Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

FFRK - The Onion Knight Rises (III) Event & Strategies

Because everyone needs a little Black Mages in their life as well:

Spoiler: show

"I've lived through worse! I can win this!" - Onion Knight

A young boy hailing from another world where tales are passed down of the Crystals and the Warriors of Light. The Onion Knight is one of four orphans chosen by the Wind Crystal as one of the Warriors of Light destined to save the world.

On his journey to complete his mission, he meets a mysterious and amnesiac man named Desch, a priestess named Aria who serves the Water Crystal, the mages Doga and Unei, and many others. Together they would fight the darkness taking over and find whomever had unleashed it upon the world.

Event Start Date: January 10
    Event Bonus Battle: January 14 (Still sunday?)
    Event End Date: January 21

All information is taken from a mixture of Reddit/Spreadsheets/Kongpakbao Site and my own obviously expert analysis.

Much info for the event comes from this site: https://www.reddit.com/r/FFRecordKee...od&sh=c58ee295

Though the information provided is used as a guideline and not always taken directly from the thread. When necessary, additional thoughts on Cid Missions and battle strategies are added.

Notable Rewards:
    Onion Earrings - Accessory. Def+15 and moderate Petrify resistance.

Earth Bringer - Knight 5*. Earth element Guardbringer with the same 2/3/4 Def thresholds.

New Characters Acquired:

Dress Spheres Acquired:

Old Characters Acquired:
    Onion Knight
    Cloud of Darkness
    Ingus
    Arc
    Aria
    Refia

New Memory Crystals:

Old Memory Crystals
    Onion Knight MC1/MC2
    CoD MC1/MC2
    Ingus MC1/MC2
    Arc MC1/MC2
    Aria Mc1/MC2
    Refia MC1/MC2

New Record Materia:

New Record Sphere

New Legend Materia
    • Onion Knight "Mastery of Weapon Arts" - Medium chance to double cast Celerity abilities.
    • Onion Knight "Mastery of Magic Arts" - Medium chance to double cast Black Magic abilities.

*Do note you do not need to fully dive OK for his 2 legend materia.

Cid Missions
    • Beat '凶++ Scylla' with a party consisting of only FF3 synergy characters.

Relics
    Just one banner here, but you already know why you're pulling here if you are.

This doesn't quite mark the banner format shift yet, but it is one of those transitional format banners. No SSB's, though only 4 LMR's.

Future format: 4x 6*, 5x BSB, 5x LMR or new character SSB's.

Banner 1:

OK gets a lot of toys here that covers all his potential builds, but in no surprise his magical one shines just a head above the physical option.

His first USB is a party Shout/Crit Fix in one package with an EX mode "Ninja". 'Ninja' brings a 30% atk boost, untyped fast cast of 1.3 with a cast speed buildup gradient based on actions taken....up to 8 actions of reduction. Gotta go fast.

But even something like that kind of lives in the shadow of his mage USB: Hastega, Mag/Mnd/Res boost, quickcast magic x3, and EX mode "Sage" - giving him another Mag boost and a boost to all Black Magic school damage.

His VoF BSB returns here too.

Refia gets a new fire element USB: 10x ST fire/non damage, en-fire, self quickcast 1, crit damage boost, and will chase fire element abilities with 1x quickcast. Her still potent BSB is here as well.

The party crasher. CoD brings the NaCl with a Mag/Res boost and 7x AoE thunder/dark damage for her USB. It also packs en-dark and a dark element ability chase of a 1 hit AoE thunder/dark/non magic hit - though it is fairly potent at 440%.

Tits McGee's BSB2 is a sage boost entry with 6x AoE dark/non damage, haste, and a 30s Doom timer. Cmd1 is 3 hits of ST dark/non with a bonus multiplier to Darkness abilities for 3 uses, and Cmd2 is a ST (yes, not AoE) Mag/Def bargain.

For the last of the new stuff, Ingus brings a BSB2 with 8x earth/non ST entry and earth element radiant shield. Cmd1 is a similar 3x earth/non ST Knight with a bonus multiplier to Knight abilities for 3 turns and Cmd2 is a very simple self Atk/Def 50% buff.

Aria and Arc's BSBs return to round this out.

Banner 2:

Stay tuned for the next event!

Legend Materias:
    • Banner 1 - Onion: Begin the fight with non-charge 2x.
    • Banner 1 - Refia: Moderate chance to doublecast fire element abilities.
    • Banner 1 - CoD: Begin the fight with en-dark.
    • Banner 1 - Arc: Mnd buildup on White Magic hits. Mnd+1% -> 25%.

Relic Discussion
    https://www.reddit.com/r/FFRecordKee...ap&sh=88728221

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Bonus Battles
    Multi-Headed Monsters
    Cerberus
    HP: 70,000
    Target Score:
    • Reduce Cerberus' magic.

Weak: None
    Absorb: None
    Resist: None
    Null: None
    Status Vulnerabilities: None

Two-Headed Dragon
    HP: 85,000
    Target Score:
    • Defeat Two-Headed Dragon without being KO'ed.

Absorb: None
    Status Vulnerabilities: None

Notes: Cerberus is mixed, but his physical attacks shouldn't be a real issue. He can act 3 times every turn though.

Two-Headed Dragon is 100% physical, and he can inflict silence. Tauntaliate will make you completely immune to damage.

Goddess of Monsters ++
    Enchidna
    HP: 180,000
    Target Score:
    • Reduce Enchidna's magic.

Absorbs: None
    Resists: Earth
    Vulnerabilities: Slow

Notes: Magic and the Death spell is what you really need to be careful with. Any combo of Magic Lure with Grand Cross or Reflect will prevent you from getting janked.

