1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 4 hours, 22 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 19 hours, 37 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 1 days, 21 hours, 22 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 4 days, 12 hours, 37 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 39 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 ... LastLast
    Queen of the Pity Party
    BG Level

people who steal your spot in o5n during the mist phase

I realize that is a decidedly small potatoes complaint for numerous reasons, but when it happens three times in a row it's like... really? I was standing here. you were not. now we're both standing here. THIS IS NOT OK

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith

Quote Originally Posted by Yuri-G View Post
    people who steal your spot in o5n during the mist phase

I realize that is a decidedly small potatoes complaint for numerous reasons, but when it happens three times in a row it's like... really? I was standing here. you were not. now we're both standing here. THIS IS NOT OK
    It's worse in savage on some pugs lol. Like you see me here..now that's time and dps loss.

Queen of the Pity Party
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Destinye View Post
    It's worse in savage on some pugs lol. Like you see me here..now that's time and dps loss.
    how... does that even happen on savage? THE GHOSTS ARE COLOR CODED, PEOPLE. or do you just mean one healer stealing another healer's ghost or something like that?

either way I weep for humanity lol

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith

Quote Originally Posted by Yuri-G View Post
    how... does that even happen on savage? THE GHOSTS ARE COLOR CODED, PEOPLE. or do you just mean one healer stealing another healer's ghost or something like that?

either way I weep for humanity lol
    Yep, you'd be surprised how some people don't understand the concept of color coding since god forbid they figure out the sizes lol.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Satori Komeiji
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

What color coding I thought you just sent the WAR in and omg win.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sukimin Yakumo
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Siren

Quote Originally Posted by Fiye View Post
    Or RDM or SAM, I think both of those jobs can also do it. But yeah, it's worse in savage when you get people who just want your ghost for some reason.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith

No such thing with some pug groups lol.

Puppetmaster
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Hafa Nana
    FFXIV Server
    Cerberus

Kinda sucks they're locking a second page to the chocobo bag to a $5/mo additional subscription but for that price you might as well just grab a retainer or two and get free gil from ventures.
    When I see that I'm being manipulated to make a payment (like in this case with artificial shortage of inventory space in the game) my reaction is not to pay, but rather to decrease my engagement (in this case with activities that require inventory space).

The same thing is true with payments, that give an ingame advantage over not paying players. In this case, the ingame auction (the market board) is a very competitive place, and both retainers and the new mobile app provide accessibility + quantity advantages with access to it for additional fees. Crafting is also a competitive activity when done for sale, and additional inventory space and retainer ventures are both beneficial to it.

What I'm ready to pay for is new content that is interesting to play for its own sake (not just because of rewards). And for systems that add replayability to existing content (Like why are boss fights in FFXIV so rigidly scripted that you can write down the exact boss rotation? If most of the attacks were in random order instead, it would add so much more replayability (because of anticipation of the unknown and all the funny situations that result from different boss attack combinations). My guess is that this is because Square Enix is very fond of having control over the pace at which content is consumed by players; having random sequences of boss attacks would mean that some tries would be much easier than others, and SE's ability to keep control over the pace of content consumption by micromanaging boss fights difficulty would be noticeably undermined.).

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/t...284-20-2018%29

So according to this, Deep Dungeon may get held back and we already know next ultimate and eureka isn't in initial 4.3 either. I'll never understand yoshida's concept of "overwhelming players with content." He worded it differently this time though. I get this game is designed for casual players, but I wonder if they're talking about casual "I only play 2 hours every 3 days" casual or casual "I can't clear content that you can die in" casual.

It's why I never understand people who say "XIV has a ton of content, best mmo!" when they're afraid of releasing all of the systems at once to let players go through it, since if it really did have lots of relevant content..players will be busy regardless of introducing 4 systems in a MAJOR update or only 2.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

They're making ultimate less hard? But I don't want to see people wipe the floor with it in the first day...

During the live letter they were talking about the encounter length being too long, so I wonder if the digest is wrong or the live letter translation was wrong.

BG's most likeable Québécois
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/t...284-20-2018%29

So according to this, Deep Dungeon may get held back and we already know next ultimate and eureka isn't in initial 4.3 either. I'll never understand yoshida's concept of "overwhelming players with content." He worded it differently this time though. I get this game is designed for casual players, but I wonder if they're talking about casual "I only play 2 hours every 3 days" casual or casual "I can't clear content that you can die in" casual.

It's why I never understand people who say "XIV has a ton of content, best mmo!" when they're afraid of releasing all of the systems at once to let players go through it, since if it really did have lots of relevant content..players will be busy regardless of introducing 4 systems in a MAJOR update or only 2.

People don't have the same difinition of content

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith

Quote Originally Posted by Ratatapa View Post
    Then again..whenever I read OF and someone says they have nothing to do content wise..one of the first responses is almost always "why don't you level all jobs to 70? Get them to 360/370ilvl? Plenty of content in this game."

So I guess makes sense.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

I still have EX trials I haven't completed and I consider there no content for me to do. Only because it's just mount-chasing. And furnishing-chasing I guess. It's a pity they can't put out enough long-lasting content to keep every part of the playerbase satisfied. I suppose those who care about the raids have more to look forward to as they gather gear every week (on top of the initial struggle of clearing) but people who don't care for the raids are pretty much stuck with nothing between patches unless they're chronic RPers.

