+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Yoshi P
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

So there is supposed to be some system in bo1 that matches people based on the popularity of cards (based on wild card usage) in their deck, but as far as I can tell it doesn't do shit. No matter how jank I make my decks, I still get matched against the same RDW in more than half my games. I chain conceded down into the silver ranks to see if that would make a difference, but no.

United States of Smash!
    BG Level

Is there a new MTG online client/game? What are you guys talking about here I must have missed something.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Arena. It's been being promoted for quite awhile. It's like mtgo but with more distracting graphics more gacha and no trading redemption etc

United States of Smash!
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by dasva View Post
    Arena. It's been being promoted for quite awhile. It's like mtgo but with more distracting graphics more gacha and no trading redemption etc
    Thanks. Is it replacing MTGO? Or developed along side it?

The Fucking Voice of Actually
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cantih Hacos
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

Alongside.

Been Here Longer Than you
    BG Level

It is Standard (and limited?) only and sucks. I get a headache from the angle the game is presented almost every time I play.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cantih Hacos
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

The rundown:

MTGO:
    Full Magic (minus card bugs that haven't been fixed, some in forever), with cards you can trade, and even trade-in for paper*, so it's fungible (though you'll have to jump hoops, and unlikely get back as much you put in). Also an actual economy, so volatility, whether you like that or hate that. And unless you are a draft or constructed pro, you are only going to get anywhere by sinking in a few hundred dollars minimum.

The client and server is dogshit though. It's laggy, fugly, and tournaments and prize redemption are notorious for having shit go wrong. And the current client (4.0) is arguably worse than the previous one it replaced (3.0), which was 5 years ago, and there's no sign of Wizards doing fuckall about it.

MTGA:
    Standard (Kaladesh to M19) Magic (Though draft is "simulated", you aren't in a live 8 player pool, you're drafting against bots, then playing that deck against humans.). You can't trade or cash out cards, any money spent is just gone.
    Is free to play, but as the economy stands, you will be able to grind out a tournament ready deck in the same amount of time it takes for a new set to come out and make it useless. And you'll get stomped in the mean time.
    Devs said they'd address the economy, it was delayed, and when it happened it was nothing but PR-marketroid platitudes. This made people angry. Supposedly there will be something going on with that front within the next month and a half, but we'll see.

Pretty, and modern UI, but it could be argued the flashiness is useless (and some of it does slow down the game, like bomb card animations).
    Has fewer bugs because it supports fewer cards, and because the engine was built more recently and didn't need to adapt to curveball rules changes and new mechanics.
    There have been bugs, but so far they they can be chalked up to being in beta, while both adding in new sets in schedule as the release in paper (Dominaria, M19), and adding in older sets still in Standard that it didn't launch with (Kaladesh, Amonkhet).

If you want to see each in action, there's plenty of streamers on Twitch. https://www.twitch.tv/directory/game...he%20Gathering

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Xerlic Jilrak
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Once you learn the interface, MTGO isn't nearly as bad as people make it out to be.

BG Level

Agree, but it is entirely too expensive.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cantih Hacos
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

I really can't stress the laggyness of MTGO enough. I'm watching play right now, and the delay between action and animation, in as "no frills" a screen as it has, is flat out unforgivable.
    Especially when a flashier client runs circles around it in terms of responsiveness.
    And this is not a new problem. They have not done a thing about it in half a decade.

The fact that WOTC decided to make a HS competitor instead of investing in a replacing MTGO with an actual working product is why I won't be touching it. Instead of trying to sue HEX they should have hired their team to make a new MTGO client.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

When some WotC guy was asked about multiplayer modes in MTGA, he said there were no plans, and if they were to do it, it would be as a standalone product. They were more concerned about getting normal modes to work fully in a mobile resolution. Seems like arena is really not intended to be a definitive digital version of magic, which makes dumping money into it even sketchier.

BG Level

If that is the case, it will certainly never gain traction with the competitive scene. Why would I use it, if I can't even test with my team for a Grand Prix or PT?

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cantih Hacos
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

Part of the problem is, Wizards has a gap they can't functionally fill.

MTGO can't serve as an intro to magic, because of it's paper parity real market. It has a high barrier to entry with matching paper pack prices, and if they were to add a f2p faucet, it's economy would crash and the players would riot.
    And the Duels of the Planeswalkers couldn't do it, because it wasn't "real" Magic. Mostly static decks that had artificial rarity limits.
    And if you make a product that just gives players the full standard card pool, then why will they get any of your other shit?

BG Level

They should use a subscription model and spend cash to made the MTGO UI better.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Weltall View Post
    They should use a subscription model and spend cash to made the MTGO UI better.
    https://www.manatraders.com/subscriptions

BG Level

I've used them, but it is also way too expensive, esp. if you want to play Legacy/Vintage, which I do. Their site is very well design though.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Well yeah vintage/legacy has always been a rich bois club lol. Though trying to keep up with standard is too .

Melee Summoner
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Here are some codes for MTGA

44m-fy7k-wyb
    a3p-xkbj-fb4
    oqq-csdx-8rz
    6yk-kyyo-6nj
    fcs-gu1f-4bb

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cantih Hacos
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

And PMed the two that asked after I posted, their codes.

Since I forgot to put it in the PM, you go to MTGArena.com to get the client, then enter the code when prompted

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag