+ Reply to Thread
    The Real Cookiemonster
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dark Depravity
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Challenge with GDP deployed start menu layout and different office versions

Anyone have any experience with creating customized start menu layouts for a corporation with different versions of office on the client computers?

We're about 50-50 on 2013/2016, and my google-fu is failing me on this subject.

I am planning to deploy it roughly following https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...s-and-policies

the xml file I expert on my test refers to a bunch of links (like this <start:DesktopApplicationTile Row="2" Column="5" Size="1x1" DesktopApplicationLinkPath="%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Micr osoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\PowerPoint 2016.lnk"/> ), and I don't think I'm allowed to execute a generic "winword" like from the run menu that doesn't pre-specify the file location of the installation.

roughly what i am trying to accomplish, I want a defalt, non-alterable start menu that will have the built in mail-app, calendar app, FireFox, Foxit, and office programs on the right hand side, but I can't figure out how to make sure it points the right places on different versions of office.

anyone tinker with this before?

I could just do the partial, then manually add the office part, it would at least save me all the time of removing other stuff.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Niya Kouya
    FFXIV Server
    Odin

Probably the easiest way to do this should be item-level targeting. https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/lib...(v=ws.11).aspx

You create the GPO items for your Office 2013/2016 tiles twice, each either with the 2013 or the 2016 links, and give both entries item-level targets that only exist when the corresponding Office version is installed, so for example a check if the winword.exe is present in the default folder for either version. That way the PC checks which condition is met and only executes that part of the GPO.

The Real Cookiemonster
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dark Depravity
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

oh that is precisely what I was looking for, I will verify that it works with win10 as well and give it a shot, thank you <3