The only PVE content I would consider truly midcore is EX trials, and those are a pain to clear or farm for so many reasons. Midcore players barely exist to the point where it's so much hassle to find enough non-casuals who aren't looking to get straight carried through EX trials that clearing them is almost impossible with randos. Fuck it if you get incompetent tanks or 2 dps who don't know what a rotation is. The hardcores have already sped through farming with their groups so they hardly ever join PFs. Just for a mount it's Russian Roulette in PF every day. Is this the day I won't waste 3 hours of my time? No? Maybe tomorrow, then...

Yeah you could consider 24man midcore but it's just half good players literally carrying the other half the raid through the content. I do like alliance raids, because the bosses are usually pretty cool and carrying on AST can actually be kind of fun but oh my god if they dumb down my job like what WAR got in these "adjustments" I'm going to scream.

It pretty much all comes down to itemization in the end. There simply isn't enough gear that will last long enough to bother getting if you aren't doing the one raid per cycle just to be marginally better in the one raid per cycle. So there isn't any content that lasts very long.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Satori Komeiji
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Their wording is

Since there is a large assortment of content being implemented in Patch 4.3, and we believe players will be busy with things like the main scenario, we may push back the implementation of Heaven-on-High just a bit.
    Which leaves me to believe that it'll be 4.35 because THATS LITERALLY WHAT YOSHIDA SAID IN 3.3 (Btw thanks Seravi)

While Deep Dungeon was developed for patch 3.3, rather than crushing players with a large amount of content simultaneously in patch 3.3, we decided it would be better to push it off to patch 3.35.
    Anyway FFXIV has a lot of content if you're limited to 2-3 hours a week.

If you got 2-3 hours a day you're likely gonna learn and burn a lot of fights relatively faster (Extreme Primal, 1st and 2nd floor of Savage Raid) and eventually topple savage as a whole within I dunno a month +/- several weeks depending on skill level.

Ever since Stormblood (And especially since getting a static) I've been able to clear the Extreme Trials usually on release date or at the worst within the week. Savage Raids have gotten cleared by the third week with 3-4 days of prog per week. Hell my static's already dropped down to 1 day/week for clearing before dicking around in other games right now. Or in the case of my SCH running with 2 other statics on 2 other characters.

Can you spare some gil?
    BG Level

What you describe your statics state of clearing content is what I would say is average, and yes once you learn to do the dance all raids are cleared in 1 day and then you fuck off for the next 6 days.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Scrappy Doo
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Then again..whenever I read OF and someone says they have nothing to do content wise..one of the first responses is almost always "why don't you level all jobs to 70? Get them to 360/370ilvl? Plenty of content in this game."

So I guess makes sense.
    I would love to get every job to i370 ilvl ;_; why does the loot system in this game succ so bad

BG's most likeable Québécois
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Shenrien View Post
    What you describe your statics state of clearing content is what I would say is average, and yes once you learn to do the dance all raids are cleared in 1 day and then you fuck off for the next 6 days.
    Which is why i keep saying (yes i'm going there)

That FFXIV cost much more to play then XI was

Puppetmaster
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Hafa Nana
    FFXIV Server
    Cerberus

So I guess makes sense.
    Since we are talking about game content, it could help if we decided what "game" is first. =) I like the difinition that Ramin Shokrizade uses, for example in this Gamasutra article: Game - "a contest of skill or chance between two or more participants" (where artificial intelligence can take the role of one or more participants). This should help distinguish between game content (which presents you with the challenge) and rewards (that are given for participation/completion of content).

By this definition mastering a job in FFXIV is content, because there is a skill challenge (with a learning curve) associated with it. But in order to unlock all of the job's actions, a player needs to level it up. The XP points and levels that a player gets for doing leveling content are actually rewards that are necessary to unlock higher level content. To reach the maximum level, a players need to go through the same leveling content multiple times. As the player becomes more acquainted with the leveling content, it becomes less challenging to him, doing it starts feeling more like a boring chore/grind. And a lot of players don't have the motivation to do the grind, especially if they have already leveled up their favorite jobs.

As to getting 360/370 average ilvl, here we are once again talking about rewards (gear with appropriate ilvl). In order to get those rewards players need to do the same endgame content, that at this point they have already been doing on other jobs, and run into the same repetitiveness/boredom problem as with the leveling content. The fact that gear becomes obsolete in the game pretty quickly doesn't help to maintain the motivation either.

If you are interested in the topic of player motivation and how modern game design approaches it, you might want to take a look at this article: Compulsion Loops & Dopamine in Games and Gamification - which seems like a good starting point to read something about it.

Can you spare some gil?
    BG Level

Which is why i keep saying (yes i'm going there)

That FFXIV cost much more to play then XI was

Yes and no, depends on really your experience I guess.

Returning to XI the last 2 weeks I've noticed that; no one wants to help you because they already have everything done, and if they do want to "help" you; expect to pay a large sum of gil because that is the only motivation they have to do older content with you. Doesn't matter if they're friend, acquaintance or linkshell member. If it doesn't directly benefit them then they will say no unless you tie in that there is gil for them in some way.

I've had more success 6 boxing content in XI recently than I have asking people to go do shit, which I'm fine with so the cost for XI to me is much greater than what the cost of XIV was ever because I didn't need to multibox content to be able to do the content.