Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
    Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

Small note:
    * Nether Castigation is somewhat odd ._.;; The action sequence is: Boss Charges > Boss Boils > once Boss reaches 3000TP will use NC. Will still use it for full damage/effect EVEN IF IT HAS 0TP at the time it hits.... Managed to successfully time a TPDK to hit after it started readying the move. Successfully drained 3000TP, no TP fed before the move then went off for the normal ~1500. Damage is unaffected by TP, but still needs exactly 3000TP in order to be able to use it. Have drained 2997TP and successfully kept it locked down.

i should really shut up
    You can safely ignore me I am a troll

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Nyarlko View Post
    Small note:
    * Nether Castigation is somewhat odd ._.;; The action sequence is: Boss Charges > Boss Boils > once Boss reaches 3000TP will use NC. Will still use it for full damage/effect EVEN IF IT HAS 0TP at the time it hits.... Managed to successfully time a TPDK to hit after it started readying the move. Successfully drained 3000TP, no TP fed before the move then went off for the normal ~1500. Damage is unaffected by TP, but still needs exactly 3000TP in order to be able to use it. Have drained 2997TP and successfully kept it locked down.
    That is actually good to know, ill add it to the wiki.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

Mathed it out over on ffxiah, and on paper at least, 2x MNK with full Subtle Blow setup should have no problems going all-out non-stop (w/ a backwards/not-engaged tank) with TPDK strat. Now the question is: Can 2x MNKs going all out beat 2x OtherDD turning for 1/2 the time?

If MNKs were not an endangered species, I'd test this myself. <,<;;; But I haven't found any MNKs to ask...

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Should be doing Ambuscade for the month with LS soon, and pretty much everyone has a fully geared MNK. Will report back when we can try

Edit: I just realized(I think?) that involves BST, lol. Scratch the possibility of trying that

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Mathed it out over on ffxiah, and on paper at least, 2x MNK with full Subtle Blow setup should have no problems going all-out non-stop (w/ a backwards/not-engaged tank) with TPDK strat. Now the question is: Can 2x MNKs going all out beat 2x OtherDD turning for 1/2 the time?

If MNKs were not an endangered species, I'd test this myself. <,<;;; But I haven't found any MNKs to ask...
    Melee strat doesn't actually involve turning even close to half the time. Retributionist is much more often in his neutral and Charging Up phases, as Boiling and Miasma last a very short time.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

Quote Originally Posted by Dotsudoku View Post
    Should be doing Ambuscade for the month with LS soon, and pretty much everyone has a fully geared MNK. Will report back when we can try

Edit: I just realized(I think?) that involves BST, lol. Scratch the possibility of trying that
    It does. BST is the lynchpin slot. Leech jugpet's "TP Drainkiss" drains 100% of target's current TP when leech has 3k effective TP, and when boss is in Boil/Miasma mode, it will do nothing besides autoatk/casting magic until it hits 3000TP.. It's actually rather easy to use the leech to keep the boss neutered and locked down but TPDK is a 3-charge Ready move, so need to keep TP feed under 3k every ~32sec to allow for spammage.

Interesting thing. TPDK does not appear to be resist-able at all. There is no macc check, no dSTAT, it's just a straight linear formula where the amount stolen depends solely on the pet's TP. Leech jug maxes out at ilv114 btw.. lol Pretty sure that any 10sec Ready BST can handle the role, regardless of overall gear quality.

MNKs need 5/5 Penance merits, and was told that MNK caps @ Subtle Blow +75%. With those numbers, 2x MNKs can keep Penance up fulltime, and shouldn't have to turn at all once the boss enters Boil mode.

Quote Originally Posted by Fwahm View Post
    Melee strat doesn't actually involve turning even close to half the time. Retributionist is much more often in his neutral and Charging Up phases, as Boiling and Miasma last a very short time.
    In my strat, the boss is fully locked into Boil mode. Other melees would have to turn when not WS'ing to reduce TP feed to manageable levels. MNK actually fits in perfectly with this mechanic, tho any DD can be made to work as well. The downside to this strat is that if someone goofs and either feeds too much TP or BST fails at hitting a Ready macro, then it will result in a REALLY REALLY BIG BOOM.

I have yet to find people to test it out on higher difficulties with me so far, so don't know how much slower my way is when compared to other currently accepted strategies. I am assuming that it's slower, since non-MNKs would be throttling their white dmg way down most likely, but as long as the BST doesn't mess up hitting a Ready macro every 30sec CD, it's a 100% guaranteed win that should technically allow anyone/everyone to get wins under their belt (as long as they hit the basic acc reqs, etc.)

i should really shut up

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Why not just scherzo and armor, go to pound town and turn for a moment if you see it? That or nin melees and say fuck it with migawari?

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

Quote Originally Posted by Spicyryan View Post
    Why not just scherzo and armor, go to pound town and turn for a moment if you see it? That or nin melees and say fuck it with migawari?
    Because it is exceedingly more fun to take advantage of and abuse mechanics than it is to simply ignore them. Especially if I can subvert BST into a support role AND give the current underdog job some time in the limelight while doing so. XD

i should really shut up

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Because it is exceedingly more fun to take advantage of and abuse mechanics than it is to simply ignore them. Especially if I can subvert BST into a support role AND give the current underdog job some time in the limelight while doing so. XD
    Yeah, because TP drainkiss isn't cheesing it, lol.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

Quote Originally Posted by Spicyryan View Post
    Yeah, because TP drainkiss isn't cheesing it, lol.
    Cheesing it by abusing the hell out of the mechanics intentionally included in the fight is a completely different beast than ignoring the mechanics of the fight entirely. Zombietanking and Scherzo/Migawari/EarthenArmor tactics are ignoring the mechanics in an effort to turn the encounter into a pure DPS race. That's not fun. :/

If I can create new niches for jobs along the way, even better. BST technically has a pretty massive toolkit to draw from with jug pets, so it would be a shame not to explore the ones not in common use atm. Fatso Fargann has lousy DPS since it caps out at lv114, but still has a use even against much higher level targets since TPDK just works regardless of the target.

I've always liked finding the loopholes in games like this. I was most likely one of the reasons that a certain boss in WoW got adjusted to be immune to a certain hunter pet ability years ago (because I figured out how to basically do the same thing using 2-3 hunters. lol)

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Zombietanking and Scherzo/Migawari/EarthenArmor tactics are no less built into the fight than your jug pet. Why is this an argument.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4