to reach A on Map 2.
    Then to D on map 2, sending you to D Map 1.
    From D on Map 1 proceed to H.
    From H on Map 2 to I.
    From I on Map 1 to J.
    Finally, after using the J warp you will be right around the corner from the home point and zone. Good job surviving this nightmare.
    Head to the bottom and examine the Ominous Postern for a very long cutscene.

a p. sweet dude
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level

Yeah I figured it out last night after I ate something. What really confused me was just that I didn't realize the warping directions were specifically for the Inner Court, and I should've just been following the arrows to get there.

Sorry for the confusion, thanks for editing the page so future dumb people like me don't struggle as much haha.

Edit: I did try to solo Yumcax for the KI first but it too me 20 minutes to get it to 90% so I gave up, lol.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Yeah I figured it out last night after I ate something. What really confused me was just that I didn't realize the warping directions were specifically for the Inner Court, and I should've just been following the arrows to get there.

Sorry for the confusion, thanks for editing the page so future dumb people like me don't struggle as much haha.

Edit: I did try to solo Yumcax for the KI first but it too me 20 minutes to get it to 90% so I gave up, lol.
    As someone who basically plays solo I tried that one a few times and best I did was getting it to around 30%. By then I had ran out of holy waters and honestly was just tired of playing. A good time to get those KI if doing solo is during a monthly event if planning on staying solo or just having a hard time finding people.

i should really shut up

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

NP, I can't blame you for the confusion.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalmado View Post
    As someone who basically plays solo I tried that one a few times and best I did was getting it to around 30%. By then I had ran out of holy waters and honestly was just tired of playing. A good time to get those KI if doing solo is during a monthly event if planning on staying solo or just having a hard time finding people.
    Picking up Holy Water potency gear makes a huge difference.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag