1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 12 hours, 22 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 11 hours, 37 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 3 days, 5 hours, 22 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 3 days, 4 hours, 37 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 39 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 22 ... LastLast
    BG's most likeable Québécois
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Shenrien View Post
    Yes and no, depends on really your experience I guess.

Returning to XI the last 2 weeks I've noticed that; no one wants to help you because they already have everything done, and if they do want to "help" you; expect to pay a large sum of gil because that is the only motivation they have to do older content with you. Doesn't matter if they're friend, acquaintance or linkshell member. If it doesn't directly benefit them then they will say no unless you tie in that there is gil for them in some way.

I've had more success 6 boxing content in XI recently than I have asking people to go do shit, which I'm fine with so the cost for XI to me is much greater than what the cost of XIV was ever because I didn't need to multibox content to be able to do the content.
    I'm talking content wise.

Back in the prime days. For 12.99 you had

Dynamis
    Enerjar
    Sea
    Sky
    Limbus
    Salvage
    Nyzul Isle

That were all actually content for actual gear.

Now the content is only the current patch as the older content is useless each patch.

In XI you could play 24h/day and still have stuff to do. In XIV if you play more then 2h per day you easily get out of stuff to do, exept gearing alts/glamor/house/Doing gay stuff on Balmung

So XI costed you less because you have much more stuff to do with that 12.99 per month vs XIV at 9.99 (legacy)

Can you spare some gil?
    BG Level

Gotcha yeah.. viewing it as what you currently get to do that isn't extremely outdated in contrast between the two mmos XI does have the better value if you're in it for just things to do that actually drive progression.

Impossiblu
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Prothescar Centursa
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

This random house time shit is the most exceptional fucking thing. Been sitting at this plot for over 9hrs (previous was around 11hrs and I didn't get it because I had to leave). This timer needs to be reduced by a fucking lot. 6hrs at the most.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Satori Komeiji
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

That's if someone left it inactive or they killed it and swapped to a new place?

Impossiblu
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Prothescar Centursa
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Either. When a plot goes unclaimed it goes on a random timer before the land can be purchased again. Right now the recorded range is 30mins to 22hrs.

House just went up about 11hrs after I got there (it was up before I got there for some indeterminate amount of time). Didn't get it.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

people asked for king spawns, so they built it into the housing system ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Satori Komeiji
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Only system that makes sense tbh

Can you spare some gil?
    BG Level

I wouldn't be surprised if the houses were setup like Tiamat, 1 window every 30 minutes, for 24-72hrs. Have fun with window 143 spawn.

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Yes and no, depends on really your experience I guess.

Returning to XI the last 2 weeks I've noticed that; no one wants to help you because they already have everything done, and if they do want to "help" you; expect to pay a large sum of gil because that is the only motivation they have to do older content with you. Doesn't matter if they're friend, acquaintance or linkshell member. If it doesn't directly benefit them then they will say no unless you tie in that there is gil for them in some way.

I've had more success 6 boxing content in XI recently than I have asking people to go do shit, which I'm fine with so the cost for XI to me is much greater than what the cost of XIV was ever because I didn't need to multibox content to be able to do the content.
    That nasty little mentality has always been there. As the years went by, starting with the abyssea era when I first noticed this ramping up, less and less were wanting to help altruistically.

Sadly, with way less people playing now, it's become the dominate mentality.

Puppetmaster
    BG Level

I think i'm burned out and tired of the cyclic format the game has gone in.

Fewer dungeons each patch for content barely anyone gets to see (ultimate) or is divisive at best and has no place in a modern mmo at worst (eureka) is already kind of a tough sell, but whatever. Bosses still look great and all, and eye candy has always been a big part of this game. But looking over the latest patches, and -

stormblood's just a enormous failing in the biggest part of the game - the msq. Lyse is shit, the redemption plots are shit, and worst of all. they're just repeating the same goddamn plot arc from heavensward.
    Spoiler: show
    Like, holy shit. Zenos got his goddamn slit throat, AND the entire fucking eorzean army on his ass, so if it's him, that's fucking stupid. And even if it's an ascian hijacking his body or something, wow, another fucking plot that just leads into another Final Steps of Faith, probably with some overly-dramatic remix of the stormblood leitmotif, because wowee guys wasnt it SO COOL when we played the heavensward leitmotif when you went up against nidhogg?

