• Navigation
+ Reply to Thread
    Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Looking for a new TV. QLED? OLED? Samsung, LG, Sony?!?

There are simply too many choices! I currently have a Sharp - AQUOS Quattron (LC-60LE755U) that I'd like to retire to the basement. When I bought it 60" seemed huge, but now it feels lacking. I went to both LG and Samsung's websites and as expected, they both claim to have the best product.

Can anyone give me a professional recommendation on which TV currently available will offer the best bang for the buck? Not looking to spend 10k on a TV, but half that may be ok since I don't plan on another upgrade for at least 5 years.

Thanks for the help!

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

OLED is the best at the moment. QLED is just a lot more smaller LED backlights. Current tech is OLED > QLED > LED.

Art Connesseur of Blue Gartr
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Odess E'iron
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

OLED is the best route right now. I have a samsung JS9000, which is a higher end LED. I wish I had gone the OLED route (or waited a bit longer, for price drops, etc) It's pretty good, but after watching an OLED at a friends house, it's significantly better. QLED is just one of those samsung marketing terms like Super High Definition. They just want to sell people on catch phrases. The smaller LED backlights still generate excess brightness at the edges of the screen, but less than a regular LED TV. It's very noticeable if you're watching a dark movie and there's subtitles, or widescreen letterbox. OLEDs since they are not edge lit, do not do this.

I'd personally go with LG, they're pretty top of the game right now with OLED tech. Splurge on the 65". You won't regret it. Sony released one not long ago, but it's overpriced IMO. The prices fluctuate all the time, but this coming flyer you'll probably see some great sales for Super Bowl Sunday. It's the only other time of the year from Black Friday when TV's are at their cheapest. The models that are out now will also be "replaced" by next years models within the coming months, so if you want to wait til the 2017 line is discontinued, you might be able to get one even cheaper. Not a guarantee though.

Also, when you're looking at model numbers. Don't think it's a significantly better model just because it's a higher number and higher price. Example:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-65-c...?skuId=5935272

vs

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-65-c...?skuId=5763359

The difference is the bottom TV has better speakers. But if you have your own soundbar or home theater, then you don't need the bottom. You're literally just paying for the speaker upgrade. It's the same screen. So buyer beware, etc. Stores will also try to upsell you on super high def HDMI cables, etc. Don't fall for this. They're hilariously overpriced, but most people don't know that. Just order some amazonbasics cables and you're fine.

There's some concern about OLED burn in on the enthusiast boards, but if you're just watching regular TV/normal game usage, there won't be a problem. Most people who complain about it have the news logos burned in from watching it for hours. Or cartoon networks, or what have you.

Ironing this Thread
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

YOU BLACK, MIDNIGHT, EVIL MOTHERFUCKERS!!! BLACK MAGIC, DARKNESS!!! YOU RAW, DARKNESS!!! YOU, FUCKING, DELIRIOUS MOTHERFUCKER!
    You were cold as ice.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sho Ryuuken
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by Odesseiron View Post
    There's some concern about OLED burn in on the enthusiast boards, but if you're just watching regular TV/normal game usage, there won't be a problem. Most people who complain about it have the news logos burned in from watching it for hours. Or cartoon networks, or what have you.
    I would definitely warn anyone who has OLED to not watch news/sports/anything with a logo in lower right/left hand for over 3+ hours without turning off their TV for a few seconds and back on.

And definitely do not leave your TV on these channels.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Thank you kindly for all the information, its much appreciated. I'll look into the LG OLED. Im not seeing anything over 65" which is weird.

BG's #1 Hatsune Miku fan!
    BG Level

Look on this page on LG's offical site:

http://www.lg.com/us/uhd-4k-tvs

It tells you were to buy TV's over 65" although they maybe prohibitively expensive.