FFXI Server
    Valefor

It's all dicks and airplanes
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cia Mir
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung

Demo .exe was used to "crack" the game already.

Remember when Bethesda got shit on for putting Denuvo on their demo?

Impossiblu
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Prothescar Centursa
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Was gonna post about that earlier and forgot to. Pretty hilarious honestly. Not like it would've taken them long to crack either way, but being able to use a demo executable as a crack has to be fucking embarassing.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Teisha Linne
    FFXIV Server
    Moogle
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

There was a time when I thought it was cool that S-E is porting all these games to PC. That time is long gone.

Mr. Bananagrabber
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Why? By most accounts they've done a good job of porting this game.

Unless you're one of those people who somehow thinks Denuvo completely ruins a game even if it will never affect you.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Teisha Linne
    FFXIV Server
    Moogle
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I never hated on it. It's just hilarious how fast a Denuvo game was cracked and of course it has to be S-E.
    And none of their ports are usually completely satisfying... They just can't PC well.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

FF9, 10, and 12 have outstanding ports.

Mr. Bananagrabber

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

They have "acceptable" ports.

9 is still technically the phone version, tho they did do a good job adapting to the PC aside from some assorted bugs that modders were able to correct. Iirc the audio was pretty shitty in the PC version too.

10 still had the 30 fps cap, a poorly implemented frame limiter, and other technical issues. But again, outside of the 30 fps cap all were fixable by mods (or a singular mod in this case).

12 is in general good, but for a game as old as it is the performance is quite poor. Even with an HD shine the game should run way way better then it does.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

For what was left of the original assets of each of those titles, I'd say the 3rd world sweatshop studios they outsourced the gruntwork of these ports to did a bang-up job with what they had.

You're totally right. All 3 definitely have flaws. Some are new. Some are really annoying.

At this point, I still hold that each is the definitive retail version of those games.

Shimmy shimmy ya shimmy yam shimmy ya

BG Level

What's the deal with denuvo?

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cia Mir
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung

People just really hate it due to media portraying it as the DRM devil that murders innocent solid state drives and makes games run like shit. And it actually sometimes works at keeping reverse engineers out, so they hate it even more. 4.6 to 4.8 was something around 4-5 months untouched.

DBFZ, this, and some other newer titles are using 5.0. Wouldn't have been cracked (anytime soon, anyway) if not for this as there's no way around 5.0 yet. So they paid a bunch of money to incorporate DRM and aren't able to make use of it at all. If I know my Denuvo, there's not going to be any sort of refund for their purchase either since it's their own damn fault.

tl;dr, money was lost. How much? Probably hundreds of thousands between Denuvo and pirates. Denuvo by itself is ~$100k for a triple A title.

I dunno though, pirates are pirates. I don't think they would suddenly have purchased the game if this hadn't happened. Either way, sucks for SE.

Mr. Bananagrabber

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Xno Kappa View Post
    What's the deal with denuvo?
    It lowers performance, prevents modding, burns out SSDs, and requires an always on internet connection.

Just kidding, it's a system that phones home every couple weeks (depends on the game) to keep a game activated. If you have zero internet access for weeks at a time or try to play a game for the first time (or after a long break between sessions) without internet it will prevent it from running, but for 99% of end users it's a completely transparent DRM that has no tangible effect on the users experience.

It's been propped as the devil by pirates to help themselves justify that stealing is ok, but in reality it's one of the least invasive forms of DRM we've ever encountered.

Aside, the numbering scheme (4.8, 5.0, etc) for Denuvo is mostly something made up at the mouthbreathers of r/crackwatch. It was a throwaway comment by one of the hacking groups at one point which got latched onto by the internets, even after said group pointed that that's not really how things work and each implementation is generally it's own thing.

All that said, I won't lie that I do keep backup hacked exes saved on my computer for if I'm without internet and a game locks itself out, but I've yet to have to do it and Denuvo is never something that will prevent me from buying a game.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cia Mir
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung

Yeah it is arbitrary but it gives you something to reference when talking about it I guess.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Aight so I finally just started playing this. Gimme those beginner tips/things to know.

So far I am in chapter 2. Definitely got the "bro road trip" vibe immediately with the Stand By Me intro. Combat is a lot more hack and slash than I was expecting but that's not really a bad thing. Pretty much I just attack and dodge until a Technique is ready then fire that off, rinse and repeat. I get that the game doesn't want me driving at night yet because I keep getting ambushed by stuff much higher level when I try to. I don't like that you have to rest each time for XP to be applied, but it does hammer home the road trip theme. The first time I set up camp for the night I just had to laugh at how corny it all was. That might sound like a complaint but I found it rather endearing. I really like having all the old FF soundtracks to listen to in the car, but oh man there is a LOT. Is there a faster way to scroll through the playlist? I rolled by eyes at the return of fishing,...and I just finished MGSV and all the gratuitous stuff with Quiet had me cringing, then when I play this one of the first things I see is Cindy...man I love tits as much as the next guy but come on Japan lol

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

Pick up more FF soundtracks at gas stations,
    there's nothing technically missable anymore so don't worry about completion, you can always complete when you reach "endgame",
    do the special events if there are any up (assassin festival, chocobo festival, whatever),
    fishing is actually kind of useful sometimes and one of the funnest parts of the game lol,
    Cindy may have boobs but she's practically one of the bros and a very dependable gal,
    your own magic hurts your guys too unless you have a ring I forget where you get it >_>

Shimmy shimmy ya shimmy yam shimmy ya

BG Level

Final Fantasy XV: Gordon Freeman/Sims: Pick Your Poison Edition

Avoid fishing at all costs!

Every time I fish time seems to disappear and next thing I know it’s been at least 4 hours.

EDIT: don’t rush the game. The chocobros are some of the best characters ever created in FF.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 28 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 ... LastLast