She Shoots For The Stars
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Elizara Paksenarrion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Trying to help my brother study for his MS Computer certs. (Aka. how to protect PC!)

I thought I'd ask. My brother who is out of work keeps saying he wants to study for his MS computer/network certs. (About time; he should of gotten them years ago! Maybe he wouldn't be in this mess now if he did) I'm the only one with a Windows 10 PC in the house, and I told him he could use it to learn on.

Thing is I don't want him to mess stuff up/change stuff on my PC permanently when he's studying, since I've had to redo this system WAY too many times and I don't want to reformat since he screwed up. A friend told me about a app that can revert changes on reboot but I can't find it. (Said app could be turned off if you didn't need it, and since this is MY pc I'd only want the app on when my brother was using it to study) This brother is one who learns better hands on and getting his hands dirty though, hence why I think it's necessary. I just wish I knew what that was called..

Any ideas guys? Oh and I'm going to be his Win 10 study buddy; I don't think it hurts to know the innards of my pc's op system anyway. ^^

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Possible that your friend is talking about Windows Recovery options.

If you're particularly worried, I would set up virtual machines to tinker with instead. Virtualbox is free, as is VMware Workstation Player.

BG's most likeable Québécois
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Elizara View Post
    I thought I'd ask. My brother who is out of work keeps saying he wants to study for his MS computer/network certs. (About time; he should of gotten them years ago! Maybe he wouldn't be in this mess now if he did) I'm the only one with a Windows 10 PC in the house, and I told him he could use it to learn on.

Thing is I don't want him to mess stuff up/change stuff on my PC permanently when he's studying, since I've had to redo this system WAY too many times and I don't want to reformat since he screwed up. A friend told me about a app that can revert changes on reboot but I can't find it. (Said app could be turned off if you didn't need it, and since this is MY pc I'd only want the app on when my brother was using it to study) This brother is one who learns better hands on and getting his hands dirty though, hence why I think it's necessary. I just wish I knew what that was called..

Any ideas guys? Oh and I'm going to be his Win 10 study buddy; I don't think it hurts to know the innards of my pc's op system anyway. ^^
    Install him a software called Vmware Workstation and install a trial version of W10 on it

That way he can fuck up W10 without killing your computer

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Niya Kouya
    FFXIV Server
    Odin

Or, if you don't want to (or can't) go virtual, why not just run a backup every time before he gets on your PC? Programs like Veeam Agent for windows are free (you just need an email address that's not from a common "free address" company like google to register an account), easy to set up, and restoring your system only takes minutes in case he screws up.

Sea Torques
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Elizara View Post

Software your friend was talking about is most likely Reboot Restore RX or Deep-Freeze. These program types will restore pc on reboot to whatever it was at the time you originally setup the program.

My boss has had me install RRRX before on some pcs that were going to be used for public access. Installing isn't hard but updating/adding to the saved image it uses is very annoying.

Like the others have said above a virtual machine enviroment would probably be best. Lets him mess around as much as he needs to and your configurations are untouched.

In either case you can use windows10 to create a image backup. If he does nuke the OS, you can return it to the point that image was created.

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Our university used Deep Freeze way back. Each time you log off/in that's where it resets. It was slow and evil.

I wondered how long those hard disks last

She Shoots For The Stars
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Elizara Paksenarrion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

I'll look into that stuff guys before he gets serious. (Imaging, maybe one of those programs, maybe a VM; I do use a VM with Ubuntu for looking at sketchy sites as it is) I do trust him, but I'd rather have some protection against the inevitable "OOOPS!", which is why I was looking into options. (I swear, screwups happen no matter how careful a guy is. Especially when you're just learning.)

I also told him once he gets the MS certs (updated, of course) he should look for Cisco and maybe set him up a mini lab in his room in the basement; since he told me he learns better hands on, I think that'd be a better way to study for that than just books. I'm just trying to encourage him so maybe he can get the job he dreamed of when he graduated from a 2 year school years ago, and I know he's listening. Keep your fingers crossed, folks. ^^