Not to mention painfully obvious rifts of the stormblood lietmotif seems to be the ONLY fucking thing this reptitive, bland soundtrack can muster. Because fucking japan and ala mhigo should have the same theme but with different instruments, of COURSE. It's the same musical shit they did in Heavensward, but at least there the main leitmotif was mixed up enough you couldn't tell as much.

Oh, and of course, the plot goes fucking nowhere otherwise. Oh wow, we might have an actually interesting garlean who forces us to question our prejudices - nope, he's fucking evil as shit and we were right, lmao. Papa yoshi pee was so terribly worried you might have blown a gasket trying to deal with the at least attempt at moral complexity in heavensward, good thing you dont even have to fuckin think about who the bad guys are, and look, even some of the bad guys were really good guys all along and we're gonna forgive their war crimes and it's all peaches and MAN WASNT THE ROAD TRIP PLOT SO GREAT DIDNT YOU GUYS LOVE HOW YSAYLE WENT BAD TO GOOD????

not to mention how fucking aimless the whole thing is. Okay we free doma and ala mhigo, great! Now let's go get...some, treasure? Okay, sure, fair, whatever, pandering to the people who miss the gold old days of 1-50 when you were a adventurer. Okay, now let's listen to Lyse be boring as shit and white bread again. Okay, again. Again. Until yoiu like it. And hey, here's that garlean here to just be a prick out of the blue even though we're gonna kill him off in a patch or two and just bring out a NEW stupid arc that's resolved way too quickly! like holy fuck it's like they learned jack shit from the warriors of darkness arc.

and it's all so fucking obvious what's going to happen next. next patch, we get the set up for the next final steps of fate, we're gonna kill the asshole garlean, then the final patch of the cycle is going to set up whatever the fuck next conflict is going to be, most likely with some sort of tragic and sad cliffhanger of some lesser-used character being killed off, because square enix really wants you to have the feel feels, but they don't have the balls to kill off anyone people actually like after harcuhenfaunt.

not to mention the fucking complete lack of any story in the side content stuff, but don't worry guys, WE BROUGHT BACK KLEFKA! YOU LIKE KLEFKA, RIGHT??? Truly, this shitty compressed recording of klefka's laugh makes up for this boring ass tournament arc that's almost 90% "hey here's the next bad guy, NOSTALGIA NOSTALGIA NOSTALGIA, and her'es how you kick their ass, maybe" by volume.

the wiping city of rabanaste doesn't just refer to the quality of pugs there, it also refers to what the writers did with the script, because holy shit does it stink. LIke, they set up the bad guy at the END of it, and the rest of it is just BLAH BLAH SAVE OUR DAD BLAH BLAH SECRET HISTORY BLAH BLHA WOW FINALF ANTASTY TASTICS SURE WAS A GOOD GAME WASNT IT DO YOU REMEMBR RAMZA? YOU LIKE RAMZA, DONTCHA?

to say eureka has any sort of plot would be offensive to the fucking idea of one. a few shitty cutscenes and some ~ominous foreshadowing~, whoop de fucking do.

ffxiv is a fucking flat circle. every bullshit decision square enix has done or will do we will grind tomes for over, and over, and over again, forever.