Enchidna can attack twice per turn.

Pure Evil God +++
    Ahriman
    HP: 200,000
    Target Score:
    • Defeat Ahriman without being KO'ed.

Weak: Wind
    Resists: Earth
    Vulnerabilities: Slow

Notes: Ahriman can also attack twice per turn.

Focus on magic mitigation, as you'll probably want to pack a form of tauntaliate as his petrify attack is his only physical offering.

Ultimate + Apocalypse Battles
    Thief of the Power of Fire
    Salamander
    HP: 260,000
    Target Score:
    • Reduce Salamander's magic.

Weak: Ice, Water
    Resists: Fire
    Vulnerabilities: None

Notes: You have to contend with a piercing fire magical attack and a piercing physical hit, so you'll want some stacking of debuffs at least, but dont forget pro/shell for the non piercing stuff.

Fire resist is the go to accessory choice, because that same piercing fire attack is used more frequently when he switches to weaker phases.

??
    凶Scylla
    HP: 300,000
    Target Score:
    • Reduce Scylla's magic.

Moveset:
    Attack (NAT: ST 110% physical, 6% chance to Petrify)
    Attack (NAT: RT 188% physical, 6% chance to Petrify, 2 hits)
    Firaga (BLK: AOE 342% magical fire)
    Thundaga (BLK: AOE 342% magical thunder)
    Blizzaga (BLK: AOE 342% magical ice)
    Holy (WHT: ST 570% magical holy)
    Flare (BLK: ST 410% magical non-element)

(Weak/V Weak only) Curaga (WHT: Self recover HP)

Notes: His only real physical threats come in the form of added effects on weak and not so weak hits - so if you can't fit protect in, dont worry too much. Magical is his choice of damage.

Scylla also tends to use Curaga on phase shifts, but it probably wont be worth dealing with. Just ignore it.

You can get away with Gigas Armlets here, though his elemental attacks also include Holy which is mnd based. Keep that in mind.

Cid Mission: No real realm specific strats here. Just be mindful of the petrify and bring your best III team - whoever it may consist of.

The God of Saronia (Apoc +)
    滅Odin
    HP: 500,000
    Target Score:
    • Reduce Odin's attack.

Moveset:
    Attack (NAT: ST 110% physical)
    Attack (NAT: RT 344% physical, 3 hits)
    Attack (NAT: AOE 347% physical)

(Weak/V Weak only) Zantetsuken (NAT: AOE 582% physical)
    (Weak/V Weak only) Zantetsuken (NAT: AOE 535% physical)

Notes: All physical. No ranged. Back row this sucker.

No gimmicks either. Mitigate, tank, + spank.

Jump Start Notes: No changes from Apoc version.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

How does CoDs USB-Chase work with her 2nd Legend Dive Materia (obtained when fully dived) - which also chases dark abilities?

Do they stack?
    Does one cancel out the other if they both proc?
    Can they proc on each other?

Hackey Thread Lurker since 2010
    I could have bought an 11 pull and have 1000 gems left over, but all I got was this silly title.

BG Level

Maybe? I am trying to remember if my Setzer ever had a proc that went Breakdown > LMR proc > USB Chase > LMR Proc. Whenever I use him I never pay attention to how many times LMR procs.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

I may be wrong, but doesn't Setzer's USB chase use an ability class (Support) instead of an element? I think thats why his skillset worked so well, as elemental chases don't trigger further chases but a class ability use can trigger it.

Like how Bartz is technically a spellblade chase for his LM's/USB and not an elemental chase - even though it needs to check an element (fire/earth/wind/water) to proc.

So in CoD's case, if the LM was Darkness class abilities and the USB was dark element then they would both proc. I would bet the USB overrides the LM.

Edit: Yup...from the "New Ability" announcement:

At 5:00 PM 10/8 PST (1:00 AM 10/9 UTC), a new follow-up ability for Cloud of Darkness's Ultra Soul Break, Crashing Darkness will be added to the game. ・After using the Ultra Soul Break, the user will be temporarily infused with the power of the dark and cause the user's dark abilities to trigger Lightning, which deals magic dark and lightning damage to all targets.

* Conditions for Follow-up Ability
    ・Lightning will trigger for dark abilities. Lightning will still trigger even if an ability that triggers this follow-up attack misses, is absorbed, or is otherwise nullified.
    ・Lightning will trigger for abilities with multiple elements as long as dark is included among them.
    ・Lightning cannot trigger Lightning.
    ・Record materia and legend materia effects will not cause Lightning to trigger multiple times.
    ・Lightning will not charge the Soul Break gauge.
    ・Lightning will be included in a Chain Soul Break count.
    So it is a case of ability class vs element use.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I'm sure both can proc but the chase happens only once. Materia procs can also activate multiple times on dualcasts.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Kirin View Post
    I may be wrong, but doesn't Setzer's USB chase use an ability class (Support) instead of an element? I think thats why his skillset worked so well, as elemental chases don't trigger further chases but a class ability use can trigger it.

Like how Bartz is technically a spellblade chase for his LM's/USB and not an elemental chase - even though it needs to check an element (fire/earth/wind/water) to proc.

So in CoD's case, if the LM was Darkness class abilities and the USB was dark element then they would both proc. I would bet the USB overrides the LM.

Edit: Yup...from the "New Ability" announcement:

So it is a case of ability class vs element use.
    Perfect, ty sir

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

I did not get CoDs USB so cannot test the previously discussed topic, but I did get her Endark LMR, and have her completely legend dived and can report, that with Endark LMR, a standard auto-attack appears to actually cast Dark (the black magic spell) AND chases it with Effusing Darkness (the final LMR from her Legend Dive board). It was unexpected.