Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Square Enix opens up new ways for fans to journey through the massive world of Final Fantasy XV with Final Fantasy XV Royal Edition for the Xbox One and PlayStation 4 computer entertainment system, and Final Fantasy XV Windows Edition, coming to Steam, Origin and Windows 10. The special editions feature the base game and over 20 game add-ons / DLC (downloadable content), as well as new features including an expanded map of Insomnia with new enemies and side quests and a first-person camera mode.

Final Fantasy XV Royal Edition and Final Fantasy XV Windows Edition will feature:

• Expanded Map: Insomnia City Ruins – all-new side quests and enemies such as Cerberus and Omega will be available through the expanded map of the Crown City of Insomnia. Players will also take on the Rulers of Yore.

• A fully-controllable Royal Vessel boat, expanding the world of Eos and allowing players to explore the area between Cape Caem and Altissia. Players will also be able to fish aboard the vessel and discover new fishes and dishes.

• A new accessory that can activate the new action “Armiger Unleashed” - players will be able to unleash powerful attacks while the Armiger is summoned. After collecting all of the royal arms, players will be able to find an accessory in an unidentified part of the world, enabling access to Armiger Unleashed.

• A new first-person camera mode, allowing players to experience the game from Noctis’ perspective.

• More than a dozen pieces of downloadable content including weapons, Regalia car skins and item sets

• All season pass content including Episode Gladiolus , Episode Prompto, Multiplayer Expansion: Comrades and Episode Iginis

• Archive – players can review the “Cosmogony” stories scattered throughout the Final Fantasy XV world. Additional local myths and legends will also be placed in various new locations, allowing players to obtain more information about the world.

• Quest to obtain and Strengthen Regalia Type-D

• New Trophies

• The Final Fantasy XV base game

A benchmark tool and instructions to help players optimize their PCs for the game’s launch will be available beginning February 1. Please visit the official website for more information. Final Fantasy XV Windows Edition supports Native 4K and 8K resolutions with HDR10 and Dolby Atmos along with ongoing mod support.

Final Fantasy XV Windows Edition will be available for Steam, Origin and Windows 10 for $49.99. Starting February 1, fans who pre-order the PC version will receive store-specific pre-order and early purchase bonuses. By pre-ordering through the Windows Store, fans will receive the bonus “FFXV Powerup Pack.” This pack contains items designed to power up the player’s performance in combat. By pre-ordering through Steam, fans will receive the bonus “FFXV Fashion Collection.” This pack contains a selection of outfits for the prince and his pals. Those who pre-order on Origin will receive the bonus “FFXV Decal Selection.” This pack contains an array of cool and colorful decals for the Regalia. More details on the early purchase bonuses will be available at a later time. More details regarding the pre-order bonuses are available here: sqex.to/FF15PC.

Final Fantasy XV Royal Edition will be available for the Xbox One and PlayStation 4 computer entertainment system for $49.99, and will feature a new package design by legendary artist Yoshitaka Amano. The “Final Fantasy XV Royal Pack,” including new downloadable content in Final Fantasy XV Royal Edition, will also be available separately on March 6 for $19.99 via the Xbox Store and the PlayStation Store. This purchasable pack allows existing players of Final Fantasy XV to enjoy the new features by applying the pack to the base game.

Shimmy shimmy ya shimmy yam shimmy ya
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

Day fucking Zero. FFXV has been my favorite FF in god knows how long. My hype was through the roof when they played Apocalypsis Noctis at Distant Worlds lol. Been waiting for something like this to start a new run with all the other recent additions like character swap. That fucking new boat alone means a ton of new fish and countless more hours for me to sink into.

BG Level

A fleshed out story, more bosses, more fish!

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith

It's going to be an interesting experience warping around in first person in battle.

Brokage
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Vasp Anemos
    FFXIV Server
    Faerie
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

I mean, Royal edition full game costs $50, the season pass cost $30 and getting just the new stuff costs $20... so it is pretty much the same price and not extra =\

Edit: I should say the season pass cost $30 when I bought it at launch. Dunno what discounted price it’s at now lol

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Quote Originally Posted by Xno Kappa View Post
    A fleshed out story
    Easy there, hoss.

Brokage
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Vasp Anemos
    FFXIV Server
    Faerie
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

According to Gamerscape, the $20 price tag wasn’t confirmed by SE and they’re still considering what price they’ll end up releasing the extra content at

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Vaspinne View Post
    According to Gamerscape, the $20 price tag wasn’t confirmed by SE and they’re still considering what price they’ll end up releasing the extra content at
    The $20 price is in the official press release I posted above.

Very Sexy Nerd
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

I've seen conflicting information on whether the $20 royal upgrade thing includes season pass content (for those who haven't purchased yet).

If it does, I'll definitely pick this up. I only played like... maybe 2 hours of the original game, back when it was released. Have been wanting to go back to it but have not been motivated to do so, so this would probably help pick up my interest.

If not... meh. It's not like it took long for the game to be worth $15, I'll just wait another year and pick up the new version at $15 (if another version hasn't been announced by then, lul.)

Brokage
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Vasp Anemos
    FFXIV Server
    Faerie
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Quote Originally Posted by 6souls View Post
    The $20 price is in the official press release I posted above.
    Apparently it was sent out as a mistake and SE is still considering the price. To quote a reddit poster who's speaking on behalf of gamerescape, "PR email listed the price, their press site did not."

Quote Originally Posted by Kirin View Post
    This alone may be whats most aggravating about Square's side of SE's business model over the last 15 years. Complain about budgets becoming so large when creating 3 new engines is your own fault and then turning around and abandoning what you just built just to complain again that the development cycle for games is so long.
    Remember when FF7 8 and 9 came out in a 3-year span and were complete, contained stories that didn't need movies, animes, comics, and data logs to feel properly told, and weren't dragged out and spread thin by unnecessary sequels and spin-offs?