BG's most likeable Québécois
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by nyttyn View Post

Fewer dungeons each patch for content barely anyone gets to see (ultimate) or is divisive at best and has no place in a modern mmo at worst (eureka) is already kind of a tough sell, but whatever. Bosses still look great and all, and eye candy has always been a big part of this game. But looking over the latest patches, and -

stormblood's just a enormous failing in the biggest part of the game - the msq. Lyse is shit, the redemption plots are shit, and worst of all. they're just repeating the same goddamn plot arc from heavensward.
    Like, holy shit. Zenos got his goddamn slit throat, AND the entire fucking eorzean army on his ass, so if it's him, that's fucking stupid. And even if it's an ascian hijacking his body or something, wow, another fucking plot that just leads into another Final Steps of Faith, probably with some overly-dramatic remix of the stormblood leitmotif, because wowee guys wasnt it SO COOL when we played the heavensward leitmotif when you went up against nidhogg?

Not to mention painfully obvious rifts of the stormblood lietmotif seems to be the ONLY fucking thing this reptitive, bland soundtrack can muster. Because fucking japan and ala mhigo should have the same theme but with different instruments, of COURSE. It's the same musical shit they did in Heavensward, but at least there the main leitmotif was mixed up enough you couldn't tell as much.

Oh, and of course, the plot goes fucking nowhere otherwise. Oh wow, we might have an actually interesting garlean who forces us to question our prejudices - nope, he's fucking evil as shit and we were right, lmao. Papa yoshi pee was so terribly worried you might have blown a gasket trying to deal with the at least attempt at moral complexity in heavensward, good thing you dont even have to fuckin think about who the bad guys are, and look, even some of the bad guys were really good guys all along and we're gonna forgive their war crimes and it's all peaches and MAN WASNT THE ROAD TRIP PLOT SO GREAT DIDNT YOU GUYS LOVE HOW YSAYLE WENT BAD TO GOOD????

not to mention how fucking aimless the whole thing is. Okay we free doma and ala mhigo, great! Now let's go get...some, treasure? Okay, sure, fair, whatever, pandering to the people who miss the gold old days of 1-50 when you were a adventurer. Okay, now let's listen to Lyse be boring as shit and white bread again. Okay, again. Again. Until yoiu like it. And hey, here's that garlean here to just be a prick out of the blue even though we're gonna kill him off in a patch or two and just bring out a NEW stupid arc that's resolved way too quickly! like holy fuck it's like they learned jack shit from the warriors of darkness arc.

and it's all so fucking obvious what's going to happen next. next patch, we get the set up for the next final steps of fate, we're gonna kill the asshole garlean, then the final patch of the cycle is going to set up whatever the fuck next conflict is going to be, most likely with some sort of tragic and sad cliffhanger of some lesser-used character being killed off, because square enix really wants you to have the feel feels, but they don't have the balls to kill off anyone people actually like after harcuhenfaunt.

not to mention the fucking complete lack of any story in the side content stuff, but don't worry guys, WE BROUGHT BACK KLEFKA! YOU LIKE KLEFKA, RIGHT??? Truly, this shitty compressed recording of klefka's laugh makes up for this boring ass tournament arc that's almost 90% "hey here's the next bad guy, NOSTALGIA NOSTALGIA NOSTALGIA, and her'es how you kick their ass, maybe" by volume.

the wiping city of rabanaste doesn't just refer to the quality of pugs there, it also refers to what the writers did with the script, because holy shit does it stink. LIke, they set up the bad guy at the END of it, and the rest of it is just BLAH BLAH SAVE OUR DAD BLAH BLAH SECRET HISTORY BLAH BLHA WOW FINALF ANTASTY TASTICS SURE WAS A GOOD GAME WASNT IT DO YOU REMEMBR RAMZA? YOU LIKE RAMZA, DONTCHA?

to say eureka has any sort of plot would be offensive to the fucking idea of one. a few shitty cutscenes and some ~ominous foreshadowing~, whoop de fucking do.

ffxiv is a fucking flat circle. every bullshit decision square enix has done or will do we will grind tomes for over, and over, and over again, forever.
    Welcome to 4 years ago

Can you spare some gil?
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by nyttyn View Post

It's easier to just quit and pick up playing Runescape or Maplestory at this point honestly, the time invested into either of those would yield a more rewarding experience than continue to show support for XIV.

