FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

Still looks bland. The art style they went with looks too clay-like, so everything looks muddy. The obnoxiously big hands and feet are starting to really look like a problem compared to their sprite incarnations. 3rd strike's proportions felt better.

Strider/Doom/Cyclops
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Viper Beam
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

I guess I'm not sure what the basis for comparison is.

Cody's default outfit is FAR better in SF5 than in SF4, and it's not really even close. His moveset is more unique than it was in SF4, when it was almost exactly the same moveset as A3 but with Zonk + universal SF4 mechanics. And as for the game-defining moves (Ultras in SF4, VTs in SF5), I see two install V-Triggers as less bland than two cinematic Ultras.

SF4 Cody was warmed over A3 Cody, from the backstory to the outfit to the moveset. He was almost literally the minimum possible effort to port a character from one game to the next. SF5 Cody is a major change in his tired backstory, his bland and clownish outfit, and his stagnant gameplay. Cody isn't Ryu or Guile, with iconic fundamental gameplay that is a core of the genre. He's a character that can definitely use a shakeup, and this was a great way to refresh a character while including MORE gameplay references to his origins.

I suppose what it boils down to is: if this version of Cody is an uninteresting disappointment, what was the expectation, exactly? Another port of A3 Cody into a new game?

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Minerva Kissaki
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

i am 100% behind this new cody

*wink wink*

Old Odin
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

i love this new cody! the movement the look etc. he is so delicious <3

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

I love the trailer, and I do like how he looks. But the gameplay, no. Which is SFV in general, not Cody in isolation.

Been Here Longer Than you
    BG Level

I think most of the characters look pretty sweet in V. It is usually their frames/motions that look like trash.

The Defense is ready, Your Honor
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

I have no problem with Cody's outfit, SD. Its the best outfit he's ever had. Outfits aren't the problem with the design of the game. Its the clay-like body mold and the absence of depth of shadows that leads to this waxy, robot-like look on some stages and on a lot of still shots. The super-deformed hands and feet are so big in this game that they make a lot of movement and punch/kick/throw motions look slow-motion, which sucks out a lot of the visual impact of the move. Cody's moveset has a lot of moves that look like he's just going through the motions because of this visual slowdown.

Then you just have this stiffness to characters, and its not everyone. Blanka has a ton of movement in him, but even he has some animations that just look super low-impact, like his EX command grab, which looks like two clayfighter molds being stop-motioned very smoothly.

None of this is an endorsement of SF4. That game has aged like shit, graphically, and i wasn't a fan of the art style outside of the hilarious eye-tracking and facial reaction animations to people getting supered, like Rufus' eyes popping out with terror when someone preps an ultimate in front of him. SF5 graphically takes a shit on SF4, but Capcom still hasn't perfect the art of making these 3D models MOVE realistically (and not real-life realism, but with the same smoothness and depth of their advanced sprites, AKA 3rd Strike). SF4 has too much stiffness.

The easiest example I can point to is Ryu's Donkey Kick in SF3 and SF5. There's no comparison.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Season 3 Poster
    Spoiler: show

Strider/Doom/Cyclops
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Viper Beam
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

I've had a bit of time to play with Cody so far, and while I can't yet say whether he's going to be good, it's clear that Capcom has put more effort into this character than anyone else in a long time; I think he's probably the "main character" of AE. The Kenny Omega trailer was a clue, but aesthetically, all of his ground normals - standing and crouching - have their own unique idle recovery animation (the kind that gets cut short if you do anything else). So you're not going to see a lot of them over the course of a match, but it's a nice touch.

Another nice touch is that his VT2 actually requires batter's timing. In the case of his HCB+K command throw he gets during VT2, if you just do it and push no other input, you get a 140damage/150stun swing. You can push P to manually swing (you can't miss) and if you have bad timing, you get 150dmg/150stun. If you have good timing, you get a special animation, a wall bounce (can't juggle, I think?), and 220dmg/300stun. It's similar to Spencer's command throw in MVC3.

He also has a QCB+P rock toss during VT2 that you can swing at with HP+HK or down+HP+HK. If you input the move and buffer the HP+HK immediately, he'll swing and give it an arc similar to his old A3/SF4 rock toss. But if you delay your HP+HK swing, you can give the rock different trajectories. If you swing really late you can skip it off the ground, and if you swing with perfect timing (seems easier for the rock toss than the command throw) you get the line-drive 3-hit projectile in the trailer.

He seems fun.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

Cody has a shit-ton of moves and some huge corner combo damage, I'll give him that. He certainly seems fleshed-out.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Shanoa Varhara
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Character Primers up on Capcom Unity

http://www.capcom-unity.com/strumsli...on-on-august-6

G has some sort of charge up mechanic can be leveled up 3 times and it buffs his specials but he loses a level of charge if he gets knocked down.

Sagat is mostly unchanged aside from new V-trigger mechanics and he can apparently still do kara uppercut.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Shimmy shimmy ya shimmy yam shimmy ya
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

Street Fighter V AE: RIP SRK

Was never a fan of his character design but that Q alt and his play style look fucking sick! Might have to reinstall to check him out.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

Agreed. He's got an interesting style, if nothing else.

Mr. Bananagrabber

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Having completely ignored the game for the last half a year plus, I am very amused at how goddamn scrubby Cody is.

He's also super fun to play, which is obviously connected.

Ninja Ninja
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Noemi Rondain
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Bonchan has his hands on Sagat and is straight back to doing his thing.

BG Level

Who here actually plays this? I reinstalled and got some games in vs. Kran, but I want to play a couple other people before I uninstall again.

BG Level

RIP - I should have known the answer was "no one".

Shimmy shimmy ya shimmy yam shimmy ya

BG Level

I want to try G. Had no idea he was out already lmao.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 ... LastLast