*(FF7 would be later, but wasn't and didn't need to be at the time)

Sakaguchi Farms remembers.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Yes. The late 1990s was the age of innocence in JPN game marketing.

Then in 2002 Disney showed Square how they could make franchise juggernauts out of their popular IPs. They did the same to Ghibli; now I own a Totoro shirt.

SE was told they'd been grossly underestimating the impact branding & merch could have on their revenue.
    So they looked at their most beloved IP first; 15 years later, with the prevalence of mobile gaming and the paid DLC/in-game transaction hellscape, the Compilation of FF7 will be "concluding" with outsourced "remake" "episodes" on a proprietary 3rd party gaming engine.

All of their AAA titles of late are force-fed, all-or-nothing experiments in hyper-branding engineered to mine the pockets of tweens' parents.

Final Fantasy's lightning-in-a-bottle was gone by 2003.
    Executive meddling bungled the brand image into something unrecognizable by 2007, and killed it outright by 2010.
    Final Fantasy is dead. The 90s majesty is dead. It will never return.

And there stands Nintendo, alone, still the darling of the industry because it chooses to adhere to the high-road adage of quality control over profitability, confident that the former will beget the latter just as it always has.

SE seems comfortable floundering about the low road, believing sincerely it's relevant enough to use FFXV to redefine what a AAA title is. I am equally disgusted with myself as I am enthralled to play this beautiful game in 4K 60hz. Fuck you, SE.

Brokage
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Vasp Anemos
    FFXIV Server
    Faerie
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

I mean... you're 100% right lol

Quote Originally Posted by BWYuko View Post
    I am equally disgusted with myself as I am enthralled to play this beautiful game in 4K 60hz.

BG Level

FFXV is a great game. By now I've probably spent more time playing this game than I have any other Final Fantasy. Expectations are far too high with SE. Partly their fault and partly because everything is hyper focused through nostalgia goggles nowadays.

And fuck outta here with this darling Nintendo crap lol. They just abandoned an entire console generation for trying to capitalize on the success of the Wii, and pushed out a shit tier product out of pure greed.

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Spoilers: Dyne dies

I vehemently disagree on the Nintendo reverence as well.

But I also disagree that at least my own affection for older titles is steeped purely in nostalgia.

The older games were more focused and the creators had more control, the games were made in a time when they had the freedom to be a limited product and not a framework for advertisements, DLC, and sequels/prequels/spinoffs.

That's to say nothing of the creative teams either.

Can you spare some gil?
    BG Level

I put roughly 150 hours into FFXV, and all of that was trying to love the game and try and enjoy the game. By the time I hit plat I was so fed up with it I was insulted and disgusted with their game. The first 10 hours it was a lot of fun, and then it divulged into hold circle and push square sometimes to win. There is an absent lack of player control in some of the later encounters where if an enemy wants you dead you just are. Dodges don't provide enough iframes and guarding is a quick time event that if your character goes stupid you get punished for your character being stupid.

FFXV is not by any means a terrible game but it is leaps and bounds far from being a good game at that. I can't think of a single FF game where I didn't play through the game and cast a single spell up until FFXV because of just how bad it was when synthesising spells to fight a Flan. The fact that my team members were rolling around screaming and getting ripped to shreds by a fiend weak to magic because I had casted a spell was fucking retarded.

Maybe they'll get it right next time, however I'm seriously doubting it.

Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Claire Farron
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Quote Originally Posted by Shenrien View Post
    I put roughly 150 hours into FFXV, and all of that was trying to love the game and try and enjoy the game. By the time I hit plat I was so fed up with it I was insulted and disgusted with their game. The first 10 hours it was a lot of fun, and then it divulged into hold circle and push square sometimes to win. There is an absent lack of player control in some of the later encounters where if an enemy wants you dead you just are. Dodges don't provide enough iframes and guarding is a quick time event that if your character goes stupid you get punished for your character being stupid.

FFXV is not by any means a terrible game but it is leaps and bounds far from being a good game at that. I can't think of a single FF game where I didn't play through the game and cast a single spell up until FFXV because of just how bad it was when synthesising spells to fight a Flan. The fact that my team members were rolling around screaming and getting ripped to shreds by a fiend weak to magic because I had casted a spell was fucking retarded.

Maybe they'll get it right next time, however I'm seriously doubting it.
    Makes you wonder what Platinum Games could've done different. I mean... after the success Nier: Automata and the fact that future Final Fantasy games are going to be more action based it wouldn't be too far fetched to see Square-Enix acquiring Platinum Games.

God I think my ideal FFXVI would be the Story/Lore/RPG elements of FF mixed with Nier: Automata's combat. Replace the pod abilities with magic and we're good to fuckin' go.

Anyway, I'm going to buy the Royal Edition pack when it comes out. This hole i'm burning in my wallet is just going to keep getting worse if they keep it up. I'm split on if I want to double dip for the PC version. I think it'll depend on whether or not my mid-range PC can run it and finally get anti-aliasing on everyone's hair. I find it ridiculous we can have a game as well put together as Horizon Zero Dawn but we have to live with jaggies. The worst thing I ever did in XV was fly around in the regalia, it really makes the game look super fucking ugly because the draw distance and LOD sucks.

If the windows version runs and looks better on my PC I might drop the cash otherwise i'll wait until I can upgrade. I'm not even sure if that will happen this year, newegg has been sold out of nvidia cards for a hot minute.