Puppetmaster
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Hafa Nana
    FFXIV Server
    Cerberus

SE is killing my last desire to play the game with their server performance (in Chaos datacenter). This is how a typical Eureka boss fight looks like:
    – game character and boss animations lag a lot behind their actions;
    – game doesn't react to key presses (I was constantly pressing GCD buttons, but you can see how seldom my character attacks the boss judging by animations. Although now I realize that, judging by buffs, the game does often register action usage, just animations lag so much that you can't judge about action usage by them.);
    – boss is seemingly "teleporting" around where it is supposed to move or jump;
    – animations and the fight in general look slowed down.
    This time I even had to press the "Level Sync" button 3 times before it worked; and after the boss fight it took me 3 key presses to get on the mount.
    Amemet video

And this is how a typical Pazuzu fight looks like. In addition to the effects listed above, you can see:
    – long term player animation freezes (when running players, including my own character, have their animations frozen and are just gliding over the ground, without moving legs and hands);
    – the Dark Aero boss' line AoE doesn't have telegraphs shown on the ground (which becomes the reason of my death);
    – the victory audio theme lags 3 seconds behind the message "Notorious Monster Battle Complete!". On other occasions I've also noticed that sometimes music change lag happens, e.g. it changes from normal dungeon theme to boss fight theme with a lag;
    – my mount and game character are invisible for a couple of seconds (sometimes it takes longer) when I get on the mount after the boss fight.
    Pazuzu video

This is an example of killing a mob in Eureka. This is the type of performance that you can frequently see.
    Abraxas video

And this is how "smooth" following another character on a mount looks like. While my character movement is smooth, other game characters and mobs are "jumping" fast forward after delays.
    Mount following video

Interactions with NPCs in Eureka can also suffer from delays.

These problems are not limited to Eureka. In 24-man dungeons animations lag, ignoring key presses, animations and the fight looking slowed down happen all the time; while occasionally in addition to this you get long term player animation freezes, boss attack telegraphs not showing up on the ground, music theme changing delays (once it has even stopped playing for a while, which you can see in the Argath video below):
    The Royal City of Rabanastre – Mateus video; The Royal City of Rabanastre – Argath video

In 8- and 4-man content lag problems are not so big and spectacular, but it's very annoying that you can expect the game to not react to some of the key presses every single boss fight (and at these moments you at least can't rely on your character animations as feedback about your character actions). This type of lag is not so easy to notice from the outside, but here are a couple of examples of clearly visible boss AoE lag, which also happens sometimes:
    – Missiles lag for a moment in O7S: O7S video;
    – Orbs lag for a moment (at the start) in Byakko Ex: Byakko Ex video.
    During these lag moments you can still run into and get hit by the missiles/orbs.
    I've also noticed late music theme changes sometimes in 8- and 4-man content on other occasions.

Outside of battle content crafters complain (I don't craft myself now) that their crafting macros are breaking because of lag.

On weekends 21 – 22 and 28 – 29 April the server problems were so severe, that in the evening all players around were getting the red 'connection problems' status icons above their heads (sometimes they could move, and sometimes then got "frozen" with the icons above). A couple of times the problem persisted so long that some players (myself included) preferred to take a break from the game. I've personally encountered this in Eureka and in the cities (outside of instanced duties). While this was going on, all players around were also getting disconnects from the server and had to reconnect back on. I've experienced a few such disconnects during these days (1 – 2 times a day). All those disconnects had one peculiar trait: I was able to log back in immediately, without the usual warning that my character is still logged in and I need to wait until it gets logged out. I think that SE would not require to undergo such a procedure only in case if the disconnect was not accidental, but initiated from their side, so that character was logged out properly and automatically on disconnect. This makes me think that these disconnects were enforced by SE to recover server performance, similarly to the forced logouts in the first weeks after Stormblood launch. Only this time they were forcing disconnects one by one or in small groups of players (not everybody at once) and didn't make any official announcements about it.
    On the next weekend (5 – 6 May) I haven't experienced such 'connection problems', but it seems like lag problems have become stronger since the end of that week (at least since Friday). I also remember at least one forced disconnect at the end of that week (on Friday). On the last weekend (12 – 13 May) I encountered the 'connection problems' status icons once in Eureka (in the evening); everybody around got affected by it, but it didn't last long; soon after this I had a forced disconnect from the instance (and was able to log back in immediately).

I first noticed the described lag issues in The Royal City of Rabanastre, AFAIR after the 4.15 patch (When Rival Wings PvP was introduced). But it has got worse lately, that's why I complain.

I claim that this is server related lag (and not my personal issue), because:
    – other players complain about similar issues in game chat;
    – all the players who I talked to about it confirmed that they experienced same kind of issues;
    – there are numerous threads about such issues on the official forums (one, two, three, four and more) and on Reddit (one, two, three, four, five, six, seven and more).
    – there are other players' videos showing the same problems (two of them, with O7S and Byakko Ex, are linked above).

While the most popular explanation of the issues is network connection problems, I would also view another possibility: that SE is currently severely limiting the amount of resources allocated to each of the game instances in order to be able to run more instances on less hardware resources and "optimize" (reduce) the cost of running the game servers. I'm actually more inclined to believe in the latter that in network problems because of the following:
    – I have a stable connection to the servers: 60 – 70 ping with occasional spikes to 110 and no packet loss (according to Windows Resource Monitor). Even when the EU datacenter used to be in Canada and I had a 160 – 170 average ping to it with occasional higher spikes, I had no such issues with the game.
    – the symptoms are very similar to those that have always plagued huge encounters, such as Ixion and S-rank fights at the peaks of their popularity, including the time when we didn't have such problems with other content;
    – SE has an interest to reduce the cost of running the servers as much as possible. The issue exists since at least 21 November 2017 (patch 4.15). If the blame were not on SE, I'm sure that in this amount of time they would be able either to persuade the data center owners, where their hardware is allocated, to take the necessary measures to solve the network problems affecting (seemingly) all players, or could make an announcement taking the blame off themselves and describing their plans to solve the problem (such as changing the servers location, for example);
    – it looks like SE is using forced disconnects to recover server performance (which is somewhat similar to forced logouts at the start of Stormblood, when their servers were overloaded).

If these issues persist when my playtime runs out in 19 days, I'm probably not going to resub until the end of Stormblood (with the possible exception of a seasonal event with a very attractive reward), and will be much less interested to purchase the next game expansion.

Can you spare some gil?
    BG Level

I can guarantee you these problems wont be fixed in the next 19 days, they wont get fixed ever. This has to do with poor infrastructure and net code.

Puppetmaster
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Hafa Nana
    FFXIV Server
    Cerberus

I can guarantee you these problems wont be fixed in the next 19 days, they wont get fixed ever. This has to do with poor infrastructure and net code.
    It's not an innate problem of A Realm Reborn: it was not such an issue until patch 4.15, with the exception of such overcrowded instances as 'special fates' and S-ranks at the peaks of their popularity.

A Realm Reborn has actually been rebuilt from scratch (using a different game engine than FFXIV version 1.xx) for this specific reason: SE has realized that poor infrastructure (server system and graphics engine) of 1.xx would not allow to build the game of desired quality. This topic is well covered in Yoshi-P's presentation at 2014 GDC Conference (Presentation slides; English video) and in the Noclip's video series about rebuilding FFXIV from 1.xx to ARR (part1; part2; part3).

I think that the belief of poor ARR inherited infrastructure is a popular myth, which is a result of Square Enix's frequent usage of technical excuses for different shortcomings of the game. SE prefers to use technical excuses because they are best looking from PR point of view, while in reality many of the shortcomings (such as, for instance, the artificial limitation of inventory space) are an essential part of their purposeful design aimed to increase the game's monetization. I'm sure that A Realm Reborn has been designed very efficiently (in the technical part), learning from the FFXIV 1.xx mistakes and taking into account all of the Square Enix's game design experience and the importance of the title for the company.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith

It seems like a myth, but for some reason the game is just..not stable. Like even XI and DQX are far more superior..and they're ancient and showing their age, especially for XI's change in load priority (which makes it feel like the game is loading slower.) It has gotten noticably worse since after 4.1, but I primarily play on a JP datacenter, so while it's bad..it isn't AS bad as when I play on Aether for example..but the game's engine is just not designed for large scaled gameplay since they largely designed it to be a 'single player' experience in a sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Destinye View Post
    It seems like a myth, but for some reason the game is just..not stable. Like even XI and DQX are far more superior..and they're ancient and showing their age, especially for XI's change in load priority (which makes it feel like the game is loading slower.) It has gotten noticably worse since after 4.1, but I primarily play on a JP datacenter, so while it's bad..it isn't AS bad as when I play on Aether for example..but the game's engine is just not designed for large scaled gameplay since they largely designed it to be a 'single player' experience in a sense.
    I have a hunch that's accurate. I think Hafa is wrong, there's certainly still some relics of 1.0 undeneath the hood. Like how from 2.0-2.38 there was a cap of 30k damage and healing because 1.0 wasn't built in mind for vertical progression. The game still rounds up numbers if they're above a threshold to this day. I'd imagine with every big step forward is countless hours of dealing with tech debt form 1.0

Puppetmaster
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Hafa Nana
    FFXIV Server
    Cerberus

Quote Originally Posted by Destinye View Post
    It seems like a myth, but for some reason the game is just..not stable...
    I don't want to say that the game is perfect on the technical side, but:
    - I still feel that in many cases the technical excuse is mistakenly used by players and deliberately misused by SE for PR reasons;
    - I don't believe in any "technical debt" from the time of 1.xx (in the sense of simply copying poorly implemented binaries or source code), since the whole purpose of rebuilding ARR from scratch on a new server system and graphics engine was to get rid of the old inefficient code. They’ve certainly used many assets in ARR from 1.xx (e.g. graphical models and sounds/music), but it's no different than using such assets from other titles of the Final Fantasy franchise and other games (for example those that they have collaboration events with). It's not a direct code copy/paste, but involves importing and converting the assets to a new format, compatible with the new game's systems. I.e. 1.xx and ARR share a lot of principles on which they are built, but their technical implementation is different.

Quote Originally Posted by carlweathers View Post
    I think Hafa is wrong, there's certainly still some relics of 1.0 undeneath the hood. Like how from 2.0-2.38 there was a cap of 30k damage and healing because 1.0 wasn't built in mind for vertical progression.
    The game has a lot of caps (such as weekly currency caps, for example) and other artificial limitations that have nothing to do with technical deficiencies; they are placed there by design. And the presence/absence of damage/healing caps doesn't anyhow limit the possibility of implementing a vertical progression at some point (and changing the caps, if necessary). The damage/healing cap must have had a merit at some point (such as not letting players beat the fights too easily, for example), and then the caps have been increased or removed/replaced with some other limitations when the next step of vertical progression has been added to the game.

Quote Originally Posted by carlweathers View Post
    The game still rounds up numbers if they're above a threshold to this day.
    Rounding up numbers makes perfect sense. The more digits a number has, the less the power of each of the digits, so the lower power digits can be rounded up of cut off (for example, it doesn’t' make sense to have a countless number of digits after the decimal separator [comma/dot], because the power of the digits on the most right is so low, that they can be neglected).

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Any technical limitations that may be in place are most likely due to the 2 years development cycle and not remnants of 1.0. That should be obvious to anyone who played 1.0 anyway, that shit was awful.

The damage/healing caps had nothing to do with design, but were limitations given how many integers that number is allowed to have in the game. You are giving the Devs way too much credit. It's not there to prevent you from being greasy like a tome cap.